Page 121 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1483

Thread: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #1201
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    The issue isn't about me either.....

    I realize you're gonna argue me and not the content of my argument as well, I find that quite telling is all. I think I'm right...and I think ya'll know it.

    I'm on solid ground here, might be time for another smilie and a wave with a pretend you've won the argument tactic. Quite common strat in here, transparent as it gets but, common nonetheless.
    Charles--

    Plenty of posters have invited you to have a discussion. You're not open to it. You have an agenda. You have a strong prejudice against gays and lesbians.

    Let's be clear that if you want to discuss this issue and have people take you seriously you have to pretend to be listening to us.

    It's not about winning. It's about increasing understanding. At least, that's what this discussion/debate are about for me.
    Last edited by windovervocalcords; 12-24-09 at 11:57 AM.

  2. #1202
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    For example, although studies are very sketchy on this issue, do you know what occupation is one of the most elevated as far as successful suicides? Doctors. Why do you think? Being a doctor is extremely stressful Now, obviously, this is not genetic, but the number one reason for suicide is depression/stress. Just as being a doctor is more stressful than other jobs, being gay is more stressful than not, because of societal issues surrounding being gay.

    Here is an interesting article on the topic:

    Doctors Have Highest Suicide Rate of Any Profession - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

    Consider this based on what the article says about physicians. The have a very stressful job. Their job can be, literally, life or death. Their mistakes get magnified. They are always a doctor, even at outings. There is a stigma around seeking mental health treatment for doctors. They often have to be the bearer of bad news. All things that bring on stress and depression.

    Let's look at gays. Often can't be open about their sexual orientation because of potential retributions. Difficulty with employers. May get ostracized by their church. May be isolated from family. Cannot marry someone they love. These are all issues that bring on stress and depression.

    The issue is situational. Take anyone and give them this level of stress and their rate of sucidality will go up.
    Yes....with teen pregnancy at embarrasing levels, children having children, the single parent holocaust leaving our nation adrift, the mentality that children need no male in the home, an absolute joke of a failing school system, open gang violence in our inner cities, a nation teetering in a political hailstorm of economic uncertainty, two wars currently ongoing where the suicide rate in the military is staggeringly high without a sound reason, our youth in crisis, our social programs going bankrupt while your liberal Congress and President pile on even more debt, my football team 1-13......and we should be talking about suicide and societal pressure on 'gays?'

    I must be getting old. My Church...a monster in the Community and reaching as far as Haiti and New Orleans(been both places)...giving the usual Noel, Noel around town and our food handouts and Santa's Helpers initiative reaches the New Orleans amount sent and I'm...flabbergasted. Katrina 'victims' still getting direct aid, how long must the Church or federal government continue to throw money and help at New Orleans?

    Maybe I need the three ghosts to visit me like Scrooge this year, I'm sitting there drumming my fingers....."we still send this much money and supplies to New Orleans"....."we're 800 miles from New Orleans"..........."what in the world?"

    Sometimes people need to be reminded we ALL face stress levels and many times feel no one could walk in our shoes. People feel lonely or outcasted for numerous reasons, nobody has the market cornered.

    And on a side note, moral high ground attempts won't go unnoticed. This isn't even a good one.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  3. #1203
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,285
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    The fact that you cannot prove me wrong nor shield your argument from the truth doesn't mean my argument isn't both relevant and factual.

    I haven't had my question answered btw.
    Your own sources proved you wrong. The fact you continue to cling to arguments that even you cannot support shows where the problem lies.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #1204
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords View Post
    Plenty of posters have invited you to have a discussion.
    So what. You haven't invited that discussion. And that's what is both relevant and telling.

    You're not open to it. You have an agenda. You have a strong prejudice against gays and lesbians.
    This is simply your opinion and while interesting, ins't relevant to the debate. I haven't called anyone a single name, I am not attacking anyone and am careful beyond measure...to address the argument. Something you're not doing with this irrelevant statement. My prejudices...like yours or CC's....aren't the issue here. As if any of us would know who you are...or what your prejudices are....no one in here would know if I even had any, your opinions on this matter aren't answering my questions.

    Let's be clear that if you want to discuss this issue and have people take you seriously you have to pretend to be listening to us.
    I couldn't care less if people take me seriously or not. Good heavens man...we're on a faceless talk forum. Where you can type and banter on and enjoy political debate where it DOESN'T get personal. Is it not this site's purpose to enjoy colorful and many times directly opposing points of view? We simply disagree on the issue at hand...and am arguing about it. Me......my prejudices...aren't relevant.

    Now....the agenda part is flat out accurate. And my agenda is to maintain the state's rights through it's elected reps of directly from the people, to define marriage and other societal institutions. TO never leave the decision to a robe or suit but to We the People. I think our society should define marriage and give the government specific instructions on how it should govern and define marriage.

    I don't care if I'm not taken seriously, and the fact that serious is even raised doesn't answer even one of my questions. Thus I consider it a deflection...s my argument cannot be addressed.

    It's about increasing understanding. At least, that's what this discussion/debate are about for me.
    It can be "about" anything you'd like, I simply enjoy the banter, am intellectually curious, amused by the untenable positions taken by some across the poltiical divide and enjoy contributing. Yukon Cornelius said it best, "You eat what you eat, I'll eat what I eat."
    Last edited by Charles Martel; 12-24-09 at 12:17 PM.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  5. #1205
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Your own sources proved you wrong. The fact you continue to cling to arguments that even you cannot support shows where the problem lies.
    You haven't answered my questions either. Most telling of all is my unanswered questions.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  6. #1206
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    So what. You haven't invited that discussion. And that's what is both relevant and telling.



    This is simply your opinion and while interesting, ins't relevant to the debate. I haven't called anyone a single name, I am not attacking anyone and am careful beyond measure...to address the argument. Something you're not doing with this irrelevant statement. My prejudices...like yours or CC's....aren't the issue here. As if any of us would know who you are...or what your prejudices are....no one in here would know if I even had any, your opinions on this matter aren't answering my questions.



    I couldn't care less if people take me seriously or not. Good heavens man...we're on a faceless talk forum. Where you can type and banter on and enjoy political debate where it DOESN'T get personal. Is it not this site's purpose to enjoy colorful and many times directly opposing points of view? We simply disagree on the issue at hand...and am arguing about it. Me......my prejudices...aren't relevant.

    Now....the agenda part is flat out accurate. And my agenda is to maintain the state's rights through it's elected reps of directly from the people, to define marriage and other societal institutions. TO never leave the decision to a robe or suit but to We the People. I think our society should define marriage and give the government specific instructions on how it should govern and define marriage.

    I don't care if I'm not taken seriously, and the fact that serious is even raised doesn't answer even one of my questions. Thus I consider it a deflection...s my argument cannot be addressed.



    It can be "about" anything you'd like, I simply enjoy the banter, am intellectually curious, amused by the untenable positions taken by some across the poltiical divide and enjoy contributing. Yukon Cornelius said it best, "You eat what you eat, I'll eat what I eat."
    I invite you to have a discussion on the topic. I salute the DC City Council's decision. At some point, in the near future, marriage equality will be the law of the land througout the US.
    Last edited by windovervocalcords; 12-24-09 at 12:25 PM.

  7. #1207
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords View Post
    I invite you to have a discussion on the topic. I salute the DC City Council's decision. At some point, in the near future, marriage equality will be the law of the land througout the US.
    I accept rather than salute the DC council decison and will wait for Congress' decison. It does fly in the face of current law. And I strongly believe same sex marriage will soon see its high mark and become a state's rights issue where it will most likely not be recognized by most states.

    Do you also salute prop 8 in California...it likewise came from the people or its representives.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  8. #1208
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,285
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    You haven't answered my questions either. Most telling of all is my unanswered questions.
    What question?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #1209
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    I accept rather than salute the DC council decison and will wait for Congress' decison. It does fly in the face of current law. And I strongly believe same sex marriage will soon see its high mark and become a state's rights issue where it will most likely not be recognized by most states.

    Do you also salute prop 8 in California...it likewise came from the people or its representives.
    I accept rather than salute the Prop 8 decision. 18,000 gay couples are still legally married in California despite Prop 8. I salute Attorney General Jerry Brown for that.

    Being able to legally marry, and remained married, after being with my partner for 25 years, brings enormous positive changes into our lives. It's a great blessing. I'd like to see others benefit the same as we have.

    There's more to celebrate:
    http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...949953,00.html
    Last edited by windovervocalcords; 12-24-09 at 01:02 PM.

  10. #1210
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,626

    Re: DC City Council votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    The fact that you cannot prove me wrong nor shield your argument from the truth doesn't mean my argument isn't both relevant and factual.
    Not only have I proven you wrong, but I've proven your position irrelevant.

    I haven't had my question answered btw.
    So, have you identified the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behavior, yet? I've asked you several times and you keep dodging this. Have you addressed my links yet? I keep asking you and you keep dodging that, too. Give it up, Charles. You've proven that when it comes to debating, if there is an issue that actually challenges your position, you'll divert, dodge, and avoid...because you know addressing it will demonstrate the futility of your position. Keep trying to save face. It's amusing.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •