Page 133 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #1321
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    That makes no sense. Why would allowing gays to marry in any way hurt the standards or status of marriage?
    Gays marry all the time! Are you asking why we don't allow same sex couples to marry?

    You have yet to provide a rational basis for your position.
    It's both rational and correct. Because you don't agree is why you claim no rational basis, you've been labeling 'irrational' and being forced to assume this or that and name calling since you got here. You're an agenda driven Leftist, anyone objective can see this.

    I asked you to prove me wrong.
    I already did, in fact, you were unaware of much on this issue as well.

    The rationale is that marriage is a unique relationship. Both for the purposes of defining our culture, but in raising children, and in defining families. Women change their names, children take the last name of the father, we don't define any other relationship as important or critical.

    You haven't been anywhere near right, there isn't any reason to prove you wrong, a school student could do it. Your argument is...."there's no opposition that makes sense to me..so....there is no argument that should make sense to anyone else either....I'll have to assume you're all homophobic evildoers."
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  2. #1322
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    I don't care if same sex couples get married. No skin off my nose.



    Why should only straight people have to suffer the bonds of matrimony?

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  3. #1323
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Gays marry all the time! Are you asking why we don't allow same sex couples to marry?
    Charles, that was a rather pathetic dodge of my question. It seems clear to me that your entire position falls under the 2nd of the 5 positions I earlier presented.

    2. Ignoring the countries that have legalized same sex marriage and making a fallacious argument that it would be somehow harmful to this country.
    You have assumed, without evidence, that allowing same sex couples to marry would somehow be detrimental to the standards or status of marriage. You have provided no basis for this rational and ignore evidence to the contrary. It is therefore clear that your position is illogical since it requires you ignore all evidence which does not agree with it.

    If you have some alternative rational, then I would love to hear it, otherwise it is clear to anyone reading this thread that the debate is over. You have no rational basis for your position.

    As far as my position, I have argued time and time again, with evidence, that same sex marriage would be good for the 8 to 10 million children of gay and lesbian parents in this country.

    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...rint/118/1/349

    Unlike you, I actually care about having evidence and reason on my side.

    Apparently those families don't fall within your "standards". It disgusts me that there are people like you out there who would deny children the chance at having a home headed by a married couple simply because the parents share the same sex. It further disgusts me that you apparently have no rational basis by which to deny those families that right. You should be ashamed of yourself going out of your way to hurt children.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 12-28-09 at 03:12 PM.

  4. #1324
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    As far as my position, I have argued time and time again, with evidence, that same sex marriage would be good for the 8 to 10 million children of gay and lesbian parents in this country.
    That's not much of an argument.

  5. #1325
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That's not much of an argument.
    That's not much of a counter argument.

  6. #1326
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    That's not much of a counter argument.
    Sorry, but it's amusing to see you go on page after page about fallacies and logic and arguments... only to hear you give a "it's good for the kids" argument.


  7. #1327
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That's not much of an argument.
    You're kidding, right? You're the one who agreed with me pages ago around family and children as being a most important aspect of government sanctioning marriage. Now it's not much of an argument? You seem to be contradicting yourself.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #1328
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Sorry, but it's amusing to see you go on page after page about fallacies and logic and arguments... only to hear you give a "it's good for the kids" argument.

    He can do that since there has been a wealth of evidence, with links, provided proving this position in this thread.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #1329
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Charles, that was a rather pathetic dodge of my question. It seems clear to me that your entire position falls under the 2nd of the 5 positions I earlier presented.
    Seems clear to me that very little is clear to you concerning this issue.

    You have assumed, without evidence, that allowing same sex couples to marry would somehow be detrimental to the standards or status of marriage.
    It reduces it to a contract, lowers standards, changes the definition.

    You have provided no basis for this rational and ignore evidence to the contrary. It is therefore clear that your position is illogical since it requires you ignore all evidence which does not agree with it.
    What evidence?

    If you have some alternative rational, then I would love to hear it, otherwise it is clear to anyone reading this thread that the debate is over. You have no rational basis for your position.
    Your opinion that I have no rationale when in fact I've destroyed your arguments and left you with nothing...isn't lost on anyone.

    As far as my position, I have argued time and time again, with evidence, that same sex marriage would be good for the 8 to 10 million children of gay and lesbian parents in this country.
    Why would it be "good", I've seen no evidence of this. Where? Making stuff up now, CT?

    Unlike you, I actually care about having evidence and reason on my side.
    I've seen NONE! You're been critical of my position, not defending your own. Please provide your "evidence."

    Apparently those families don't fall within your "standards".
    They don't fall within the standard of the relationship they were created from...sorry. There is no standard equal to the one that they were conceived under if their parents were in fact married.

    It disgusts me that there are people like you out there who would deny children the chance at having a home headed by a married couple simply because the parents share the same sex.
    You pretending to be disgusted doesn't even phase me. Why would you think it does? I couldn't care less if you're disgusted, it's irrelevant to our discussion. Be disgusted all you want, it's pretend and meant to score points...an attempt at the moral high ground. IT didn't work, be disgusted as you respond to me, I really don't care.

    It further disgusts me that you apparently have no rational basis by which to deny those families that right. You should be ashamed of yourself going out of your way to hurt children.
    Pretending children can be raised on the same standards minus either a mother or father in the home proves who has little concern for children. Your agenda stomps all over children, the purposeful removal of either the male or female from the home and calling it normal isn;t correct and you'll be taken to account for it. I cannot believe you'd be this ignorant or evil for that matter. Not giving children all they deserve is a mortal sin in my religion and flat out unethical in my opinion. How do you sleep at night?
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  10. #1330
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Sorry, but it's amusing to see you go on page after page about fallacies and logic and arguments... only to hear you give a "it's good for the kids" argument.

    I'm not really sure I get the joke. Did you even read the link?

    Same sex marriage provides a context for legal, financial, and psychosocial well-being, an endorsement of interdependent care, and a form of public acknowledgment and respect for personal bonds. It's also beneficial the children's emotional and social development. Logic dictates that it is a reasonable argument because it is supported with evidence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •