Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 418

Thread: New Poll shows Tea party more popular than Republican Party

  1. #301
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New Poll shows Tea party more popular than Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    In certain States like Maine which has many towns that don't have party alleg. on them yes you can but for all State and federal Election you can't give money to just anyone that person must belong to a one of the Federal Req, Party's.
    This is absolutely, totally FALSE. Where do you come up with this wild stuff.

    Anyone can give money directly to any candidate for federal office, no matter what party they are in, or if they are with no party. Go look at the contribution reports at www.fec.gov and see for yourself.

    You have some serious, serious problems with basic facts dude.

  2. #302
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-03-10 @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    88

    Re: New Poll shows Tea party more popular than Republican Party

    As a point of interest the Civil War was actually over States Rights and against an implied 'tyranny of the majority'. The southern states did want to keep slavery - it was the basis of their economy even if the cotton mill had already made slavery less economically feasible. The whole point was that the South could see that it had the smaller population so they did not have a chance of holding things back in the House of Representatives. There were several states applying for statehood that were north of the Mason-Dixon line and thus would be admitted into the Union as non-slave states. Almost all of the territory south of the Mason-Dixon line had already been admitted as states, the little bit left would never balance out the territories admitted as non-slave, so the Senate was about to be lost to them.

    States Rights and Slavery were pretty much one and the same at the time. The rights of the states to determine whether slavery was legal or not was a major issue. Other states rights were not infringed on as much. And with the loss of parity in Congress, the handwriting was on the wall for the end of slavery by the federal government. Thus the southern slave states seceded from the Union before it got to that point.

    Think about what would happen if we had a new territory apply for statehood today. There would be resistance from the party that did not think they would benefit from the new Senators while the other party would be pulling out all the stops to get them joined up. The same thing was going on before the Civil War - something that many historians have pointed out.

    As another aside, some recent legal reviews have decided that the southern states had the right to secede peacefully from the Union. Their mistake was the attack on Fort Sumter. This consitituted an attack by a foriegn power on US soil. It was only after Fort Sumter that Lincoln issued his call for volunteers to fight the CSA.

    Note also the timing of the American Civil War occured shortly after the dissolution of the Whig party and the forming of the Republican party. If an established party fails in our two party system the replacement with another party has been accompanied by social strife and turmoil. Something to keep in mind for both the Republicans and Democrats who delight in declaring the death of the other party.

  3. #303
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New Poll shows Tea party more popular than Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by carlkay58 View Post
    States Rights and Slavery were pretty much one and the same at the time.
    Excellent sentence.

    Another excellent post too.

  4. #304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    02-12-11 @ 12:32 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    939

    Re: New Poll shows Tea party more popular than Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    I have a far better idea for all of us Americans, it's time for all of us to stop being Republicans and Democrat and start being Americans that is what we are.

    When we(Americans) decide to put away are stupid Party Loyalty then we will start become what are founding father so wished the great Country to be.

    I challenge everyone on here to go and register as an American and don't let the Election Folks tell you can't. My voter card say Party American.

    It's starts with an idea and goes forth after that
    Then why were our founding fathers members of political parties?

  5. #305
    User Ted Stryker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona's 86th Congressional District
    Last Seen
    12-10-09 @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14

    Actually no.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Really? The numbers seem to show that the Democratic party is doing well and the Republicans are the failures.

    36% are content to stick with the DNC that has been given everything they wanted and failed while the rest of us seek change that represents hope for the future and a better life for our children.

    Real experience has proven the Democrat's solutions are nothing but the same old tax and spend policies for which liberals are famous. The bait and switch scam is now obvious to anyone with the IQ of a tree squirrel.

    The quadrupling of the deficit with an ill advised and politically driven "stimulus" (pork) package that has failed to create jobs, a failed "cash for clunkers" program, a health care bill most Americans oppose and new "cap and trade" energy taxes on the horizon have all served to prove Democrats actually have no new ideas and, if allowed to continue, will certainly destroy the economy and the currency with their reckless spending and taxing.

    The left has written the conservative obituary many, many times over the past couple years based solely on Democratic solutions to today's problems that only exist in the realm of left-leaning non-critical media and well orchestrated political infomercials. The Republicans, like the prodigal son, can cut their corporate ties and come home. Democrats, who have opposed and dismissed the public expression of outrage at the Tea Parties by referring to the participants as racist redneck tea baggers, have no such opportunity.

    That is why the democrats are at 36%, will stay at 36% and lose upcoming elections to wise Republicans.

  6. #306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: New Poll shows Tea party more popular than Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by carlkay58 View Post
    As a point of interest the Civil War was actually over States Rights and against an implied 'tyranny of the majority'. The southern states did want to keep slavery - it was the basis of their economy even if the cotton mill had already made slavery less economically feasible. The whole point was that the South could see that it had the smaller population so they did not have a chance of holding things back in the House of Representatives. There were several states applying for statehood that were north of the Mason-Dixon line and thus would be admitted into the Union as non-slave states. Almost all of the territory south of the Mason-Dixon line had already been admitted as states, the little bit left would never balance out the territories admitted as non-slave, so the Senate was about to be lost to them.

    States Rights and Slavery were pretty much one and the same at the time. The rights of the states to determine whether slavery was legal or not was a major issue. Other states rights were not infringed on as much. And with the loss of parity in Congress, the handwriting was on the wall for the end of slavery by the federal government. Thus the southern slave states seceded from the Union before it got to that point.

    Think about what would happen if we had a new territory apply for statehood today. There would be resistance from the party that did not think they would benefit from the new Senators while the other party would be pulling out all the stops to get them joined up. The same thing was going on before the Civil War - something that many historians have pointed out.

    As another aside, some recent legal reviews have decided that the southern states had the right to secede peacefully from the Union. Their mistake was the attack on Fort Sumter. This consitituted an attack by a foriegn power on US soil. It was only after Fort Sumter that Lincoln issued his call for volunteers to fight the CSA.

    Note also the timing of the American Civil War occured shortly after the dissolution of the Whig party and the forming of the Republican party. If an established party fails in our two party system the replacement with another party has been accompanied by social strife and turmoil. Something to keep in mind for both the Republicans and Democrats who delight in declaring the death of the other party.
    Agree'd but slavery was not THE cause for the Civil War.

  7. #307
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Actually no.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Stryker View Post
    36% are content to stick with the DNC that has been given everything they wanted and failed while the rest of us seek change that represents hope for the future and a better life for our children.
    You play the National Anthem in the background while you recite this little speech?

  8. #308
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New Poll shows Tea party more popular than Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Agree'd but slavery was not THE cause for the Civil War.
    The war had many causes, linked together, and the number one cause was slavery. If slavery hadn't existed the war would never have happened.

  9. #309
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: New Poll shows Tea party more popular than Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    The war had many causes, linked together, and the number one cause was slavery. If slavery hadn't existed the war would never have happened.
    I think you're partial correct but a bit simplistic. People weren't as nationalistic as they are now. They weren't AMERICANS, but merely Americans. Their first allegence was to their states. Freeing the slaves only in the South, was certainly not equal justice under the law.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #310
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New Poll shows Tea party more popular than Republican Party

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I think you're partial correct but a bit simplistic. People weren't as nationalistic as they are now. They weren't AMERICANS, but merely Americans. Their first allegence was to their states. Freeing the slaves only in the South, was certainly not equal justice under the law.
    I agree, but how does that change things? Sure, people were more loyal to their state, but we're discussing why the states left the union. That's different from the question of why individuals fought for or supported the Confederacy. They did it for lots of reasons, and slavery probably wasn't at the top of that list. But slavery was clearly at the top of the list of the reasons the states seceded in the first place. Any reading of the articles of secession show that.

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •