Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 275

Thread: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

  1. #241
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-09-09 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    Ultimately the government is legalized crime. They take your money. If you don't pay you go to jail. Children must go to school and if they don't it is against the law. Children go to school to become educated which leads to them getting jobs and paying taxes. The government is a big sham.

  2. #242
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Why exactly?

    You aren't being forced to worship any god. There's no official religion declared. By your own standards, passing a law requiring your wife and daughters to wear burkas should be perfectly constitutional.
    Life, liberty, property. My body is my property, my cloths are my property. I'll do with them as I like. And no, it's not perfectly constitutional as it's an infringement of my right. There is some level of authority the government has when it comes to dress in public which we have established through social contract (such as nudity laws). Beyond that, the government may not get involved. Just as it should not get involved over public displays of religious symbols.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #243
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Life, liberty, property. My body is my property, my cloths are my property. I'll do with them as I like. And no, it's not perfectly constitutional as it's an infringement of my right. There is some level of authority the government has when it comes to dress in public which we have established through social contract (such as nudity laws). Beyond that, the government may not get involved. Just as it should not get involved over public displays of religious symbols.
    The right to govern clothes stops at regulating Indecent Exposure. amirite?

  4. #244
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    An act of legislation is a law. Decorations are not.
    An act of legislation that gives people money to buy decorations and says they can buy decorations sure as hell is a law. Don't be thickheaded.

    Public land is bought and paid for by the People of that community. It's their property, they may do with it as they like. If they want a Christmas tree, they can have a Christmas tree. If they want a menorah, they can have a menorah. Their land, their rules, their choice.
    Bull.

    The Constitution LIMITS the power of the government. No matter how many people want something, they can't violate the Constitution. They can't vote to violate the First Amendment. Or do you think they could, say, vote to ban the carrying of Bibles on sidewalks?

    Nothing says government will not usurp powers not meant for it. In fact, that's the natural progression of government. The founders warned us well of that one.
    Hey, we agree on something.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    An act of legislation that gives people money to buy decorations and says they can buy decorations sure as hell is a law. Don't be thickheaded.
    If the people of the community wish for it, they may do it. Their money, their land, their choice. I cannot have a say, the federal government cannot have a say, rightfully.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Bull.

    The Constitution LIMITS the power of the government. No matter how many people want something, they can't violate the Constitution. They can't vote to violate the First Amendment. Or do you think they could, say, vote to ban the carrying of Bibles on sidewalks?
    Display of religious symbols on private land does not violate the Constitution. So it's ok.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #246
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Life, liberty, property. My body is my property, my cloths are my property. I'll do with them as I like.
    Nothing in the Constitution about that though. Read it.

    And no, it's not perfectly constitutional as it's an infringement of my right. There is some level of authority the government has when it comes to dress in public which we have established through social contract (such as nudity laws). Beyond that, the government may not get involved.
    Where does it say that anywhere in the Constitution? Now you have to go find it. Have fun.

    But you get my point about burkas anyway. You won't admit it, but you do.

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    An act of legislation that gives people money to buy decorations and says they can buy decorations sure as hell is a law. Don't be thickheaded.
    I would define thickheaded as someone who read the posts (well I hope you did) in which we discussed the decorations not being bought ON BUDGET and then still trying to ram that point home...
    Last edited by EpicDude86; 12-07-09 at 11:06 PM.

  8. #248
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    05-18-10 @ 01:18 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    22

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    obama is irritating me do you people not agree obama is not spending enough on programs to build more bridges and roads taxes are far to low in this country at the moment
    i am acidrain! and i approve of this message

  9. #249
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    If the people of the community wish for it, they may do it. Their money, their land, their choice.
    Wrong. They can't violate anyone's rights.

    I cannot have a say, the federal government cannot have a say, rightfully.
    Dear God, I've already explained in detail that the states are also bound by the Federal Bill of Rights.

    Display of religious symbols on private land does not violate the Constitution. So it's ok.
    Sidewalks are public land.

    But never mind. Can the people vote to ban any religious practice by individuals on public land?

  10. #250
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-09-09 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9

    Re: Sarah Palin says US should rededicate itself to God

    Quote Originally Posted by acidrain! View Post
    obama is irritating me do you people not agree obama is not spending enough on programs to build more bridges and roads taxes are far to low in this country at the moment
    Surely that is the apex of jesting. Obama is the king communist. Down with Obama and up with The Pope.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •