Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 308

Thread: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

  1. #251
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    There's an appeals process, so it's not over yet. Since the initial trial was a complete farce, she will probably be acquitted.
    I am interested to see where this case goes.

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I am interested to see where this case goes.
    Here's what my business law profressor said about it:

    One very interesting difference bewteen the two systems is her rights on appeal: In our system, only the application of the law can be challenged on appeal. The facts as presented in the original trial may not be challenged or re-argued. Under the Italian appeals system, however, both the adjudication of the facts and the application of the law in the original trial may be challenged and re-argued, giving her a much better opportunity to have the conviction reversed on appeal.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Here's what my business law profressor said about it:
    I think your business law professor was a little off, can't you can 're-argue' the 'facts' in a case by challenging the constitutionality of evidence? I know a lot of appeals can be turned over due to errors in procedural law and that includes the gathering and handling of evidence.

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I think your business law professor was a little off...
    I doubt that...

    ...can't you can 're-argue' the 'facts' in a case by challenging the constitutionality of evidence? I know a lot of appeals can be turned over due to errors in procedural law and that includes the gathering and handling of evidence.
    Errors in procedural law do not pertain to questions of fact.

    A question of law would be: Was the murder weapon obtained legally?

    A question of fact would be: Is it really the murder weapon?

    The adjudication of facts, in the American system, cannot be challenged on appeal; a jury has the final say on issues of fact.

  5. #255
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Amanda Knox had a fair trial in the land where she committed her crime.

    End of story, there.
    Did you even look at the evidence before you decided to run your mouth? No? I guess you'd better STFU then. Kthxbai.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 12-15-09 at 06:24 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Did you even look at the evidence before you decided to run your mouth? No? I guess you'd better STFU then. Kthxbai.
    Well he may have a point; if no one in Italy is shouting "UNFAIR TRIAL! UNFAIR TRIAL!" then perhaps she received a fair Italian trial. That's nothing to do with comparing it to our court system.

  7. #257
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Did you even look at the evidence before you decided to run your mouth? No? I guess you'd better STFU then. Kthxbai.
    Kandahar, while I appreciate your believing in Knox's innocence, must you act in this incredibly aggressive manner whenever someone chooses to believe she's guilty or received a fair trial? Look at Ethereal. He provides rational posts in making his arguments about why the facts have been misrepresented. You say, STFU? What is the matter with you?

  8. #258
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Well he may have a point; if no one in Italy is shouting "UNFAIR TRIAL! UNFAIR TRIAL!" then perhaps she received a fair Italian trial. That's nothing to do with comparing it to our court system.

    I think this is the largest sticking point....We are comparing it to our own rules of procedure, and such.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #259
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Interestingly, yesterday, when I was re-reading the article that Arcana posted, I got into an argument with a co-worker on our way home from work because he said, "There's too much evidence against her for her to be innocent." I was playing Ethereal and Kandahar on my way home. That shows how far I have come.

  10. #260
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Italian court convicts Amanda Knox of murder

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    Kandahar, while I appreciate your believing in Knox's innocence, must you act in this incredibly aggressive manner whenever someone chooses to believe she's guilty or received a fair trial? Look at Ethereal. He provides rational posts in making his arguments about why the facts have been misrepresented. You say, STFU? What is the matter with you?
    I love it when Liberals fight one another........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •