Page 72 of 80 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 791

Thread: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #711
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    That could be. Many people have different theories. However, you also aren't using faulty logic by making an absolute statement because there isn't sufficient data yet to back up the other side's argument.
    It's better to cover your ass in case you're wrong rather than look like an ass when you turn out to be wrong.

  2. #712
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    That could be. Many people have different theories. However, you also aren't using faulty logic by making an absolute statement because there isn't sufficient data yet to back up the other side's argument.
    You still think you can pass the burden of proof on the people who don't see a need to change the law. Thats not how it works.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  3. #713
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    I never said it wasn't legal as you well know.

    The very fact you couldn't care less how it was done as long as it was in your favor shows you have no interest in debating the legitimacy of going over the people's head as long as you get what you want.

    Sounds like a liberal cause to me
    Nah, not really. Honestly, even if all of the states that made it legal were to suddenly have a public vote which would make it illegal again it wouldn't worry me in the least. I guarantee that this issue isn't going away and it will keep going until it is made legal on a federal level. All of the things that are going on right now as far as certain states making it legal and whatever else is a part of the necessary struggling period.

  4. #714
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    You still think you can pass the burden of proof on the people who don't see a need to change the law. Thats not how it works.
    That may be true, but we are having a discussion on a debate forum..and you don't represent the people who change the law. So, rather than pretending to be a mouthpiece for those people, perhaps you yourself could join in on the discussion and back up your assertions.

  5. #715
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Nah, not really. Honestly, even if all of the states that made it legal were to suddenly have a public vote which would make it illegal again it wouldn't worry me in the least. I guarantee that this issue isn't going away and it will keep going until it is made legal on a federal level. All of the things that are going on right now as far as certain states making it legal and whatever else is a part of the necessary struggling period.
    No one ever said it was going away. The entire subject is making the case for it but you have already admitted you could care less as long as it gets in there is no point in debating you.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  6. #716
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    That may be true, but we are having a discussion on a debate forum..and you don't represent the people who change the law. So, rather than pretending to be a mouthpiece for those people, perhaps you yourself could join in on the discussion and back up your assertions.
    Again, you fail to understand that the burden of proof is on the people like yourself who want the law to change, not the people who see no need to change it.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #717
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    That doesn't answer my question. How are they different?



    Ok so you are claiming discrimination is the reason to allow gay marriage is that correct?
    Again....you need to study equal protection law to understand the analysis. Take a few minutes and do some on-line research.

    I can give you a 30 second lesson...but it probably won't help much.

    A "suspect" class is a group of individuals that have characteristics that are inherent, such as race, gender, etc.

    Homosexuality has not been treated as a suspect class. However, there is an intermediate class that the court sometimes employs. Sexual orientation has received treatment under this level. The idea being, the Court recognizing that sexual orientation MAY be inherent like race or gender...or it may not...thus, the court is not willing to extend suspect class status, but is willing to look at discrimination against groups based on sexual orientation with a higher level of scrutiny than it otherwise would.

    Polygamy has no indicators of being a suspect class.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #718
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Yet in the year the democrats had sweeping victories in the most liberal states it could not pass could it?
    Not all Democrats are liberal, nor do all dems support gay marriage so why would you expect it.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Again, race and homosexuality are not equal because one has been proven to be genetic while the other has not.
    It doesn't matter, making something illegal just because you are afraid of other non-related things happening is not a compelling reason to make it illegal.

    You anti-gay marriage folks are losing the battle, it is apparent each and every decade.

  9. #719
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Again....you need to study equal protection law to understand the analysis. Take a few minutes and do some on-line research.

    I can give you a 30 second lesson...but it probably won't help much.

    A "suspect" class is a group of individuals that have characteristics that are inherent, such as race, gender, etc.

    Homosexuality has not been treated as a suspect class.
    Thats because it has not been proven to be genetic.

    However, there is an intermediate class that the court sometimes employs. Sexual orientation has received treatment under this level. The idea being, the Court recognizing that sexual orientation MAY be inherent like race or gender...or it may not...thus, the court is not willing to extend suspect class status, but is willing to look at discrimination against groups based on sexual orientation with a higher level of scrutiny than it otherwise would.
    Some courts have claimed this but it is not fact which is the point.

    Polygamy has no indicators of being a suspect class.
    Again, that does not answer my question as to how the arguments would be different for legalizing marriage for either group.

    You can claim equal protection law all you like but if you cannot prove how they are different under the law you have no case to make the claim they are different.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  10. #720
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Not all Democrats are liberal, nor do all dems support gay marriage so why would you expect it.
    I never did expect it. But many who support your side did.

    It doesn't matter, making something illegal just because you are afraid of other non-related things happening is not a compelling reason to make it illegal.
    I never said I was afraid. Please read more carefully.

    You anti-gay marriage folks are losing the battle, it is apparent each and every decade.
    Keep on hoping that
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

Page 72 of 80 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •