Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 116

Thread: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

  1. #71
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    2 year halving of payroll taxes

    permanent cap on capital gains of 15%

    national mobilization, emergency footing, like fdr in ww2, in the area of energy production---omnibus approach, oil, offshore, drilling, refining, shale, electrical power plants, gas, clean coal, nukes, wind, solar, tidal, alternatives, r&d, tax cuts for and public investment in any responsible or semi responsible proposal that holds the promise of producing power

    Nukes, yes, but there is no such thing as clean coal. A coal plant capable of cutting its CO2 emissions in half (cleaner, but not clean) would likely cost more than a nuke plant of comparable output. And that is just the CO2, coal plants also emit radioactive wastes, sulphur, mercury, and thousands of tons of ash per plant.
    Likewise wind, solar, tidal, all are horribly expensive to build and maintain compared to existing major sources of electricity. Plus, they are not alternatives, they are merely supplements. They will never be a major source of electricity, or base load. Gas is best used for peaking loads, and the wind/solar in SOME areas could also be supplements.
    And you left out the cheapest most viable part of energy, conserving it. All you talk about in that post was producing it. Produce what we need, yes, but stop wasting so much of it.
    Edward Mazria is an architect behind the Architecture 2030 plan, he estimates that we can cut the number of new power plants considerably if we simply do a better job of making all new buildings energy efficient.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Nukes, yes, but there is no such thing as clean coal. A coal plant capable of cutting its CO2 emissions in half (cleaner, but not clean) would likely cost more than a nuke plant of comparable output. And that is just the CO2, coal plants also emit radioactive wastes, sulphur, mercury, and thousands of tons of ash per plant.
    Likewise wind, solar, tidal, all are horribly expensive to build and maintain compared to existing major sources of electricity. Plus, they are not alternatives, they are merely supplements. They will never be a major source of electricity, or base load. Gas is best used for peaking loads, and the wind/solar in SOME areas could also be supplements.
    And you left out the cheapest most viable part of energy, conserving it. All you talk about in that post was producing it. Produce what we need, yes, but stop wasting so much of it.
    Edward Mazria is an architect behind the Architecture 2030 plan, he estimates that we can cut the number of new power plants considerably if we simply do a better job of making all new buildings energy efficient.

    And the funny thing is, just about everybody agrees with that.

    The problem is, liberals aren't about to "share" this issue. They keep running to the left with it as far as they have to so they can keep it for their own and campaign on it.

    That's how the monstrosities known as Global Warming and Cap and Trade came about.

  3. #73
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    09-03-15 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    64

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    And the funny thing is, just about everybody agrees with that.

    The problem is, liberals aren't about to "share" this issue. They keep running to the left with it as far as they have to so they can keep it for their own and campaign on it.

    That's how the monstrosities known as Global Warming and Cap and Trade came about.
    clean and coal don't belong together in the same sentence. it's a total joke. we had our energy solution and morons were afraid of it and now we have this mess.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No, that's wrong. Tax cuts have much less effect on short-term consumer spending than a stimulus. Tax cuts help the wealthy, who don't need to spend the money anyway. They may invest it, but we need spending right now. Tax cuts may be good in the long term (or not), but not in a crisis.
    How did the stimulus help Middle America spend money?

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the land of steers and queers
    Last Seen
    06-03-10 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I would have totally unleashed every industry that harvests natural resources...
    How exactly would you have done that, apdst?

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the land of steers and queers
    Last Seen
    06-03-10 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    2 year halving of payroll taxes
    What would you hope to accomplish by doing that, Professor?

  7. #77
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    How did the stimulus help Middle America spend money?
    I'm not defending this stimulus, I don't know how or if it actually worked out. I'm just discussing the theory.

    A stimulus helps Middle America spend money by buying stuff they make or employing them.

    When a stimulus builds a road, for instance, it hires a contractor. The contractor hires workers, and buys cement. The cement company hires workers. And all those workers spend money again, at Wal-Mart or whatever, and that puts money in the pockets of Wal-Mart workers. And they spend it. Pretty basic idea.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I'm not defending this stimulus, I don't know how or if it actually worked out. I'm just discussing the theory.

    A stimulus helps Middle America spend money by buying stuff they make or employing them.

    When a stimulus builds a road, for instance, it hires a contractor. The contractor hires workers, and buys cement. The cement company hires workers. And all those workers spend money again, at Wal-Mart or whatever, and that puts money in the pockets of Wal-Mart workers. And they spend it. Pretty basic idea.
    You can't say if it worked but you defend it.

    How many new road projects do you see in your community?

    I see lots of projects that were already being done.

    I know no one that is middle income and benefiting from the stimulus. I have been spending money and I haven't worked since march. Obama is telling lies and we have found out that the figures for new and saved jobs can not be trusted.

  9. #79
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You can't say if it worked but you defend it.
    Did I not just say I'm not defending this particular stimulus? I'm explaining the theory behind it. Whether it was done right, or in the right conditions, is another matter. I didn't

    How many new road projects do you see in your community?

    I see lots of projects that were already being done.
    So are you now claiming there isn't a stimulus?

    You can easily look up what's happening in your community with stimulus funds at recovery.gov.

    I know no one that is middle income and benefiting from the stimulus.
    How?

    I have been spending money and I haven't worked since march.
    You're not the center of the universe. Plenty of people are working because of the stimulus. Look it up. Sorry you are jobless, but it's not like Obama promised to employ every single person.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: New Obama plans: 'spend our way out' of downturn

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Did I not just say I'm not defending this particular stimulus? I'm explaining the theory behind it. Whether it was done right, or in the right conditions, is another matter. I didn't



    So are you now claiming there isn't a stimulus?

    You can easily look up what's happening in your community with stimulus funds at recovery.gov.



    How?




    You're not the center of the universe. Plenty of people are working because of the stimulus. Look it up. Sorry you are jobless, but it's not like Obama promised to employ every single person.
    You are not defending?


    So you have no answers just that Obama is doing it so it is good

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •