Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 163

Thread: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I would like to know your definition of a model country?

    Paul
    A functional democracy that is friendly towards civilized nations.

  2. #22
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    A functional democracy that is friendly towards civilized nations.
    Lets hope we get there.

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  3. #23
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    It's right up there with this one in regards to Iraq:

    My belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators." --March 16, 2003 Dick Cheney
    We were greeted as liberators. It wasn't until later that the Iraqis turned against us.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Lets hope we get there.

    Paul
    I'd say we're pretty close. Not much is going on over there anymore.

  5. #25
    Professor
    Joe1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    TX
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,829

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Also, we're winning in Iraq. It will be a model country within the next decade.
    That's quite a bit of wishful thinking mixed in with a heavy dose of pixie dust. Most of the current fighting is political in nature. Religious extremists, Iraqi nationalists, Shia Sunnis, kurds, etc; all those factions have one thing keeping them in check, our military. Iraq is in sixth place on the "Failed States Index" above even Afghanistan.

    And as hopeful as we'd all like to be, no one has any idea what will happen once we pull our finger out of the dike.

  6. #26
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1991 View Post
    That's quite a bit of wishful thinking mixed in with a heavy dose of pixie dust. Most of the current fighting is political in nature. Religious extremists, Iraqi nationalists, Shia Sunnis, kurds, etc; all those factions have one thing keeping them in check, our military. Iraq is in sixth place on the "Failed States Index" above even Afghanistan.

    And as hopeful as we'd all like to be, no one has any idea what will happen once we pull our finger out of the dike.
    That doesn't mean we are not winning.

    There was an unfortunate learning curve for the American Military in Iraq, mainly it was that can't allow d-bags like Bremer run the show.

    Just take a look at the violence levels and tell me that the "tides" haven't turned-- even if it's temporary.

    Sure there was the recent violence (probably complements of al-Qa'ida in Syria) in Tikrit, but the Mosul isn't fighting with weapons, they're arguing politically. People are no longer afraid to walk the street.

    Could this turn around and dwell into some failed statehood like that of Lebanon in their civil war? Yes. Is it 100%? No. is it Likely? Depends on who you ask.

    But you cannot discredit that, currently, we are winning in Iraq.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  7. #27
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    That doesn't mean we are not winning.

    There was an unfortunate learning curve for the American Military in Iraq, mainly it was that can't allow d-bags like Bremer run the show.

    Just take a look at the violence levels and tell me that the "tides" haven't turned-- even if it's temporary.

    Sure there was the recent violence (probably complements of al-Qa'ida in Syria) in Tikrit, but the Mosul isn't fighting with weapons, they're arguing politically. People are no longer afraid to walk the street.

    Could this turn around and dwell into some failed statehood like that of Lebanon in their civil war? Yes. Is it 100%? No. is it Likely? Depends on who you ask.

    But you cannot discredit that, currently, we are winning in Iraq.
    You are winning??? At what expense? $12T debt, recession, high unemployment etc. Perhaps you guys should heed Sarah Palin's advise.
    Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    The former US vice-presidential candidate argued that a humble spirit could help leaders to get more answers on issues such as health care, energy and national security
    Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God - Telegraph

  8. #28
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,396

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Wtf does palin have to do with this thread /facepalm
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #29
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I'm not sure that capitulatory statements made by our enemies can be aptly compared to speculative statements made by the former Vice President.

    You may not be sure but I am.

    Also, we're winning in Iraq. It will be a model country within the next decade.

    Winning eh? I guess it depends on your definition of winning. It seems to be stabilizing but the fact that Iraq's leadership is very friendly with Iran's leadership has me troubled. I'm also not so sure the country can't or won't go into anarchy once we leave. It could fall like a house of cards.

    Model country? I'm not sure they will even come close to a "model country" even in our life time whatever that is. I predict there will be suicide bombers for a long time to come and at least periodic flare ups of violence.

  10. #30
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: Taliban Says It Won't Meddle in West if Troops Are Withdrawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Wtf does palin have to do with this thread /facepalm
    She's the right's poster child for all that is good, wholesome, and right with this country!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •