Page 135 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #1341
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    It reduces it to a contract, lowers standards, changes the definition.
    How? There are religions which sanctify same sex marriage.

    What evidence?
    The link to the journal from the American Academy of Pediatrics which you chose to ignore for some reason.

    The Effects of Marriage, Civil Union, and Domestic Partnership Laws on the Health and Well-being of Children -- Pawelski et al. 118 (1): 349 -- Pediatrics

    Can you read? Are you blind?

    You pretending to be disgusted doesn't even phase me. Why would you think it does? I couldn't care less if you're disgusted, it's irrelevant to our discussion. Be disgusted all you want, it's pretend and meant to score points...an attempt at the moral high ground. IT didn't work, be disgusted as you respond to me, I really don't care.
    I am disgusted. You want to hurt children for Christ sakes!

    Pretending children can be raised on the same standards minus either a mother or father in the home proves who has little concern for children. Your agenda stomps all over children, the purposeful removal of either the male or female from the home and calling it normal isn;t correct and you'll be taken to account for it. I cannot believe you'd be this ignorant or evil for that matter. Not giving children all they deserve is a mortal sin in my religion and flat out unethical in my opinion. How do you sleep at night?
    My agenda is looking out for the children in this country. That includes the 8 to 10 million children raised by gay parents. Your agenda is deny those children a family headed by a married couple simply because the parents are of the same sex. You have no rational basis for this, nor any evidence to indicate that same sex families are in any way inferior to different sex families. The best you can do is make arguments that since single parent families lack male or female parent, that proves that same sex couples are similarly disadvantaged, and that argument makes you look incredibly irrational. All the credible evidence that actually looks at the parenting of same sex couples indicates that children raised by them are no better or worse adjusted than those of different sex couples. The evidence indicates that they would be all the better adjusted if their same sex parents could marry. The fact that you ignore all this and choose to selectively interpret information, sometimes even irrationally, in order to support your position, is evidence of how weak your position truly is. The fact that every post you have to tell yourself how "right" you are and how "wrong" everyone else is, without any real evidence or reason to back it up, is evidence of how disillusioned you are.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 12-28-09 at 04:12 PM.

  2. #1342
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,168

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, it was a specific point that we agreed upon as a main factor. But even if you are backing off on that now, as it seems to suit you, if it is one of several factors, how can it also not be much of an argument?
    I'm not backing off of anything - you did agree with me on that. It's not much of an argument because he didn't really formulate one.

  3. #1343
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    Nope, I'm entirely right. Marriage is an inherently sexist and archaic institution from the days when women were chattel - why do you think there is a dowry, a giving away ceremony, etc etc.?
    That's the way those societies defined marriage, we have our own. And inherently sexist is true, roles are accepted and lived, it's sexist against the male as well. We've defined it that way.

    A
    nd quite frankly, both polygamy and incestuous marriages have been permitted throughou varying points in history (Mormons anyone?), it is only quite recently this "nuclear family" crap has been the focus of the institution.
    True. And if you'd prefer to have polygamy become the social norm...do so! Through either referendum or legislative endeavor, change the laws.

    I see no reason why incestuous and polygamous relationships should not be allowed - barring the genetic defects that can arise from any children born from the former.
    You may see no reason...but...you're not the only decider for society now...are you. I happen to think polygamy normally follows the multiple wives and only one husband scenario that I personally even find more sexist than the "inherently sexist" traditional marriage you speak to above. I think it dehumanizes women and therefore as a citizen, it isn't haow I would define marriage.

    And we...all together now....take all these considerations into....consideration..and then define our society's institutions. And in referendum...where same sex marriage is now 0-31, we've done that.

    I'm so glad we finally agree.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  4. #1344
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    Nope, I'm entirely right. Marriage is an inherently sexist and archaic institution from the days when women were chattel - why do you think there is a dowry, a giving away ceremony, etc etc.?

    And quite frankly, both polygamy and incestuous marriages have been permitted throughou varying points in history (Mormons anyone?), it is only quite recently this "nuclear family" crap has been the focus of the institution.

    I see no reason why incestuous and polygamous relationships should not be allowed - barring the genetic defects that can arise from any children born from the former.
    no reason?? your kidding

  5. #1345
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I'm not backing off of anything - you did agree with me on that. It's not much of an argument because he didn't really formulate one.
    Explain. I provided a link to a journal which supports my position.

  6. #1346
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    No one has even brought up religion, what are you talking about?
    "In my religion". Please, read what you type.

    Actually, there are some far reaching issues concerning no male in the home and issues concerning the increased risk of step parents. In either case, same sex marriage includes both increased risks and therefore, you're wrong.
    Sorry, I've gone through the science and medical journals and there is no statistically significant evidence; furthermore, the vast majority of studies on both sides are barely scientific due to external factors, just like how most studies concerning marijuana are barely scientific.

    Besides, gay marriage does not necessarily entail gay adoption of children - do not get the two issues confused. We are talking about the marriage contract here.

    We don't ask about age. We don;t ask about children. We don't ask about orientation. We ask about gender and if you're already married and about relations...If you're first cousins, no go. If I walk in with you my spone as straight as it gets, you're a lesbian....they allow us to marry. An unmarried gay man wants to marry an unwed lesbian woman......go for it.
    So marriage in your opinion is this almighty social instititution bound in with the very fabric of society and the answer you give me is: "We don't ask".

    Again, the anti-miscegenation arguments have been defeated before, what makes you think they will work this time around?

    Easy rules and if you don;t like them......change them. Behind a legislative or referendum endeavor.
    Sorry, the judiciary is all we need at this point. Sic semper tyrannis to the majority.
    Last edited by Warspite; 12-28-09 at 04:13 PM.

  7. #1347
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    no reason?? your kidding
    Nope - all involved parties are consenting adults with legal standing and are of age. I don't give a crap who you choose to file joint property taxes with or whatever.

  8. #1348
    Advisor Warspite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Here and There
    Last Seen
    01-08-10 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    478

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    That's the way those societies defined marriage, we have our own. And inherently sexist is true, roles are accepted and lived, it's sexist against the male as well. We've defined it that way.
    "Those societies"? What society do you think I'm talking about? America, the kingdom of the white christian heterosexual male.

    True. And if you'd prefer to have polygamy become the social norm...do so! Through either referendum or legislative endeavor, change the laws.
    In time, in time. I have more proximate fish to fry at the moment, like this gay marriage issue.

    You may see no reason...but...you're not the only decider for society now...are you. I happen to think polygamy normally follows the multiple wives and only one husband scenario that I personally even find more sexist than the "inherently sexist" traditional marriage you speak to above. I think it dehumanizes women and therefore as a citizen, it isn't haow I would define marriage.
    Who says only one husband? You're the one who came to that conclusion, not I - Paraprax maybe?

    And we...all together now....take all these considerations into....consideration..and then define our society's institutions. And in referendum...where same sex marriage is now 0-31, we've done that.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis to the majority. We will have our victory.

    I'm so glad we finally agree.
    Oh bugger off churchy, I wouldn't agree with you if you held me at gunpoint.

  9. #1349
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
    "In my religion". Please, read what you type.
    Not giving children all they deserve is a mortal sin in my religion is what I wrote, please read carefully.

    Sorry, I've gone through the science and medical journals and there is no statistically significant evidence; furthermore, the vast majority of studies on both sides are barely scientific due to external factors, just like how most studies concerning marijuana are barely scientific.
    They don't compare children of gay parents to children of straight parents. And extgernal factors do make a huge difference like....not having a male in your home as a male child, we know that ain't a good thing.

    Besides, gay marriage does not necessarily entail gay adoption of children - do not get the two issues confused. We are talking about the marriage contract here.
    You're talking about that, marriage isn't a contract in my opinion. I've said why many times.

    So marriage in your opinion is this almighty social instititution bound in with the very fabric of society and the answer you give me is:
    We don't ask. Again...we ask about gender, family relationship, and if you;re already married.....because we do consider marriage that important, many realities concerning normal contracts(like gender and whether you're currently under contract) do apply. Get it now?

    Again, the anti-miscegenation arguments have been defeated before, what makes you think they will work this time around?
    Cause I'm right.

    Sorry, the judiciary is all we need at this point. Sic semper tyrannis to the majority.
    Ask your 'gay' Californians trying to get a marriage license, I'm afraid the judiciary isn;t all you need.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  10. #1350
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    So you are going to ignore my post now Charles?

    Don't you feel kind of pathetic when you have to rely on statistics of single parent families to make your arguments against same sex couples raising children?
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 12-28-09 at 04:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •