White House Jobs Summit: Real Progress or PR Stunt? - ABC News
Some observations:President Obama said today that he is not interested in "taking a wait-and-see approach" when it comes to job creation, as his administration faces unemployment numbers at their worst levels since 1983.
"What I'm interested in is taking action right now to help businesses create jobs right now, in the near term," the president said at the opening session of the White House jobs summit.
The summit, announced a week after the Bureau of Labor Statistics said unemployment reached 10.2 percent, is the administration's latest effort to do just that.
However, some critics dismiss it as little more than a publicity stunt.
Obama acknowledged the skepticism that the summit would produce tangible results, but said he was confident there would be some progress from the discussions among the 135 leaders from every sector of the economy -- government, labor, academia, non profits and business of all sizes -- gathered at the White House today.
"I'm confident that people like you -- who built thriving businesses or revolutionized industries or brought cities and communities together and changed the way we look at the world and innovated and created new products -- that you can come up with some additional good ideas on how to create jobs," he said.
"I need everybody here to bring their 'A game' here today," Obama added, challenging the participants to come up with "fresh perspectives" and "new ideas."
The president said he was looking for "specific recommendations" that can be implemented to spur job growth "as quickly as possible."
"I'm going to be asking some tough questions. I will be listening for some good answers. And I don't want to just brainstorm up at 30,000 feet," he said.
1. Even ABC sees through it.
2. "Real Progress or PR Stunt?"
3. That is, IF obtuse Obama's idiotic summit is indeed a sign of progress---WHAT THE HECK TOOK SO LONG?
4. We're fast approaching our 12th month under this incompetent president, and he only JUST NOW takes notice?
5. Of JOBS?
6. And his answer---today---is: SUMMIT?
8. He's still TALKING?
9. Trying to BRAINSTORM solutions?
10. He, as prez, is supposed to have ANSWERS.
11. And he's supposed to have found them A YEAR AGO.
12. His SUMMIT is a tacit admission that the STIMULUS didn't work.
13. His priorities his first year have been way off.
14. He's focused all his endless energies on social reforms like health care and cap and trade.
15. He's only now getting around to the single issue that slugs Americans in the gut.
16. And his social reconstructions actually work to kill job creation---cap and trade, payroll taxes in health care, taxes on small biz and targeted industries...
17. This morning he locked out of his ivory tower the Chamber of Commerce and the NFIB, according to MSNBC this morning.
18. Meanwhile, his Fed Chairman Bernanke is besieged in confirmation hearings in the Senate.
19. Independent/Socialist Sanders of Vermont says he will force the Fed's front-man to face down a filibuster or fail.
Sen. Bernie Sanders puts hold on Bernanke's 2nd term - Dec. 2, 2009
20. Bernanke is the bogey blamed for all Obama's bailouts, widely seen to have saved the super rich at the expense of everyone else.
21. SOCIALIZED were the losses of the megacorps thereby while PRIVATIZED were their gains.
22. Rasmussen has Bernanke's reappointment at just 21% support.
Just 21% Favor Bernanke?s Reappointment As Fed Chairman - Rasmussen Reports
23. Obama SUMMITING at this point to try to create jobs is one of the stupidest political images I believe I may ever have seen.
24. He's the most inept politician at the national level America has ever produced.