Page 44 of 80 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 791

Thread: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #431
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    What laws that have tried to govern 'fairness' and 'equality' that were met with little to no resistance and accomplished exactly what they were set out to do? I mean, I can't think of any off the top of my head so I just want another viewpoint.
    Well, desegregation was met with a lot of resistance but it did end people getting arrested for not sitting at the back of the bus.

  2. #432
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I don't know what you mean - what else can I use except words? You mean we're not in person? That's probably a good thing sometimes. On the other hand, it does enable rudeness.

    I used more than words though - I used links!
    It's difficult because someone may not read what you're saying in the manner that you thought it, which can definitely create some barriers, and I do appreciate the link to the Univ. of Iowa.

  3. #433
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Not 'just like' that at all. You and I walk into any city admin and ask for a marriage license, we'll be denied on the basis of gender. So in this case, blacks cannot marry within gender either, neither can whites. Not 'just like' your school analogy at all.
    But you can't mix analogies together! It's not about blacks and whites marrying!

    Let's try again - a black man goes to a prestigious university and is denied entry on the basis of race. Is that okay?

  4. #434
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    It's difficult because someone may not read what you're saying in the manner that you thought it, which can definitely create some barriers,
    Sure, but it seems many simply didn't read it at all, and certainly didn't explain what they thought I was saying.

  5. #435
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Well, desegregation was met with a lot of resistance but it did end people getting arrested for not sitting at the back of the bus.
    And slowly but surely, not really all peacefully, people came around. So either we can go the way of the Civil Rights movement and go gung ho, piss off a bunch of people (Anti-Homo-Marriage crowd), and then eventually settle into 'peace' and 'equality' with all sorts of organizations and programs like the NAACP and Affirmative Action, or they can slowly take what they want, piece by piece, being patient. That's usually how I go about getting something I want, If I can't get it right away.
    Last edited by EpicDude86; 12-08-09 at 01:27 PM.

  6. #436
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Sure, but it seems many simply didn't read it at all, and certainly didn't explain what they thought I was saying.
    The same could be said about your posts though, especially regarding the law ornaments issue

  7. #437
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    The same could be said about your posts though, especially regarding the law ornaments issue
    Communication is a two-way street, yes.

  8. #438
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    And slowly but surely, not really all peacefully, people came around. So either we can go the way of the Civil Rights movement and go gung ho, piss off a bunch of people (Anti-Homo-Marriage crowd), and then eventually settle into 'peace' and 'equality' with all sorts of organizations and programs like the NAACP and Affirmative Action, or they can slowly take what they want, piece by piece, being patient. That's usually how I go about getting something I want, If I can't get it right away.
    After seeing what they pulled in California, all bets are off at this point. It is a struggle and a fight and it is one that will not be won by compromising positions to keep the peace.

    There was an attempt to keep it civil and respectful with a spirit of compromise and open dialog. That time has passed.

  9. #439
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    After seeing what they pulled in California, all bets are off at this point. It is a struggle and a fight and it is one that will not be won by compromising positions to keep the peace.

    There was an attempt to keep it civil and respectful with a spirit of compromise and open dialog. That time has passed.
    What did the Homosexual community want in California? A word or the same rights?

  10. #440
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    What did the Homosexual community want in California? A word or the same rights?
    The same rights. And the word cannot be seperated from the rights when you get down to it. If a new word were applied to the same rights, all kinds of openings would be left for legal wrangling by those who opposed the rights to begin with with. There would be challenge after challenge to any of those rights enumerated as being the same because you have an element in this society that believes their moral convictions should be codefied into legally encouraged social ethics and norms.

    You cannot give these people an inch and trust that they will be satisfied. Today it is a battle for the word but if conceded, tomorrow it will be a battle for the institution again. This element in society espouses equality but they firmly believe that their beliefs are a little more equal.

Page 44 of 80 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •