Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 197

Thread: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

  1. #151
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by submarinepainter View Post
    as long as she does a good job who care what she does in private.
    I'd vote for a flaming gay cross dressing atheist politician who ran a tight ship and was extremely competent over pretty much anyone else who couldn't do the job as well.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #152
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,555

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    Ms. Parker's sexual orientation was never an issue in the campaign, directly. Some conservative supporters of her opponent (a black man) did try to make it an issue in mailers, but apparently nobody much cared. Her opponent openly opposed attempts to make it an issue. Annise was judged on her qualifications, and as city comptroller, she had a good reputation.

    It seems to me the only folks making anything of her private life is the press. She has never hidden her orientation, nor mentioned it.
    Then the title "openly gay mayor" is somewhat misleading then. I know "openly gay" people where I study and they do more then just "mention it".

    Not only that, all else the same, she still would have been elected because she is a democrat and houston has a history of electing democrats.

    So, there are a lot of other factors here besides "the mayor is gay". Like I said, would Houston, just for the sake of social progression, elected a gay person that ran as a republican?

  3. #153
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I'd vote for a flaming gay cross dressing atheist politician who ran a tight ship and was extremely competent over pretty much anyone else who couldn't do the job as well.
    Wouldn't you vote for anyone that is extremely competant, over anyone else? Or would they neccessarily have to be a, "flaming gay cross dressing ahteist"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #154
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    LOL My God. You quote yourself then deny you said it

    With this being the case, your claim that there is no evidence that people are created gay is false.

    You just said right there its genetic. You can't argue the opposite then claim you aren't in the next sentence

    You used this study as evidence of this theory of yours. I just blew it away with the admission of the very scientist who made the study that she cannot confirm it is genetic.

    Since you want to play dumb, please explain what that study is supposed to support if not the genetics claim you have already made

    Bear in mind the opening sentence in your "study"

    Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically fixed trait.

    So even THEY are claiming that this is a genetic argument. The one YOU quoted LOL

    I'm sure that is what suckered you in. Too bad you didn't read the end when she admitted she can't prove it is genetics

    hint: If you claim they are born gay, thats genetics my friend.
    Several things. I said that there is evidence that gays are created. That does not mean genetics, that means just what it says. Can you argue without putting words in my mouth. We know such things as that the diet of a pregnant woman can have an effect on the fetus. Let's look at more research on the subject: Homosexuality: Nature or Nurture in AllPsych Journal

    D.F. Swaab conducted the next noteworthy experiment in 1990. This experiment became the first to document a physiological difference in the anatomical structure of a gay man's brain. Swaab found in his post-mortem examination of homosexual males' brains that a portion of the hypothalamus of the brain was structurally different than a heterosexual brain. The hypothalamus is the portion of the human brain directly related to sexual drive and function. In the homosexual brains examined, a small portion of the hypothalamus, termed the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), was found to be twice the size of its heterosexual counterpart [2].

    At the same time, another scientist, Laura S. Allen made a similar discovery in the hypothalamus as well. She found that the anterior commissure (AC) of the hypothalamus was also significantly larger in the homosexual subjects than that of the heterosexuals [2]. Both Swaab's and Allen's results became a standing ground for the biological argument on homosexuality. The very fact that the AC and the SCN are not involved in the regulation of sexual behavior makes it highly unlikely that the size differences results from differences in sexual behavior. Rather the size differences came prenatally during sexual differentiation. The size and shape of the human brain is determined biologically and is impacted minutely, if at all by behavior of any kind.

    Now, once again, would you care to show where I said that orientation is genetic? I do not know for sure the reasons why people have different orientations, and have mode no claim otherwise.

    What I have said is there is evidence that points to a possible genetic link, and genetics is one of the possible explanations of the result I linked to. Those studying the subject seem to largely agree that a genetic link is at the very least possible. My personal suspicion is that there are multiple paths to homosexuality, both genetic and environmental, but I fully admit this is nothing but an educated guess.



    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Please do not lie. I already showed you I wasn't the one who made the original argument. You will find on page one of the New York Gay thread people comparing race to gay marriage. I asked for evidence to support that theory since race is genetic.

    See if you are going to compare race to homosexuality, you kind of need to support a genetic claim

    You failed miserably I might add since the very scientist who made the study you pointed to admitted she cannot confirm her findings are genetic.

    My statement is based on your lack of evidence to support the original claim of comparing race to homosexuality.

    But if you want to continue to dig a deeper hole for yourself, go right ahead. I'm enjoying your inability to come to terms with the wording in your own study.
    These are your exact words: "There is no evidence people are created gay. To beleive that is to believe a fallacy." I did not make up the quote, you said that specifically. Now, do you believe this to be true, or where you lying when you said it? If you do believe this, then you need to offer some evidence for a very strong statement. If you do not believe it, why did you say it?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #155
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Wouldn't you vote for anyone that is extremely competant, over anyone else? Or would they neccessarily have to be a, "flaming gay cross dressing ahteist"?
    Please read my post again. It is extremely simple what I stated. If necessary, have someone else there read it to you if some condition is causing you to fail to understand the English language.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #156
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,319

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Please read my post again. It is extremely simple what I stated. If necessary, have someone else there read it to you if some condition is causing you to fail to understand the English language.
    So, the politico would have to be a flaming gay atheist? Got it, little sister!...
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #157
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Get a hold of yourself! THERE IS NO GAY GENE AND THE CLAIM IS 100% BUNK!

    The Gay Gene?

    On July 15, 1993, National Public Radio (NPR) made a dramatic announcement on stations across the country: Was a team of scientists at the National Institutes of Health on the trail of a gene that causes homosexuality? Their report would be published the next day in Science, one of the two most prestigious scientific research journals in the world.[1]
    The discussion that followed explained for the listening public the implications of these findings for social attitudes toward homosexuality and for public policy concerning it. Science was on the verge of proving what many had long argued: that homosexuality is innate, genetic and therefore unchangeable-a normal and commonplace variant of human nature. In the light of these findings, surely only the bigoted or ignorant could condemn it in any way.

    Shortly after the announcement, amidst a well-orchestrated blizzard of press discussions, there ensued the watershed legal battle over "Proposition 2" in Colorado. (This popularly enacted legislation precluded making sexual orientation the basis of "privileged class" minority status, a status conferred previously only on the basis of immutable factors such as race.)

    Among the many crucial issues raised by the legislation was the question as to whether homosexuality was indeed normal, innate and unchangeable. One prominent researcher testified to the court, "I am 99.5% certain that homosexuality is genetic." But this personal opinion was widely misunderstood as "homosexuality is 99.5% genetic," implying that research had demonstrated this. Certainly, that was the message promulgated by NPR's report on the recent research, and by all the discussions that followed. In a few weeks, Newsweek would emblazon across its cover the phrase that would stick in the public mind as the final truth about homosexuality: "Gay Gene?"

    Of course, just near the end of the NPR discussion, certain necessary caveats were fleetingly added. But only an expert knew what they meant- that the research actually showed nothing whatever in the way of what was being discussed. The vast majority of listeners would think that homosexuality had been all but conclusively proven to be "genetic." But the real question is whether or not there is such a "gay gene."

    In fact, there is not, and the research being promoted as proving that there is provides no supporting evidence. How can this be? In order to understand what is really going on, one needs to understand some little- known features of the emerging study of behavioral genetics (much subtler than the genetics of simple, "Mendelian" traits such as eye color).

    When it comes to questions of the genetics of any behavior-homosexuality included-all of the following statements are likely to be at least roughly true:


    Such and such a behavior "is genetic";
    There are no genes that produce the behavior;
    The genes associated with the behavior are found on such and such a chromosome;
    The behavior is significantly heritable;
    The behavior is not inherited.
    The scientific distinctions that make these seeming contradictions perfectly reasonable and consistent seem completely misunderstood by the media who report on them.
    For example, in response to the "gay gene" research, the Wall Street Journal headlined their report (which appeared the next day), "Research Points Toward a Gay Gene."[2] A subheading of the Journal article stated, "Normal Variation"-leaving the casual reader with the impression that the research led to this conclusion. It did not, nor could it have. The subhead alluded to nothing more than the chief researcher's personal, unsubstantiated opinion that homosexuality, as he put it, "is a normal variant of human behavior." Even the New York Times, in its more moderate front-page article, "Report Suggests Homosexuality is Linked to Genes," noted that other researchers warned against over-interpreting the work, "or taking it to mean anything as simplistic as that the 'gay gene' had been found."
    So will al of you heterophobes stop spreading the lies and trying to make the rest of into some freaks because we speak the truth.

    Being a homosexual is an easy way out of having to deal with the reality of differences in the thought processes and other qualities unique in the make up both men and women. For the most part women are more emotional while men are more pragmatic and work from logic. Of course no blanket statement holds true in every case but generally men get along much easier with men and women with women.

    I have 4 bothers one decided to be gay because he couldn't deal with the emotional roller coaster being married became for him.

    I'm anti gay because its not normal and if it were it wold not take both a man and a woman to create a new life. And don't give me any of the B.S. about how science can now create life, because that's wrong too.

    I don't hate gay people and would not jail or beat them up. By the same token they need to stop trying to promote their life style choices with lies. If it were genetic why is recruitment so wide spread and boisterous and militant?

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by Cilogy View Post
    How come whenever an election represents some type of milestone or a "first in history" people always say its not based on skills?

    Ironic ...
    Because we focus on stupid **** as much as (or sometimes more) than the stuff that really matters.

  9. #159
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Gays can serve in the military.
    How many heterosexuals have been investigated because of allegations of them being heterosexual?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Houston, Texas elects first openly gay mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I'd vote for a flaming gay cross dressing atheist politician who ran a tight ship and was extremely competent over pretty much anyone else who couldn't do the job as well.

    Of course you'd vote for the person who "was extremely competent over pretty much anyone else who couldn't do the job as well." Otherwise you'd be a moron voter, who's vote is based on something completely irrelevant

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •