Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 283

Thread: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

  1. #191
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    WSJ online, growing successful business model.

    That's all need be said OC.
    Did I disagree with that at all? No. WSJ did an excellent job on charging for its online content. A few others do a good job in this as well. What general newspapers have failed to do (and I wonder if you will ever understand this extremely simple concept) is put up a toll gate on their web content.

    The problem again for what? The 6th time? is distribution. If product was the problem, no one would go to their sites. Except despite your deliberate avoidance of my argument to the contrary because it's easier for you to pretend evidence that doesn't support your position doesn't exist (are you a creationist btw?), there are plenty of people going to their websites suggesting content ain't the issue.

    If people are turning to other methods of news, if certain companies cannot make a profit, then they just need to go away.
    Or they simply need to put up a toll gate. Imagine that. The primary problem is how do you charge people for general content that many providers are still providing for free? Niche providers of niche content bypass this problem. And ad revenue for general content has never been very lucrative opposed to ad content for niche content such as Bloomberg. This is primary the reason why many general content papers haven't moved quickly into forcing paid online subscriptions.

    You say there is a vital need for the Journalist product, I agree.
    I did? Where? Actually, I wouldn't mind having 95% of our media go the way of the dinosaurs. Most of it is awful, dishonest and insanely inaccurate.

    However, let the market figure out the best way to create a profitable product that people are willing to pay for.

    Why is that concept beyond you?
    You still don't get it do you?

    I'm mostly on your case for your inability to honestly discuss what the speech was about.

    Notice the constant mockery revolving around feelings? Yeah. You aren't working on the facts of the speech. Just your feelings. Which makes you a giant hypocrite in your defense of Bush against the feelings of others.

    You still don't get that I don't disagree with the basic premise of your beliefs. It's just that you go to extreme lengths in dishonest ways while completely ignoring the actual facts on the ground and nuanced views. Do I have problems with Zyplin or RightInNYC or many other right leaning posters? No. Because they have nuanced, fact based views. You don't.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 12-07-09 at 05:31 PM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    01-21-10 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    744

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    "They will need to shape the media?"....BWAHAHAHA....where have you people been for the last hundred years?

  3. #193
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child
    Did I disagree with that at all? No. WSJ did an excellent job on charging for its online content. A few others do a good job in this as well. What general newspapers have failed to do (and I wonder if you will ever understand this extremely simple concept) is put up a toll gate on their web content.

    The problem again for what? The 6th time? is distribution. If product was the problem, no one would go to their sites. Except despite your deliberate avoidance of my argument to the contrary because it's easier for you to pretend evidence that doesn't support your position doesn't exist (are you a creationist btw?), there are plenty of people going to their websites suggesting content ain't the issue.
    What you don't seem to understand is that although plenty of people go to the dinosaur media web sites, they only go because its free. The content is not worth paying for, just like the print version isn't worth the price.

    The WSJ and few others are increasing circulation, print and web, because they have a product people are willing to pay for.

    You call it a distribution problem, everyone else knows its a content problem. They have content that is not worth paying for.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  4. #194
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    What you don't seem to understand is that although plenty of people go to the dinosaur media web sites, they only go because its free. The content is not worth paying for, just like the print version isn't worth the price.

    The WSJ and few others are increasing circulation, print and web, because they have a product people are willing to pay for.

    You call it a distribution problem, everyone else knows its a content problem. They have content that is not worth paying for.
    BINGO.

    OC, you claim that it's about the content being "free" that's the problem. What's stopping them FROM CHARGING FOR IT?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    NPR is a very liberal newsource. Of course its not having any financial trouble. As you said, they are publicly funded. Whenever they need more money, they run to Congress and ask for more.
    It is not liberal whatsoever. They actually go out of their way to ignore some of the idiotic **** republicans do. Its a good news source, that makes it liberal enough in your eyes I assume. They are responsible for the right being able to save any face at all in alot of cases.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    It is not liberal whatsoever. They actually go out of their way to ignore some of the idiotic **** republicans do. Its a good news source, that makes it liberal enough in your eyes I assume. They are responsible for the right being able to save any face at all in alot of cases.
    That you think NPR isn't left wing means you don't really vary your news sources.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    I watch aljazeera, NPR, foxnews on occasion, CNN, BBC and whatever google news brings me on the web.

    In a planet full of media most of them stake their prestige and reputation on being unbiased sources of information. I wouldn't seek out a rightwing news source to compare them to cept foxnews.

    Maybe to a tiny domestic poltical point of view trapped between two diametrically opposed absolutes you can properly place value of liberal and conservative on a 2 dimensional scale but that simply isnt how news works.

  8. #198
    Advisor Ziggae_6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisville, KY Hometown: Chicago
    Last Seen
    01-02-11 @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    345

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    NPR is a very liberal newsource. Of course its not having any financial trouble. As you said, they are publicly funded. Whenever they need more money, they run to Congress and ask for more.

    You do not know very much about NPR or its history.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    It is not liberal whatsoever. They actually go out of their way to ignore some of the idiotic **** republicans do. Its a good news source, that makes it liberal enough in your eyes I assume. They are responsible for the right being able to save any face at all in alot of cases.
    IF the NPR isn't a Liberal Mouthpiece then I'm going to be the next President of the United State and win by a landslide.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Govt will need to help shape U.S. media: Waxman

    If you have a problem with all the world's media when it doesn't pander directly to you for profit, the problem is with you, not the media.

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •