Page 147 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149 LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #1461
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You have a much better understanding of research methods than does CC, but I disagree with the first statement. The use of a qualitative vs. quantitative approach is dictated by the research question and as such are perfectly "sufficient" for answering what it is intended to address. As with survey research, there are techniques that can be used to minimize bias.
    And, if you had bothered to read my other posts on this issue, you would notice that I explained how the development of the questionnaires, or as I termed them, research tools, in order to get accurate data is as important as the data itself. One of the best ways to identify what type of psychological issues one may have is by using the MMPI... a questionnaire that took years of development and has a good track record of accuracy.

    I already explained this, before. You are, as I said, wrong. Questionnaires, properly developed are more objective than any interview could be in this type of research.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #1462
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    While I'm not saying that this happens a lot, you can put bias into one depending on the sequence of the questions. I'm not disagreeing that they are the most objective, just point out that they aren't perfect.
    This is possible, and why the development of these tools is equally as important as the research itself. The right tool is easily the best way to obtain objective results in this kind of research.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #1463
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I explained this, similarly. He doesn't understand the difference between research and individual assessment. He won't get it.
    His debate style is to misrepresent or oversimplify his opponent's position. I like debating people like him in the sense that it forces me to make my argument more and more concise so that it can't be misrepresented or oversimplified but at a certain point he is forced to argue definitions or to distort the argument, and that is when it no longer makes sense to debate with him.

  4. #1464
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    The funny thing is, all the arguments here have been used before against interracial marriage - why are the arguments any more valid now than they were then?

  5. #1465
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    The funny thing is, all the arguments here have been used before against interracial marriage - why are the arguments any more valid now than they were then?
    Because race is viewed as something that can't be changed and sexual orientation as viewed as something that can be changed.

    The biggest predictor for support of same sex marriage is whether a person believes sexual orientation it is changeable or not.

  6. #1466
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Because race is viewed as something that can't be changed and sexual orientation as viewed as something that can be changed.

    The biggest predictor for support of same sex marriage is whether a person believes sexual orientation it is changeable or not.
    Not necessarily, I know people who think it's a choice but still support it for the sake of liberty.

  7. #1467
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Rinse, repeat, texmaster. You still don't understand the debate, how to debate, or how badly you are failing at this. I'm sure that you will remain uneducatable on any of these factors, but continuing to demonstrate how poorly you have done here, amuses me, so I will do so again.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Look at all those facts. Still up to the same old games I see.
    Still can't grasp the understanding of this.



    I understand how the Constitution works. I understand we have our own laws and I understand how stupid it would be to look to other countries to write our own laws considering the broad spectrum of opinion out there.

    You simply can't understand that.
    Not what I said. You didn't understand the argument... as usual. Re-read what I said and try again.



    Try not to stand so close to the microwave. Perhaps it will help.
    Try reading what is read and actually trying to understand the debate. It might help.



    That like many of your points makes no sense. It is not up to me to prove it should stay that way. Once again you fail miserably on not only how to debate but how laws get changed. It is up to YOU to bring forth the argument.

    But you've never understood this up to this point so I'm not hopeful you will understand it now.
    You still don't understand your error. Your argument makes no sense. Just because something has always been done a particular way is no PROOF that it is good. See, because of my destruction of your logic, YOU HAVE PROVEN NOTHING. I, however, have proven that they are equal. Me, 1, you, nothing.



    hahahhahaha Now you've fallen into the race and gender argument. So typical of pro gay marriage argument. Once again, race and gender is scientifically proven to be genetic, gay marriage IS NOT. You might as well compare hair color to hair styles
    As usual, you missed the concept of what I was saying. I demonstrated how illogical your position is. Nothing to do with genetics. Choose hair styles. If people with curly hair styles have never been allowed to vote, does that make it right? NO...all it does it make it law. But, we are not discussing law, here. We are discussing logic... of which you have none. Let's see if you understand what I just said. I doubt it.



    Still running away from the argument I see.
    Still don't understand the argument I see.



    LOL So if I find a country that executes gays because they claim its deviant behavior then gays are deviant.
    If there is evidence to support their claim that gays are deviant, then the claim should be considered. See how logic works?

    My God the stupidity of what you are saying is beyond words. You can't even grasp the other side of the coin can you?
    Of course I can. You, however, have demonstrated no ability to see the other side of the issue, or to understand the issue at all.



    Thats a bald face lie and I challenge you to provide the exact quote where I made that claim. Sloppy debating when you can't even remember whom you are debating.
    Here's the sequence:

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    2. Ignoring the countries that have legalized same sex marriage and making a fallacious argument that it would be somehow harmful to this country.
    Your response:

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Lesson #2 Laws passed in other countries are inconsequential since we do not live under a world government.
    If this is NOT what you meant, you need to be more clear. Either you meant what I presented, or you are again going with the legal argument... irrelevant to this discussion. Either way, you lose.



    No, we are not. Check the OP of this thread. Its incredible you can't even follow basic sentence structure.
    Yeah we are...the thread has drifted to the issue I described. It's incredible you can't follow a simple conversation.



    LOL This coming from the guy who just said we should follow what other counrtries do on gay marriage as long as it perscribes to your train of thought.
    "Bald faced lie". Quote where I said that. I have not argued legalities at all, so you're not going to find it. I accept your apology in advance.



    Again, another bald faced lie. I never EVER made that statement. Your sloppyness and poor attnetion to detail strikes again.
    You're right. You just confirmed it with your response. See above.



    Actually you need to try and stay focused on who you are debating. You've obviously gotten sloppy in your responses.
    Not at all. You need to try to actually understand what we are debating.



    I'm not the one trying to label your arguments then running away claiming the label obfuscates you from debating the point. Thats your side.
    You're the one making completely illogical arguments. It would be nice if you actually had some substance of which to discuss.



    Are we back in forth grade now? Whats next? Are you going to try and steal my pencils? Amazing how immature you get when you are challenged.
    Just responding to your immature, snarky comment. Can't take it? Don't do it.



    You can't even grasp the OP can you? This is a debate about changing the LAW. Not a philosophical debate on your feelings about gay marriage. Its about supporting an argument to change the law. But since you can't do that you try and change the argument to a philosophical one because you think you can live in the world of theory and proclaim victory without evidence. Sorry sport, it doesn't work that way.
    Please... this thread has morphed from the OP long ago. This is how conversation works. But even with that, I have clearly shown both through evidence and logic how it would be appropriate to change the law. You have demonstrated nothing but logical fallacies to support your position. In other words, you've got NOTHING.



    You've explained this opinion of yours yes.
    It is factual, something that you have completely failed in refuting.



    There are unsupervised questionaires not evidence.
    Incorrect, but since you don't understand research methodology, I don't expect you to get it.



    Back that fantasy up about polygamy not being able to raise healthy children. 1/4 of all countries have polygamy so once again this is another uneducated and ignorant statement made by a desperate individual seeing his arguments fall down like a house of cards under any real scrutiny. You are once again pulling facts from the lower end of your back and as usual with nothing to support them. Besides, since you are still having trouble with paying attention to detail, the argument was based on the right to marry, not the ability to raise children. I wish you would actually pay attention to detail. It would clear things up far quicker and I wouldn't have to draw it in crayon for you over and over again.
    Wait... YOU'RE basing your refutation on evidence from other countries?!!! You are a walking, talking contradiction. Further, you have presented nothing to disprove what I said. And lastly, believing that the argument is about the right to marry is oversimplifying a complex issue... not surprising for you. One must explore WHY folks would have the right to marry. THAT'S what this debate is about. The fact that you don't know that is why you've failed at it.



    Yes, IT DOES. I ask you again, what other explanation is there? Immaculate Conception? You can't even support these ignorant theories of yours.
    No it does not. Procreation is irrelevant to sexual orienation. A gay person can procreate, biologically... and often does. Yet, they are still gay. There... logic. Procreation is irrelevant to sexual orientation.



    LOL Which again does not make it genetic because it appears in history any more than cannibilism is genetic because it appears in history.

    Heterosexuality is a BIOLOGICAL REQUIREMENT FOR PROCREATION. ITS A PROVEN FACT. You have NOTHING to support a biological or genetic argument for homosexuality AT ALL. That is why you continue to loose this argument over and over again. Frankly, its getting pretty sad watching you try to peddle this ignorance without a shred of evidence to support you over and over again.
    And you continue tio lose because you still do not understand the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behavior. A gay person can procreate. Yet, they can still be gay. No absolute connection between sexual orientation and sexual behavior, and procreatio is irrelevant to sexual behavior. Simple logic. Your lack of it is why your position is an absolute nothing.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #1468
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    His debate style is to misrepresent or oversimplify his opponent's position. I like debating people like him in the sense that it forces me to make my argument more and more concise so that it can't be misrepresented or oversimplified but at a certain point he is forced to argue definitions or to distort the argument, and that is when it no longer makes sense to debate with him.
    This is how I see it. His arguments are so illogical, it gives me an opportunity to demonstrate how logic works in debate.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #1469
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Ok this is worse than I thought. Let's try to deal with this first bit of your argument to get the logic juices flowing. You've made a couple of claims:

    1) Lots of kids + effective parenting = justification
    2) Few kids + effective parenting = justification ( "Demonstrate that there are children being raised by incestuous couples and that those couples are capable of effectively raising children, and I'll support incestuous marriage too." )

    Now from those two claims it would seem that the number of kids doesn't really matter to you so long as there are at least some, and that there is evidence of effective parenting.

    Do you want to backtrack on the statement you made on 2) or concede that the number of children isn't terribly relevant? It doesn't matter to me, I'm just identifying your premises here to illustrate why your argument is weak.
    I'm still wondering when we are going to see you present what your position actually is.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #1470
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    Why? I would completely agree.

    They might not always be truthful considering that people might lie, but it is definitely the most objective.
    When you say "most objective" what are you comparing it with?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •