Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 283

Thread: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

  1. #211
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    IF the NPR isn't a Liberal Mouthpiece then I'm going to be the next President of the United State and win by a landslide.
    Congratulations, Mr. President.

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post

    It seems that the hyper-partisan hacks now use the Breaking News forum to post their partisan smear jobs as 'news'-worthy items.

    Is any mod every going to do anything?

    Vicchio, something a senator said off the cuff or out of context is not 'news'. It's not even a story. It's just a quote.

    The BN guidelines need to be reformed so we don't have to wade through this garbage.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    If that were true, the NYT would have failed years ago, as a paper publication. Yet it thrived. So obviously there is something else going on. The NYT still has millions of subscribers, it just hasn't cracked the online market as well. Most papers haven't.
    The NYT IS failing. Circulation has dropped dramatically in the past ten years. It has a circulation of less than one million, while the WSJ has over 2 million subscribers. Circulation of the NYT has dropped over 7% in just the past year. They are on the brink of bankruptcy, which is why they were forced to sell part of their New York building. They were desperate for cash.

    They are hardly "thriving".

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  4. #214
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Everyone else providing it free. Why would I charge when everyone else provides similar general content for free?

    What would happen if everyone charged? Would people pay? At what price point? If you bothered to read my posts, you would have noticed I already dealt with this issue.
    HAHAHAHA.

    No, you didn't.


    That's called "Free markets" dear. If you have a product worth paying for, they will come. What you are basically saying is many of these papers lack a quality product to draw enough subscribers to continue! Isn't that amazing?

    So the Government should save them from their own failure?

    I think not.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #215
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    The NYT IS failing. Circulation has dropped dramatically in the past ten years. It has a circulation of less than one million, while the WSJ has over 2 million subscribers. Circulation of the NYT has dropped over 7% in just the past year. They are on the brink of bankruptcy, which is why they were forced to sell part of their New York building. They were desperate for cash.

    They are hardly "thriving".
    No, not now. But that's because they are losing out to the internet. Not because of their content. The point is that they did fine with their content until the internet came along. It's not a content problem. That's all.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    It seems that the hyper-partisan hacks now use the Breaking News forum to post their partisan smear jobs as 'news'-worthy items.

    Is any mod every going to do anything?

    Vicchio, something a senator said off the cuff or out of context is not 'news'. It's not even a story. It's just a quote.

    The BN guidelines need to be reformed so we don't have to wade through this garbage.
    The moderator's obviously find your assessment to be... hyper partisan whining.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #217
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No, not now. But that's because they are losing out to the internet. Not because of their content. The point is that they did fine with their content until the internet came along. It's not a content problem. That's all.
    So they either have to adapt to new markets or go out of business!

    That's called life guys.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #218
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    So they either have to adapt to new markets or go out of business!

    That's called life guys.
    Fine.

    My point, which has yet to sink in, is their failure is not due to their content.

  9. #219
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    It seems that the hyper-partisan hacks now use the Breaking News forum to post their partisan smear jobs as 'news'-worthy items.
    Yes, you do. What's yout point?

  10. #220
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No, not now. But that's because they are losing out to the internet. Not because of their content. The point is that they did fine with their content until the internet came along. It's not a content problem. That's all.
    Baloney. Why is the Wall Street Journal circulation so much higher???

    They did fine with their content before the internet because nobody had another choice. CNN did fine before Fox News came along too, but now they are getting their butts kicked by Fox.

    Do you claim that CNN's content is as popular as Fox's?? Of course not. Circulation numbers and ratings don't lie. Advertisers pay based on circulation, so the NYT is failing.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •