Page 145 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #1441
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You have provided no stats that are relevant. Either do so, stop claiming you have, or continue to lie and troll and you will be thread banned. Your choice. Consider this an official warning.
    Consider this my saving you the effort of a "thread ban." On my way out, I'll remind you the clarity of the current reality we have here. You're currently 0-1 against my arguments, hopefully I've enlightened you to fatherless household realities, the rights We the People possess to define our own institutions, and the realization that addressing process, rather than content, doesn't win you arguments. It in fact exposes weaknesses within your own and reduces your ability to sound rational.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  2. #1442
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Consider this my saving you the effort of a "thread ban." On my way out, I'll remind you the clarity of the current reality we have here. You're currently 0-1 against my arguments, hopefully I've enlightened you to fatherless household realities, the rights We the People possess to define our own institutions, and the realization that addressing process, rather than content, doesn't win you arguments. It in fact exposes weaknesses within your own and reduces your ability to sound rational.
    This is an odd concession statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #1443
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Consider this my saving you the effort of a "thread ban." On my way out, I'll remind you the clarity of the current reality we have here. You're currently 0-1 against my arguments, hopefully I've enlightened you to fatherless household realities, the rights We the People possess to define our own institutions, and the realization that addressing process, rather than content, doesn't win you arguments. It in fact exposes weaknesses within your own and reduces your ability to sound rational.
    Your Fatherless argument does not hold up for gay/lesbian couples raising Children, as studies show that they are neither better now worse off in life than those raised by heterosexual couples. Your studies applied to single parent households, and households with step-parents that are most likely introduced late in the child's psychological development. Neither statistic applies anywhere in this argument. So, you are the one with the 0-1 score. We, on the other hand, are 1 for 0.

  4. #1444
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And I don't need to ask anyone. It's what I do for a living. Questionnaires are the best and most objective tools when doing research.
    When you make blanket statements like that, it shows you don't know what you're talking about. Questionnaires have their uses, but to claim that they're the "best and most objective tools" for research is just bs.

  5. #1445
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You're confused again. I didn't say your argument was illogical, I said it was weak.


    It sounds like you're on to another epiphany - the number of children isn't terribly relevant. That leaves us with:

    P1: Same sex marriage would be good for children of gay and lesbian parents
    C: Therefore, we should legalize gay marriage.

    Still not much of an argument, even if we were to add in your second premise:
    P2: Homosexual parents don't screw up their kids
    Still trying the straw man tactic I see.

    No, you will not reduce my argument. The number of children does make a difference in this case. I'm arguing that 8 to 10 million children benefiting is justification for same sex marriage. What I'm using is a basic legal precedent, that a great number of children would benefit from such a decision and virtually none would be harmed. You cannot make that case with incestuous marriage, due to lack of sufficient number of children being raised incestuous couples and lack of body of evidence supporting their ability to effectively raise children. In essence, you would have to prove not only that changing the law would be beneficial to children of incestuous couples, but also that it would have no negative affect on any number of children. You cannot do that without a body of evidence supporting the parenting of incestuous couples.

    I know it would be convenient for you to simplify my argument to a straw man of "same sex marriage would be good for children of gay and lesbian parents" but it isn't that simple. The number of children and the evidence supporting their parenting are factors in my argument, and choosing to ignore them does not make them go away.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 12-29-09 at 03:34 PM.

  6. #1446
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    When you make blanket statements like that, it shows you don't know what you're talking about. Questionnaires have their uses, but to claim that they're the "best and most objective tools" for research is just bs.
    Especially psychological research.

    He still can't answer why psychiatrists and psychotherapists actually have offices if questionnaires would suffice. Or how he dismisses the entire field of body language. Its just a sad representation of someone who is clearly out of his league.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #1447
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Consider this my saving you the effort of a "thread ban." On my way out, I'll remind you the clarity of the current reality we have here. You're currently 0-1 against my arguments, hopefully I've enlightened you to fatherless household realities, the rights We the People possess to define our own institutions, and the realization that addressing process, rather than content, doesn't win you arguments. It in fact exposes weaknesses within your own and reduces your ability to sound rational.
    You are 0 for Idaho on ALL of your arguments, since they either do not support your position, or are not pertinent to the subject...as has been explained to you over and over. I doubt you have learned anything from this thread, either about the subject or how to debate. You refuse to. Hold on to your inaccuracies, Charles. Let us know when you get your head out of the sand.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #1448
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    When you make blanket statements like that, it shows you don't know what you're talking about. Questionnaires have their uses, but to claim that they're the "best and most objective tools" for research is just bs.
    For the type of research we are discussing, they are. Sorry, but you are wrong about this... not surprisingly.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #1449
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Especially psychological research.

    He still can't answer why psychiatrists and psychotherapists actually have offices if questionnaires would suffice. Or how he dismisses the entire field of body language. Its just a sad representation of someone who is clearly out of his league.
    All qualitative measure are insufficient in and of themselves and subject to bias. A questionnaire is considerably more standardized and quantifiable than an interview and is also less subject to bias. That isn't to say that questionnaires are perfect, because they rely on self report and everything from how and when it is administered to how the questions are interpreted can substantially change the results. However, the fact that they are quantifiable gives them greater objective legitimacy than interviews. The best tool for psychological research are experiments, but the conditions to control variables in experiments can alter behavior and it is sometimes unethical or implausible to create the conditions in a laboratory setting.

    However, psychology as a science has one thing working for it. Human behavior is rather consistent, despite being difficult to measure. As a result, questionnaires can constantly be improved so that they do a better job of measuring what they are suppose to measure.

  10. #1450
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Especially psychological research.

    He still can't answer why psychiatrists and psychotherapists actually have offices if questionnaires would suffice. Or how he dismisses the entire field of body language. Its just a sad representation of someone who is clearly out of his league.
    And you still don't understand the difference between research and assessment. You're so far out of your league on this, you're in a different sport entirely.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •