Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Russia, Moscow
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    120

    Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    The Large Hadron Collider set a new world record on Monday, accelerating its twin beams of protons to unprecedented energy levels, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) said on its website.

    The record of 1.18 TeV comes 10 days after the LHC was restarted. The previous world record of 0.98 TeV had been held by the U.S. Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory's Tevatron collider since 2001, CERN said.

    The first circulating beam of protons successfully made it through the LHC's entirety on November 20. Last Monday, beams of protons started circulating in both directions around the LHC, and the first proton collisions were produced.

    Large Hadron Collider sets world record - CERN | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

  2. #2
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    Quote Originally Posted by Kss View Post
    The Large Hadron Collider set a new world record on Monday, accelerating its twin beams of protons to unprecedented energy levels, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) said on its website.

    The record of 1.18 TeV comes 10 days after the LHC was restarted. The previous world record of 0.98 TeV had been held by the U.S. Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory's Tevatron collider since 2001, CERN said.

    The first circulating beam of protons successfully made it through the LHC's entirety on November 20. Last Monday, beams of protons started circulating in both directions around the LHC, and the first proton collisions were produced.

    Large Hadron Collider sets world record - CERN | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire
    What? No black holes that destroyed the world!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,899

    Re: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    What? No black holes that destroyed the world!
    They won't be running the particle accelerator at full capacity until spring/summer 2010.

    You can also check this handy website if you are worried.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  4. #4
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    They won't be running the particle accelerator at full capacity until spring/summer 2010.

    You can also check this handy website if you are worried.
    Why would I be worried? I think this is the best thing since sliced bread!

    I remember first reading about it and the excitement and drama around it be used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #5
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    Very cool stuff. I can't wait to see what they learn.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,899

    Re: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog
    Why would I be worried? I think this is the best thing since sliced bread!

    I remember first reading about it and the excitement and drama around it be used.
    You obviously didn't go to the website.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  7. #7
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    You obviously didn't go to the website.
    I did go to the site (the original one in the story).

    This does not change my view in any way. This is a great thing and it will help teach us more about the origins of the universe and many, MANY other things.

    Oh! your joke website. Yes, that was stupid, but you got me.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-30-09 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #8
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    They won't be running the particle accelerator at full capacity until spring/summer 2010.

    You can also check this handy website if you are worried.
    Why would a website that just the word "nope" alleviate the fears that people might about about the alleged potential dangers about the Large Hadron Collider?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #9
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,899

    Re: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    Quote Originally Posted by james"partypooper"rage
    Why would a website that just the word "nope" alleviate the fears that people might about about the alleged potential dangers about the Large Hadron Collider?
    It doesn't simply say "Nope". It answers the question of whether or not it has destroyed the universe yet. If it is destroyed then it will change to "Yep" (although you have to email the creator so he is aware of it).

    You're no fun.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  10. #10
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Large Hadron Collider sets world record

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    It doesn't simply say "Nope". It answers the question of whether or not it has destroyed the universe yet. If it is destroyed then it will change to "Yep" (although you have to email the creator so he is aware of it).
    If it destroyed the universe then no one would be around to change the website or to look at it. The fact that it yet to do anything harmful is no consolation to those with concerns. Simply belittling and making fun of the concerns of people is not going to win any arguments or convince people that you are right. When a lot of people think about Large Hadron Collider they think a about a device that can create a black hole or the something similar.If this premise is false then it should be pointed out how it is false. It like people who have concerns over nuclear power plants. Just because something like Chernobyl has not happened in the US(as I far as I know) does not mean people are not going to be less worried about it or simply dismiss it as the failure or a failing communist power.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 11-30-09 at 12:31 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •