Page 26 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #251
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    An amendment...you do know what the amendment process is, 2/3rds majority and all of that....would "yank" the issue away from Constituents? Really? What other federal emendment yanks decision making from the constituent?
    None so far, and I'd like to keep it that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel
    Can we stop the federal funds supporting your fair city then? I mean if it ain;t none of my business.......why should ANYTHING going on in DC...ACORN, poverty, AIDS, crime, gun control, why should ANY of it be under government purview, correct? Sure you've thought this argument out, it sounds unreasonable to me. Unrealistic and flat out silly really.
    Every state in the country has ACORN, poverty, AIDS, crime, and gun control...yet the federal government doesn't have veto power over anyone else's laws. Congress should butt out and let the people of DC run DC, unless the law somehow interferes with the operations of the federal government.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-16-09 at 09:45 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #252
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by epicdude86 View Post
    extend that to firearms (conceal and carry) permits and i'm in.
    k

    ...................

  3. #253
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Funny because you certainly did a good job of convincing us you were ignorant of that fact.
    Here's where I ask you to back up your stupid assertions and you make the next asinine remark... rinse/repeat

    /bored
    Last edited by Taylor; 12-16-09 at 10:28 PM.

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    As far as the federal government is concerned:
    1) Marriage is a 1 man 1 women arrangement
    2) No state must recognize homosexual marriages from other states
    Here's where you make a statement that somewhat indicates you believe in a sort of...Federal infallibility...on the subject...

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    As far as the Federal Government was concerned:
    -Slavery was legal
    -Separate but Equal was legal
    -Production and Sale of Alcohol was illegal
    -Marriage was between consenting adults of the same skin color
    -Women and Minorities used to not be allowed to vote.

    Shall I go on? Or can you see that nothing is really set in stone, especially cultural and societal issues.

    Anyone have any other Federal laws that have been repealed or overturned?
    I interject, and make a damn fine point if I do say so my self.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Yes, everyone here understands that we're allowed to change the law.
    You deflect it without so much as a tiny justification or clarification of your post.

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Funny because you certainly did a good job of convincing us you were ignorant of that fact.
    He has a point. Perhaps you should have elaborated instead of going for the little quip you posted.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Here's where I ask you to back up your stupid assertions and you make the next asinine remark... rinse/repeat

    /bored
    Once again no substance, all deflection.

    /you

  5. #255
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Here's where you make a statement that somewhat indicates you believe in a sort of...Federal infallibility...on the subject...
    I stated the law, plain and simple. There's no statement supporting "federal infallibility" in anything I've written, so I believe you'll have to admit you were jumping to conclusions.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    You deflect it without so much as a tiny justification or clarification of your post.
    You were stating the obvious. I really don't know what you want me to do with that.

    If I happen to mention the Constitution, do I need to also list all the amendments and a disclaimer at the bottom explaining how the process works?
    Last edited by Taylor; 12-17-09 at 02:31 AM.

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    As far as the Federal Government was concerned:
    -Slavery was legal
    -Separate but Equal was legal
    -Production and Sale of Alcohol was illegal
    -Marriage was between consenting adults of the same skin color
    -Women and Minorities used to not be allowed to vote.

    Shall I go on? Or can you see that nothing is really set in stone, especially cultural and societal issues.

    Anyone have any other Federal laws that have been repealed or overturned?
    The second amendment?

    Oh wait they're still working on that one.

  7. #257
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Sorry but that's what the law is.
    \

    The law is not infallible, that is the reason the Supreme Court of the United States exists. Our Constitution sets nothing on a standard of infallibility, and our Declaration of Independence gives that status only to the universal rights of man. You, as an American citizen, should recognize this and realize that "right" and "wrong" are not determined by federal fiat. Which leads me to my critique of EpicDude86:

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    As far as the Federal Government was concerned:

    -Slavery was legal
    -Separate but Equal was legal
    -Production and Sale of Alcohol was illegal
    -Marriage was between consenting adults of the same skin color
    -Women and Minorities used to not be allowed to vote.

    Shall I go on? Or can you see that nothing is really set in stone, especially cultural and societal issues.

    Anyone have any other Federal laws that have been repealed or overturned?
    With the exception of slavery, all of these were overturned by the courts or the Supreme Court, not by federal statute. Therefore, you cannot logically use them as a defense of a legal statue. Even slavery is not applicable, because it was made illegal by Constitutional Amendment. So, unless you intend to propose that we amend our constitution you are using inapplicable examples to depend your point, although I do support the spirit of your argument.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

  8. #258
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    The law is not infallible, that is the reason the Supreme Court of the United States exists.
    Once again, I think everyone understands this.

  9. #259
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Once again, I think everyone understands this.
    On the contrary, by setting up federal laws as the basis for an argument on a moral debate, you put forth a indication of federal infallibility. If you had supplemented this with some sort of interpretation of why the federal government is right in this regard it would have been a different story. Still not one that I agree with, but a more difficult one to argue with than a post that uses a whole three lines to put forth federal law as the be all end all of a moral question.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

  10. #260
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    On the contrary, by setting up federal laws as the basis for an argument on a moral debate, you put forth a indication of federal infallibility....Still not one that I agree with, but a more difficult one to argue with than a post that uses a whole three lines to put forth federal law as the be all end all of a moral question.
    I hold no such view. Assuming you read the entire three lines, I think you'll find I made no such argument. Frankly, I didn't make an argument whatsoever with that post, nor did I intend to - it was just a simple summary of the DOMA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •