Page 71 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 791

Thread: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #701
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    That's interesting, because already it's been legalized in a few states. I don't recall them having to prove that it was genetic for those. Or are these simply your rules in some imaginary reality where you are the king?
    Oh goody. Would you like to base your argument on the ones they made to allow it?

    I remind you it was not done by public vote..
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  2. #702
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Come on.

    .....
    What is your problem this time?

  3. #703
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Perhaps in your mind yes you have.
    And perhaps in your mind I haven't, but I have provided those compelling reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    If you claim that people need to be of a certain age to marry then you are making a moral judgment, the same moral judgment we have made as a society in over 30 states to reject gay marriage.
    Yeah and we also at a time in the U.S. made interracial marriage illegal. Does the fact that it is not legal now make it irrelevant? Did the fact that interracial marriage was illegal at a time mean that it wouldn't be legal at some point?

    Again, 30 years ago, gay marriage wasn't even able to make it on the ballot and now it has. Time is on the pro-gay marriage side and the anti-gay marriage crowd is losing each decade.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    My problem with people who are for gay marriage is many do not want to look at the doors it opens to other alternative lifestyles demanding the same thing they are.
    Oh please, the same arguments were used when interracial marriage was made legal as well. The end of the world hasn't come.

    If you just want to make gay marriage illegal because you are afraid of other things, you and others will lose in the end.

    Tell me what are you going to do when gay marriage is made legal, leave the U.S.? Divorce your wife? Seriously, how is it going to affect you when it is made legal. My guess is, you will huff and pout, but will go on with your everyday life just as those people did that were against interracial marriage.

  4. #704
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Actually the only thing the genetics argument has shown is that gay marriage supporters who use it must admit their basis is purely on faith since they can't prove its existence.
    Well, you won't see me arguing the genetics angle because it is still unproven. In a recent research study they were unable to find a specific gay gene, but it still could be genetic. See things are a lot more complex than you would like to believe. The fact that it is unproven means that neither argument (it is genetic vs. it isn't genetic) has sufficient data to back it up. However, I can tell you that your logic of "there isn't sufficient evidence to prove that it is genetic, so it must not be" is completely absurd and faulty logic. So, really...any way you look at it you are wrong.

  5. #705
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    Oh goody. Would you like to base your argument on the ones they made to allow it?

    I remind you it was not done by public vote..
    I could care less how it was done. It was done through legal channels. Just because you don't agree with the method doesn't make it any less legal.

  6. #706
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And perhaps in your mind I haven't, but I have provided those compelling reasons.
    In your mind yes.

    Yeah and we also at a time in the U.S. made interracial marriage illegal. Does the fact that it is not legal now make it irrelevant? Did the fact that interracial marriage was illegal at a time mean that it wouldn't be legal at some point?
    Here we go again. Race is genetic. Homosexuality has never been proven to be so despite multiple attempts so you cannot relate the two.

    Again, 30 years ago, gay marriage wasn't even able to make it on the ballot and now it has. Time is on the pro-gay marriage side and the anti-gay marriage crowd is losing each decade.
    Yet in the year the democrats had sweeping victories in the most liberal states it could not pass could it?



    Oh please, the same arguments were used when interracial marriage was made legal as well. The end of the world hasn't come.

    If you just want to make gay marriage illegal because you are afraid of other things, you and others will lose in the end.

    Tell me what are you going to do when gay marriage is made legal, leave the U.S.? Divorce your wife? Seriously, how is it going to affect you when it is made legal. My guess is, you will huff and pout, but will go on with your everyday life just as those people did that were against interracial marriage.
    Again, race and homosexuality are not equal because one has been proven to be genetic while the other has not.
    Last edited by texmaster; 12-10-09 at 05:55 PM.
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  7. #707
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Well, you won't see me arguing the genetics angle because it is still unproven. In a recent research study they were unable to find a specific gay gene, but it still could be genetic. See things are a lot more complex than you would like to believe. The fact that it is unproven means that neither argument (it is genetic vs. it isn't genetic) has sufficient data to back it up. However, I can tell you that your logic of "there isn't sufficient evidence to prove that it is genetic, so it must not be" is completely absurd and faulty logic. So, really...any way you look at it you are wrong.

    I don't think it's genetic but rather it is simply a chemical reaction. I don't think it's anymore genetic than say...your favorite food or color.

  8. #708
    Hippie Hater
    texmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dallas TEXAS
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,969

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I could care less how it was done. It was done through legal channels. Just because you don't agree with the method doesn't make it any less legal.
    I never said it wasn't legal as you well know.

    The very fact you couldn't care less how it was done as long as it was in your favor shows you have no interest in debating the legitimacy of going over the people's head as long as you get what you want.

    Sounds like a liberal cause to me
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

    John Adams

  9. #709
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I don't think it's genetic but rather it is simply a chemical reaction. I don't think it's anymore genetic than say...your favorite food or color.
    That could be. Many people have different theories. However, you also aren't using faulty logic by making an absolute statement because there isn't sufficient data yet to back up the other side's argument.

  10. #710
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Lots of people are legally excluded from marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Well, you won't see me arguing the genetics angle because it is still unproven. In a recent research study they were unable to find a specific gay gene, but it still could be genetic. See things are a lot more complex than you would like to believe. The fact that it is unproven means that neither argument (it is genetic vs. it isn't genetic) has sufficient data to back it up. However, I can tell you that your logic of "there isn't sufficient evidence to prove that it is genetic, so it must not be" is completely absurd and faulty logic. So, really...any way you look at it you are wrong.
    However, it has been proven in model organisms that there is a gene that controls sexuality. It has been pin-pointed to the specific arm of a specific chromosome. There has been no success in switching it on and off but it is there.

    That, however, does not make one bit of difference in terms of the gay marriage debate.

Page 71 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •