Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

  1. #41
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The trouble in the balkans pre-dates either christianity or islam.
    It does? (jellybabies)

  2. #42
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    But, did he do it because he was a religious fundamentalist? He also embraced the occult. By your logic, can we brand occultists the same way?
    He did it because he was a mad man, but that does not change the fact that he was a Christian. Jim Jones was a Christian who killed 900 people. David Koresh killed off all of his subjects in a fire ball.. were they not Christians?

    Muslims have been slaughtering people since day 1. But, for some crazy reason, you never seem to mention that.
    And so has Christianity. Your point being? I dont deny one bit that people of the Islamic faith have committed horrible crimes through out history, not one bit.. but that aint what we are discussing here are we now..
    PeteEU

  3. #43
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by Strucky View Post
    Hitler despised the Christian religion.
    So? Does it change the fact that he was a Christian? Can you show me where he changed religion and to what? He was born a Christian.

    I am a Christian but also despise those that use Christianity to further their own petty political agenda and use it to justify everything from discrimination to murder and rape.
    PeteEU

  4. #44
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    In point of fact I'm thinking most christians would claim they aren't/weren't.
    Of course not, not today.. but back then you bet they would.
    PeteEU

  5. #45
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Of course not, not today.. but back then you bet they would.
    I'm not a christian but I'm guessing the rules were the same then as now. The fact remains horrible things have been done in the name of religion, all religions since the beginning of time. Does this mean religion is bad? You have to answer that one yourself but I, personally, don't think so. Athiests, in the name of marx, managed to be the very besk killers of the last century, managing to kill something like 100 million in the name of socialism. I actually think socialism amounts to a religion in the way it has been used. Marx is jesus, Das Capital is the bible, and heaven (on earth in this case )is the reward if your a good socialist. In point of fact some are now refering to radical environmentalism as having/creating the same ferver as traditional religions. Pity. I'm thinking it's something very much ingrained into the human psyche.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  6. #46
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So? Does it change the fact that he was a Christian? Can you show me where he changed religion and to what? He was born a Christian.
    I would think the very fact he may have despised christianity and wasn't practicing it would mean, yeah, he wasn't a christian.


    I am a Christian but also despise those that use Christianity to further their own petty political agenda and use it to justify everything from discrimination to murder and rape.
    I should think most of us would.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  7. #47
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,146

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I would think the very fact he may have despised christianity and wasn't practicing it would mean, yeah, he wasn't a christian.
    Which "fact" or "facts" lead you to the speculation above?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  8. #48
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,555

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So? Does it change the fact that he was a Christian?
    Oh good god no, you did not just seriously say that....did you? Are you like, 13 or something?
    I am a Christian but also despise those that use Christianity to further their own petty political agenda and use it to justify everything from discrimination to murder and rape.
    I despise those who use religion to murder and rape too. >_<

  9. #49
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So? Does it change the fact that he was a Christian? Can you show me where he changed religion and to what? He was born a Christian.

    I am a Christian but also despise those that use Christianity to further their own petty political agenda and use it to justify everything from discrimination to murder and rape.
    Being born a Christian doesnt make one a Christian
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

  10. #50
    Hard As A Rock
    Strucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 08:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,074

    Re: Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    I agree that Hitler is a piss poor example. Though if your searching for an example of Genocidal christian dictators look no further than Oliver Cromwell. You should also bear in mind that the Nazi puppet regime in Croatia killed of Orthodox Christians and Jews with the support of the Catholic clergy in that country and that Francisco Franco's Falange was an explicitly catholic party. Though im amazed we,re even having this discussion when it was a little over a decade ago that we were bombing Yugoslavia in response (apparently)to a Christian genocide against Muslims.
    And yet those morons have come nowhere close to Atheist dictators like Stalin and Mao.
    "The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without."

    ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •