Page 16 of 149 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #151
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    That's a false analogy. Sexual orientation is not a "behavior". It's a hard-wired personality trait. Homosexuals have no choice in the matter.

    skin color / sexual orientation are analogous. A person does not have a 'choice' in the matter.

    Blacks in CA opposed Prop 8 because of a last-minute push by their religious leaders. The Sunday before that election, many large congregations got an earful of Biblical misinterpretations. Hispanics in Catholics churches got the same thing.

    Since that election many have realized they made a mistake. If Prop 8 were to be voted on again next November, it would not pass.


    so it's all just the 'evil church'?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #152
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    We just get a little antsy when the legislature deny the people the right to vote on an issue. Not something you liberals care much about as long as its in your favor.

    And there is no human rights law. Nice try.

    So if a man and a 12 year old girl wanted to marry and the council who supported it denied a vote to stop the decision by the people to vote citing "human rights" you would support it as well?


    Step into my parlor said the spider to the fly....
    um...there's law in place against that, right?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  3. #153
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    um...there's law in place against that, right?

    Not according to Jerry Lee Lewis.....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #154
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Since that election many have realized they made a mistake. If Prop 8 were to be voted on again next November, it would not pass.
    Last I heard, it's NOT going to be voted on next November. It seems the backers who put their money where there mouth is aren't nearly as chipper about their prospects as you are:

    Marc Solomon, marriage director for Equality California, said he spent June and early July asking the opinions of nearly two dozen California political consultants and pollsters and had been surprised by the almost unanimous opinion that a 2010 race was a bad idea.

    “I expected having watched the protests and the real pain that the L.G.B.T. community had experienced that there would be some real measurable remorse in the electorate,” Mr. Solomon said, referring to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. “But if you look at the poll numbers since November, they really haven’t moved at all.”
    Last edited by Taylor; 12-16-09 at 01:51 PM.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why are 'ballot measures' the last thing you come to in affecting change in the law of the land? Shouldn't that be the first?
    Ballot measures should be the last resort unless attempting to change the Constitution itself.



    Is anyone that doesn't agree with a specific agenda like that found in the homosexual community, just an 'ignorant jackhole'?
    You can disagree with it all you want. I couldn't care less whether you approve or disapprove because frankly, your acceptance is irrelevant to me.

    However, when someone goes out of their way to impose that lack of acceptance and that disapproval into codefied law to hinder my ability to transfer property, visit my partner int he hospital, pass wealth without tax penalty, etc...then yeah, I kinda look at that person as a knuckledragging moron who is attempting to make me the object of their control issues.



    What are the 'failings' endemic in society currently that you see as the downfall of those opposed to SSM?


    j-mac
    The family structure is already breaking down. I see that as a result of certain segments of society refusing to focus their attention on their own family relationships in favor of projecting that energy outward in an attempt to stop others from peacefully enjoying their relationships. "Family values" leaders have a pattern of being exposed as some of the most morally corrupted individuals in the country. Marriage is already treated with such flippant disregard that the whole sanctity argument is laughable at best but most often pitiful upon close examination.

    The moral opposition to gay marriage is sad.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    What rights are those mean, ignorant jackasses trying to take away?
    Read the ****ing thread.

  7. #157
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Ballot measures should be the last resort unless attempting to change the Constitution itself.

    Nonsense. You mean to tell me that you think that the court system should ultimately decide what the law of the land is, even if it runs contrary to the will of the people? Isn't there a middle ground?


    You can disagree with it all you want. I couldn't care less whether you approve or disapprove because frankly, your acceptance is irrelevant to me.

    I don't believe I said either way, in fact the closest you can find in this thread would I think lead one to believe I was in favor of gay rights.


    However, when someone goes out of their way to impose that lack of acceptance and that disapproval into codefied law to hinder my ability to transfer property, visit my partner int he hospital, pass wealth without tax penalty, etc...then yeah, I kinda look at that person as a knuckledragging moron who is attempting to make me the object of their control issues.

    I agree, however, does that give you, or the gay community to legislate through fiat?


    The family structure is already breaking down. I see that as a result of certain segments of society refusing to focus their attention on their own family relationships in favor of projecting that energy outward in an attempt to stop others from peacefully enjoying their relationships. "Family values" leaders have a pattern of being exposed as some of the most morally corrupted individuals in the country. Marriage is already treated with such flippant disregard that the whole sanctity argument is laughable at best but most often pitiful upon close examination.

    Not that I disagree completely, but what do you think is the catalyst to this breakdown?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #158
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    However, monogamy doesn't preclude SSM does it?


    j-mac
    I don't thank conservatives enough, but this warrants a thanks. SSM is monogamous. Polygamy is a separate issue entirely, and a red herring always thrown into SSM debates, just as some one always has to bring in marriage to 12 year olds.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #159
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    um...there's law in place against that, right?
    Nothing in that human rights law addresses marriage in any shape or form.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  10. #160
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Because they are closed minded possibly?
    Or enlightened perhaps?
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •