Page 143 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #1421
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You still don't get it. I'm not arguing for and have never argued for incestuous marriages. I was pointing out that the "logic" you provided to support your conclusion was so vague and generic that it could just as easily be applied for things that nobody wants or is arguing for (e.g. incestuous marriage).
    If you are trying to argue that something is illogical, then perhaps you shouldn't use an illogical comparison to do it.

    You have no rationale for why we should help large groups of children but not small groups of children.
    By "small groups of children" I'm assuming you mean those raised by incestuous couples. Same sex couples are proven to be capable parents, incestuous couples are not. I'll support the marriage of couples who have a body of evidence supporting their effectiveness as parents.

    Maybe you just don't care about children.
    Of course I care about children. Demonstrate that there are children being raised by incestuous couples and that those couples are capable of effectively raising children, and I'll support incestuous marriage too.

  2. #1422
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    The content that children suffer from no father in the home is relevant. the issue of step parents....is relevant. the fact that all the research..that is miniscule to date...doesn't compare parenting skills as you're trying to do, the research finds for better AND WORSE, children suffer the same fates. The increased risks of step parenting are just as real, the lack of a male father in the home having devastating effects are just as real, these are ALL relevant issues.

    I have stayed right on message. Orientation has nothing to do with parenting skills whatosever. It doesn't make you a worse parent...it doesn't make you a better one either. You cannot be a female father in any home even if you'd like to be. Similarly, one cannot be a male mother in any home.

    And is why the nuclear, two parent male father and female mother remaining married and in the home.....is BY FAR...the best scenario for children we know of and has had multiple effects on each and all of us. Every one of us. This is concrete and a pillar of my sound argument you cannot touch to date but rather..address process and claim to know what I understand and do not understand. This is a platform in my argument that marriage should remain 1) defined by society, we the People 2) it be realized that a one man and one woman relationship called marriage should remain unique, should remain THE primary and most sought after relationship in our society and culture, all others are secondary. Children should remain THE PRIMARY reason for marriage, the reason the woman takes the man's name, the reason the children are then given that name.

    Now...want to change it all....go through proper channels and convince the rest of us you are correct. Give some actual truth and fact, rely on something other than "yer not reasonable"..."you don't understand"...you're process is all wrong." Cause, that's a huge deflection...is about as transparent as Casper the friendly ghost and is the same ol lame and tired nonsense others are trying to use in here.

    Then continue to make an even better case than that as....you've got influential constituents such as myself who don't give your same sex marriage arguments much respect as they aren't founded in anything but agenda driven drivel.

    Next.
    You still don't get it... and probably never will. YOUR agenda prevents you from understanding how to debate. You have shown no evidence that demonstrates that gay parent household do worse than than straight parent households. Until you do, you lose. Simple as that. Further, all of what you wrote above is what YOU believe, and is your opinion. As I've told you before, that and a quarter is worth... a quarter.

    I will repost something you said above:
    And is why the nuclear, two parent male father and female mother remaining married and in the home.....is BY FAR...the best scenario for children we know of and has had multiple effects on each and all of us.
    Prove it. With links and evidence. I already have proven that the children of gay parents do as well as those of straight parents. I want to see you provide evidence that demonstrates that children of gay parents do worse than those of straight parents. Links. If you do not and you make the claim that you have provided evidence, [B]I will thread ban you for trolling.[B] That's all you are doing when you claim that you have provided evidence for something that you have not. And sorry, comparing single parent households [B]doesn't cut it.[B] It is invalid evidence in the context we are discussing. Perhaps I cannot teach you how to debate, as it is obvious that you do not know how. But I CAN stop you from mucking up the thread with non-contextual evidence. Put up, or stop. Your choice.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #1423
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Name calling doesn't impress me, my stats haven't begun to be challenged. It would be easier if you'd admit your agenda and that you consider denial a river in Egypt.
    You have provided no stats that are relevant. Either do so, stop claiming you have, or continue to lie and troll and you will be thread banned. Your choice. Consider this an official warning.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #1424
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,169

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If you are trying to argue that something is illogical, then perhaps you shouldn't use an illogical comparison to do it.
    You're confused again. I didn't say your argument was illogical, I said it was weak.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    By "small groups of children" I'm assuming you mean those raised by incestuous couples. Same sex couples are proven to be capable parents, incestuous couples are not. I'll support the marriage of couples who have a body of evidence supporting their effectiveness as parents.

    Of course I care about children. Demonstrate that there are children being raised by incestuous couples and that those couples are capable of effectively raising children, and I'll support incestuous marriage too.
    It sounds like you're on to another epiphany - the number of children isn't terribly relevant. That leaves us with:

    P1: Same sex marriage would be good for children of gay and lesbian parents
    C: Therefore, we should legalize gay marriage.

    Still not much of an argument, even if we were to add in your second premise:
    P2: Homosexual parents don't screw up their kids

  5. #1425
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You still don't get it. I'm not arguing for and have never argued for incestuous marriages. I was pointing out that the "logic" you provided to support your conclusion was so vague and generic that it could just as easily be applied for things that nobody wants or is arguing for (e.g. incestuous marriage). If you don't like that example, pick another that involves more children.

    Nonetheless, you have no rationale for why we should help large groups of children but not small groups of children.

    Maybe you just don't care about children.
    You know what, Taylor? We've been discussing issues in this thread for quite a while, and you have altered your position more times than I can count. Let's try this: why don't you post what your position actually is on gay marriage. Be clear and be concise. I've done this as have others. Let's see where you actually stand so we both know and can hold you to it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #1426
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,169

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You know what, Taylor? We've been discussing issues in this thread for quite a while, and you have altered your position more times than I can count.
    You've tried this claim before and I've shown it to be false.

  7. #1427
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    You've tried this claim before and I've shown it to be false.
    I've shown it to be true. And you STILL haven't presented your position in a clear way. One paragraph, Taylor. Should be easy enough.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #1428
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,169

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I've shown it to be true.
    Give me some examples

  9. #1429
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Give me some examples
    Can't present your position?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #1430
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Give me some examples
    Is he still running around demanding proof that sexual organs are meant for procreation?
    Last edited by texmaster; 12-29-09 at 03:38 AM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •