Page 136 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #1351
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    Nope - all involved parties are consenting adults with legal standing and are of age. I don't give a crap who you choose to file joint property taxes with or whatever.
    you will have to forgive me, but bangin' your mom, dad, brother or sis is SICK. and who the hell would want more than one spouse?? isnt one argument enough? my opinion on the whole gay marriage thing is hey, bang who you want, just don't ask the rest of society, whom the great majority of disagrees with it, to 'sanction' it....

  2. #1352
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    How? There are religions which sanctify same sex marriage.
    So what? We as a nation don't sanctify same sex marriage.

    Can you read? Are you blind?
    What utter nonsense.

    I am disgusted. You want to hurt children for Christ sakes!
    So what if you're disgsuted and children risk the most harm without both natural parents at home.

    My agenda is looking out for the children in this country.
    I'm clearly not convinced this is true. In fact, I know it ain't.

    All the credible evidence that actually looks at the parenting of same sex couples indicates that children raised by them are no better or worse adjusted than those of different sex couples.
    EXACLTY! No better and no worse. So....no father in the home would impact 'gay' families just as severely huh? And no Mother...no female living in the home would bring just as much strife...huh. And the step parent risk factors...that is the same with 'gay' couples as well, huh?

    Or...you could ridiculously argue that as long as two parents are there.....gender isn't a factor whatsoever. And that would be lying to yourself, because nearly all of us having this conversation...have either a mother or a father that could NEVER be replaced by another female or male mcuh less pretend a father could mother or vice versa.

    It is your argument that leaves children behind, your blindness that pretends gender deosn't matter. It does.
    Last edited by Charles Martel; 12-28-09 at 04:28 PM.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  3. #1353
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Not giving children all they deserve is a mortal sin in my religion is what I wrote, please read carefully.
    And what I wrote is "We don't give a crap what you believe since this is a secular republic". QED.

    They don't compare children of gay parents to children of straight parents. And extgernal factors do make a huge difference like....not having a male in your home as a male child, we know that ain't a good thing.
    No, it's not that. Many other psychological studies suffer the same problems as those concerning same sex couples rearing children. Lets see how much you really know about the scientific method in terms of psychology.

    So your problem is against *lesbian* couples, not gay male couples. I see. Still, you'r entirely incorrect - as anyone who knows anything about developmental psychology will tell you.

    You're talking about that, marriage isn't a contract in my opinion. I've said why many times.
    Ah see, there is a delta between "in your opinion" and "the facts about the suject matter". I don't gloss over the nastier and more laconic points of the subject, nor should you if you are going to make a logically defensible position.

    We don't ask. Again...we ask about gender, family relationship, and if you;re already married.....because we do consider marriage that important, many realities concerning normal contracts(like gender and whether you're currently under contract) do apply. Get it now?
    So, it really *isn't* about children and all that it's just about keeping your precious christian institution intact for fear of losing one of the last points of influence the church has over modern society, is that right?

    Obviously if you "don't ask" then it really isn't all that important, otherwise you would. If I was making property contracts *I* would like to know if one or either parties were ineligible for the given purpose of that contract - then again, basic logic is in fact in my sphere of influence.



    Cause I'm right.
    Yeah right - I suppose the anti-miscegenators were "right" too, ne?

    Ask your 'gay' Californians trying to get a marriage license, I'm afraid the judiciary isn;t all you need.
    Oh, I wasn't talking about the state courts. And why do you say 'gay' in apostrophes? Another paraprax perhaps?

    Do you understand the meaning of the phrase Sic Semper Tyrannis and why I use it on the majority.

  4. #1354
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    you will have to forgive me, but bangin' your mom, dad, brother or sis is SICK. and who the hell would want more than one spouse?? isnt one argument enough? my opinion on the whole gay marriage thing is hey, bang who you want, just don't ask the rest of society, whom the great majority of disagrees with it, to 'sanction' it....
    I think it's distasteful too - however, civil rights means the freedom for people to say and do what you hate or find distasteful as well as things you like. I hate the KKK, but I will fight for their right to free speech any day.

  5. #1355
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    I think it's distasteful too - however, civil rights means the freedom for people to say and do what you hate or find distasteful as well as things you like. I hate the KKK, but I will fight for their right to free speech any day.
    on incest...civil rights my arse...there is a reason we don't allow it, a very good one.

  6. #1356
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    on incest...civil rights my arse...there is a reason we don't allow it, a very good one.
    Naturally, the potential harm to children that might result from it - it will have to be worked out, but meh. There is a delta between marriage and chidren.

  7. #1357
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    And what I wrote is "We don't give a crap what you believe since this is a secular republic".
    Many decisions concerning marriage and morality are made by this secular republic with religion shaping moral compasses on decisions from marriage to abortion to prostitution. Secular society where the majority have a belief in God....correct?

    Like...if you're getting divorced and trying to decide on property and children and when in court you raise your right hand and swear to tell the wholr truth...so help you God. When our President takes the oath, God in mentioned. When judges and legislators are sworn in to their secular position in government, they swear to God. You...did know this?

    No, it's not that. Many other psychological studies suffer the same problems as those concerning same sex couples rearing children. Lets see how much you really know about the scientific method in terms of psychology.
    Ok...let's see!

    So your problem is against *lesbian* couples, not gay male couples. I see. Still, you'r entirely incorrect - as anyone who knows anything about developmental psychology will tell you.
    My problem in against "lesbian" couples? What?

    I love lesbian couples. I was actually upset when they came out with the Brokeback mountain movie, why couldn't it have been two female farmhands....two Playboy models wrestling with their 'gayness' complete with an on screen love scene! I would have actually gone to see that movie, as it was....they put two men in the film......how disappointing. I wonder if they realized should it have been two women, people would have actually gone to see it. As it stands, nobody did.

    Ah see, there is a delta between "in your opinion" and "the facts about the suject matter". I don't gloss over the nastier and more laconic points of the subject, nor should you if you are going to make a logically defensible position.
    My opinion is based on facts. Yours aren't. It's really that simple.

    So, it really *isn't* about children and all that it's just about keeping your precious christian institution intact for fear of losing one of the last points of influence the church has over modern society, is that right?
    All about keeping OUR institution of marriage defined by We the People, I've repeated this several times, please read my posts.

    Obviously if you "don't ask" then it really isn't all that important, otherwise you would. If I was making property contracts *I* would like to know if one or either parties were ineligible for the given purpose of that contract - then again, basic logic is in fact in my sphere of influence.
    We DO ask. I just said that....we DO ask.

    I suppose the anti-miscegenators were "right" too
    Suppose all you'd like.

    Oh, I wasn't talking about the state courts. And why do you say 'gay' in apostrophes? Another paraprax perhaps?
    'Gay' is used as it has so many meainings to so many people.

    Do you understand the meaning of the phrase Sic Semper Tyrannis and why I use it on the majority.
    I know you don't understand the phrase same sex marriage and thus I'm trying to teach you.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  8. #1358
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    - it will have to be worked out.
    It already has been worked out. In referedum.

    You're uh......0-31.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  9. #1359
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    So what? We as a nation don't sanctify same sex marriage.
    Appeal to majority. That was the 3rd of the 5 points I presented earlier in this thread. You really aren't doing yourself any favors by proving my point by actually using the fallacious arguments that I said you would use.

    What utter nonsense.
    Yes, I know. All evidence that you can't distort to fit your position is utter nonsense.

    So what if you're disgsuted and children risk the most harm without both natural parents at home.
    Charles you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

    You have no evidence to suggest that both sexes are necessary to raising a child. All you have is evidence that children raised by two parents are better off than children raised by one parent.

    The only thing you can use single parent stats for is to argue that single parent families are at a disadvantage to two parent families. You cannot isolate the variable of the effect of not having one gender or the other in those families. Of course, you can prove me wrong. Just account for these variables...

    1. Not having two incomes (because there are two parents as opposed to one)
    2. Not having twice as much attention from parents (because there are two parents as opposed to one)

    If you can prove that those two variables are not more likely to contribute to the disadvantages faced by children in single parent homes then I'll concede defeat. But I already know you can't do it, particularly because there are studies that compare single parent homes to same sex homes and find that the children of same sex homes are better off.

    I'm clearly not convinced this is true. In fact, I know it ain't.
    How do you know? The evidence indicates that children of gays and lesbians would benefit if same sex marriage was legal. You simply ignore that fact so that you can impose your "standards" and deem those families inferior without any evidence to support your position.

    EXACLTY! No better and no worse. So....no father in the home would impact 'gay' families just as severely huh? And no Mother...no female living in the home would bring just as much strife...huh. And the step parent risk factors...that is the same with 'gay' couples as well, huh?
    That makes no sense. The "no better or worse" statement means that children raised in same sex families turn out pretty much the same as those in different sex families. You are distorting the statement.

    Or...you could ridiculously argue that as long as two parents are there.....gender isn't a factor whatsoever. And that would be lying to yourself, because nearly all of us having this conversation...have either a mother or a father that could NEVER be replaced by another female or male mcuh less pretend a father could mother or vice versa.
    I am stating right here and right now and I challenge you to provide proof to indicate otherwise not based on single parent statistics that gender is not a factor whatsoever.

    It is your argument that leaves children behind, your blindness that pretends gender deosn't matter. It does.
    My "blindness" is based on evidence and reason. Unlike you who has to distort statistics and statements to support your perverted position. It's people like you who do the most harm in society because you refuse to accept reality for what it is simply because it does not agree with your religious sentiments. Both genders are not needed to raise a child! As long as there are two loving parents, it doesn't matter if they are different sexes or the same sexes, the children they raise will end up just the same. The fact that you ignore all the evidence that proves this to be true and choose to distort statistics of single parent homes to support your position, is proof of how blind you truly are. People like you hurt children.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 12-28-09 at 04:49 PM.

  10. #1360
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Many decisions concerning marriage and morality are made by this secular republic with religion shaping moral compasses on decisions from marriage to abortion to prostitution. Secular society where the majority have a belief in God....correct?
    The belief of the people is irrelevant, you cannot have a fair democratic republic that subscribes to religious viewpoints. Laicity all the way.

    Like...if you're getting divorced and trying to decide on property and children and when in court you raise your right hand and swear to tell the wholr truth...so help you God. When our President takes the oath, God in mentioned. When judges and legislators are sworn in to their secular position in government, they swear to God. You...did know this?
    Meh, ephemera that should be eliminated. Swearing to god demonstrates a lack of faith in the Republic anyway.

    See the thing is that while most Americans may have a nominal belief in the sky fairy, civil rights should and does not concen itself with people's imaginary friends. Separation of church and state is necessary to the preservation of liberty.

    Ok...let's see!
    Tell me what the problem with these studies are, then.

    My problem in against "lesbian" couples? What?
    You're bitching about the lack of a father figure, hence, two males ae OK by your argument.

    I love lesbian couples. I was actually upset when they came out with the Brokeback mountain movie, why couldn't it have been two female farmhands....two Playboy models wrestling with their 'gayness' complete with an on screen love scene! I would have actually gone to see that movie, as it was....they put two men in the film......how disappointing. I wonder if they realized should it have been two women, people would have actually gone to see it. As it stands, nobody did.
    You know, you really aren't funny. And many people *did* go to see it; people with a modicum of culture and cinematic understanding at least.

    My opinion is based on facts. Yours aren't. It's really that simple.
    Your opinion is based on popularist misconceptions, mine on a historical and anthropological analysis of the subject. Don't argue with a scholar, you will never win.

    All about keeping OUR institution of marriage defined by We the People, I've repeated this several times, please read my posts.
    We The People can be a nasty tyrant in many cases - a tyrant the founding fathers did in fact safeguard against.

    We DO ask. I just said that....we DO ask.
    You said "We don't" then "We do"; make up your mind.

    Suppose all you'd like.
    So they were, or they weren't, in your opinion?

    'Gay' is used as it has so many meainings to so many people.
    "Gay" in this context is homosexual - and it was probably a paraprax.

    I know you don't understand the phrase same sex marriage and thus I'm trying to teach you.
    Nice diversion. Please answer the original question; Do you understand what the phrase Sic Semper Tyrannis means and why I use it on the majority?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •