Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 283

Thread: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    If you have a problem with all the world's media when it doesn't pander directly to you for profit, the problem is with you, not the media.
    No my problem is this the 1st Adm Congress needs to go and re-learn it and stay out of anything involving the Media

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    How is this going to affect the journalistic integrity of the news affected by this?

    You mean theres a communist party affiliate with direct control over the editors of these publications?

    ::makes cross with index fingers::

    Stae Back, Ye Mad-Man!

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    How is this going to affect the journalistic integrity of the news affected by this?

    You mean theres a communist party affiliate with direct control over the editors of these publications?

    ::makes cross with index fingers::



    Stae Back, Ye Mad-Man!
    No Congress has no business getting involved with the day to day or anything with the media what you are now saying that Congress should just throw out the 1st Adm.

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    What does it have to do with the first amendment?

    ..plz...... explain...

  5. #205
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    What you don't seem to understand is that although plenty of people go to the dinosaur media web sites, they only go because its free.
    Which is just conjecture on your part. We don't actually know this.

    The content is not worth paying for, just like the print version isn't worth the price.
    Again, more conjecture on your part.

    It is somewhat reasonable to assume your position, but it ignores a fundamental problem. As I already alluded to, general content has been in somewhat of a pickle in determining if online subscriptions will work. Why pay for one general content when you can get similar general content elsewhere?
    Now, if all general content providers charged, would people be willing to pay?

    It's not necessarily that the content is not worth paying for, it's that why pay when I can get it free elsewhere? What happens when you can't get it free? Will people pay? That's the real question that actually works on the facts on the ground.

    The WSJ and few others are increasing circulation, print and web, because they have a product people are willing to pay for.
    Yes and no. WSJ and niche oriented providers have a product people are willing to pay for and a niche that has few competitors. It's a niche. Duh. What we have with general providers is a product that we don't know if people are willing to pay for online with lots of competitors. To actually get something we can work with, we need to change some of the factors. I highly suspect that many people are willing to pay for general content, but the question is how many and at what price.

    You call it a distribution problem, everyone else knows its a content problem. They have content that is not worth paying for.
    Again, more conjecture on your part. Your argument ignores the issue of lots of free providers removing incentives for people to pay. If you take away the free access, will people pay? I don't know.

    What we've seen with the movie/music industry is that a subset of people are willing to pay despite being able to get the content free. The issue for many of them is ease. The content itself is still the same.

    Your argument from a superficial point makes some sense, but ignores a variety of very real factors that change personal choices. Until we can eliminate some of these factors, it's hard to say if the content is not worth paying for.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 12-07-09 at 09:36 PM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #206
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    BINGO.

    OC, you claim that it's about the content being "free" that's the problem. What's stopping them FROM CHARGING FOR IT?
    Everyone else providing it free. Why would I charge when everyone else provides similar general content for free?

    What would happen if everyone charged? Would people pay? At what price point? If you bothered to read my posts, you would have noticed I already dealt with this issue.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #207
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggae_6 View Post
    You do not know very much about NPR or its history.
    Actually, yes I do. But since you didn't bother to offer any details, I'll assume that it is you that doesn't know much about NPR or you would have elaborated.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #208
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Which is just conjecture on your part. We don't actually know this.



    Again, more conjecture on your part.

    It is somewhat reasonable to assume your position, but it ignores a fundamental problem. As I already alluded to, general content has been in somewhat of a pickle in determining if online subscriptions will work. Why pay for one general content when you can get similar general content elsewhere?
    Now, if all general content providers charged, would people be willing to pay?

    It's not necessarily that the content is not worth paying for, it's that why pay when I can get it free elsewhere? What happens when you can't get it free? Will people pay? That's the real question that actually works on the facts on the ground.



    Yes and no. WSJ and niche oriented providers have a product people are willing to pay for and a niche that has few competitors. It's a niche. Duh. What we have with general providers is a product that we don't know if people are willing to pay for online with lots of competitors. To actually get something we can work with, we need to change some of the factors. I highly suspect that many people are willing to pay for general content, but the question is how many and at what price.



    Again, more conjecture on your part. Your argument ignores the issue of lots of free providers removing incentives for people to pay. If you take away the free access, will people pay? I don't know.

    What we've seen with the movie/music industry is that a subset of people are willing to pay despite being able to get the content free. The issue for many of them is ease. The content itself is still the same.

    Your argument from a superficial point makes some sense, but ignores a variety of very real factors that change personal choices. Until we can eliminate some of these factors, it's hard to say if the content is not worth paying for.
    I don't consider it conjecture when the dinosaur media have been unable to charge for their content. The NY Times has tried twice and failed miserably each time. The WSJ has a flourishing online subscription business.

    I think any reasonable person would admit that the WSJ has content worth paying for, while the NY Times does not.

    We don't have to say if certain newspaper's content is worth paying for, subscribers have already decided.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #209
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    No Congress has no business getting involved with the day to day or anything with the media what you are now saying that Congress should just throw out the 1st Adm.
    How does any of this involve "day-to-day" involvement with the media?

  10. #210
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I think any reasonable person would admit that the WSJ has content worth paying for, while the NY Times does not.
    If that were true, the NYT would have failed years ago, as a paper publication. Yet it thrived. So obviously there is something else going on. The NYT still has millions of subscribers, it just hasn't cracked the online market as well. Most papers haven't.

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •