Page 23 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 791

Thread: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Marriage is a privilege graned by the state, and thus, not a right.
    That may be true in the most gross oversimplification of the issue, but the fact is that the State is not permitted to grant privileges to some without granting equal privileges to all. The State is not permitted to create a state sanctioned privileged class.

    Your assertion is false.

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    That may be true in the most gross oversimplification of the issue, but the fact is that the State is not permitted to grant privileges to some without granting equal privileges to all. The State is not permitted to create a state sanctioned privileged class.

    Your assertion is false.
    Actually the state can grant privileges, however these usually have to be 'earned' or 'qualified for' rather than just given. Like tax breaks, drivers licenses, or welfare services, etc.

  3. #223
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by NDNdancer View Post
    Those of you who are anti-gay marriage on moral grounds.. i.e. the gay is morally wrong!..... Are you willing to go the gamut? If you truly believe that, then what's the next step? Should we ban homosexual everything? Even to denying them freedom and life as Uganda's prepared to do?

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...-genocide.html

    The moment you deny people equal rights, you begin that slide down the slippery slope.
    Not even close to being the same thing.

    Marriage laws don't discriminate against gays; they define marriage as being between a man and a woman, as they always have.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Actually the state can grant privileges, however these usually have to be 'earned' or 'qualified for' rather than just given. Like tax breaks, drivers licenses, or welfare services, etc.
    True, but they can't extend these privileges to some while having an overarching discriminatory policy against others.

    They cannot create a privileged class.

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Can't be - marriage is a privilege graned by the state, and thus, not a right.
    It falls under "Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Property (Happiness)" and as such should not have to be GIVEN by the state, but rather protected from being taken away without due process or a damn good reason. Buttsecks is not a good reason to deny Homosexuals the right to Same-Sex marriage.

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    True, but they can't extend these privileges to some while having an overarching discriminatory policy against others.

    They cannot create a privileged class.
    Amen. And so long as homosexuals and same-sex unions of any type do not receive the same benefits as different-sex marriages, then it's total bull****. Now, should homosexuals have the right to legally refer to it as marriage? I think they can live without a word...and who cares about a word??? They should seek instead to get the RIGHTS rather than the word. Both sides can give a little to meet in the middle, but I highly doubt either side will.

  7. #227
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-03-10 @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    88

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    True, but they can't extend these privileges to some while having an overarching discriminatory policy against others.

    They cannot create a privileged class.
    A state may pass any law that does not contradict the state constitution. It does not mean that the law will stand up in a state or federal court if it breaks other already existing laws. But what we are talking about here is a refusal of the State of New York to change the legal definition of the term marriage within the state. Some may claim that changing that definition would create a privileged class.

  8. #228
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    It falls under "Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Property (Happiness)" and as such should not have to be GIVEN by the state, but rather protected from being taken away without due process or a damn good reason.
    If a state repeals all its marriage laws, then marriage as a legal entity ceases to exist. As such, marriage is a privilege, not a right.

    You could still go thru a marriage ceremony and then SAY that you are married, but doing so carries no legal meaning -- and it is something that anyone and everyone, including homosexuals are presently fully free to do.

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Amen. And so long as homosexuals and same-sex unions of any type do not receive the same benefits as different-sex marriages, then it's total bull****. Now, should homosexuals have the right to legally refer to it as marriage? I think they can live without a word...and who cares about a word??? They should seek instead to get the RIGHTS rather than the word. Both sides can give a little to meet in the middle, but I highly doubt either side will.
    I used to believe that, but I no longer do. As long as the institution is separated out, even just by name, it is going to be a point of contention. I do not believe for one minute that NARTH or Focus on the Family or any of these other family advocacy groups would stop at a separate but equal institution. But if the institution is the exact same, I highly doubt the would be inclined to screw with it for fear of screwing themselves over in the process.

  10. #230
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: New York State Senate Votes Down Gay Marriage Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    That may be true in the most gross oversimplification of the issue, but the fact is that the State is not permitted to grant privileges to some without granting equal privileges to all. The State is not permitted to create a state sanctioned privileged class.
    Your assertion is false.
    My assertion it true, as you agree, above.

    Now, you -may- be correct in that the state cannot deny privilieges to some without granting them to all -- which is debateable and depends on a great many things -- but the fact is, the state is -still- granting a privilege.

    The RIGHT in question here is not the right to marry, but the right to equal protection.

Page 23 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •