Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    RTÉ News: 'Litany of abuse' in Dublin Archdiocese

    The report of the Commission of Investigation into the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin has said it has no doubt that clerical child abuse was covered up by the Archdiocese and other church authorities.

    he report accuses gardaí of connivance with the Church in effectively stifling one complaint, and allowing the perpetrator to leave the country.

    The three-volume report, covering a period of abuse from the period 1975 to 2004, was published this afternoon by Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern.

    Read remarks made by Mr Ahern.

    The report details a litany of abuse perpetrated by priests against more than 300 victims. It says that Archbishop Desmond Connell's strategies in refusing to admit liability often added to the hurt and grief of many victims of abuse.

    The Commission of Investigation cost a total of €3.6m up to April of this year.

    The report rubbishes the view put forward by the church that the abuse was hidden from view and somehow took church authorities by surprise.

    It states that the vast majority of priests turned a blind eye to abuse although some did bring complaints to their superiors.

    In June and July of 2009, just as it was finalising its work, the Commission became aware of additional information which it states may require further investigation and if necessary the preparation of a final report.

    Last year, Cardinal Desmond Connell got an injunction against the commission preventing it from examining files.

    He withdrew the High Court attemt 11 days later, amid speculation that he may have been persuaded by fellow clergy in retirement to hand over his problems to his successor.

    Clerical abuse was covered up

    The report states that the Commission has no doubt that clerical child abuse was covered up by the Archdiocese of Dublin and other church authorities.

    It states that the structures and rules of the church facilitated that cover-up. It also says that State authorities facilitated the cover up by allowing the church to be beyond the reach of the law.

    It claims that the welfare of children, which should have been the first priority, was not even a factor considered in the early days by State and church authorities.

    The preservation of the good name, status and assets of church institutions was the first priority, according to the report, which states that priests were seen as the most important members of the institution.

    The Commission says that it has identified 320 people who complained of child sexual abuse during the period 1975-2004.

    It also states that since May 2004 130 complaints against priests operating in the Dublin Arch Diocese have been made.

    The report details the cases of 46 priests guilty of abuse, as a representative sample of 102 priests within its remit.

    The report strongly criticises gardaí. It states that senior members of the force regarded priests as being outside their remit and it claims there are examples of gardaí reporting abuse complaints to the Diocese rather than investigating them.

    It states that in the 1960s, then Garda Commissioner Costigan's decision to hand one case to Archbishop McQuaid was inappropriate. It also states that the relationship between some senior gardaí and some priests and Bishops was inappropriate.

    No direct evidence of paedophile ring

    The report says it can find no direct evidence of a paedophile ring existing among priests in the Dublin Archdiocese although it says there were some worrying connections.

    The report highlights the case of a Fr Carney and Fr McCarthy whom it claims in one case both abused the same child.

    The abuse by Fr Carney often occurred at swimming pools sometimes when accompanied by another priest.

    The report states that it was not until 1995 that the Archdiocese began to notify the civil authorities of complaints of clerical abuse.

    The Commission concludes that in light of this and other facts every bishop's primary loyalty was to the church itself.

    All the Archbishops of the Diocese in the period covered by the Commission were aware of some complaints, according to the report.

    The move by the Archdiocese to take out insurance against potential compensation claims arising out of clerical abuse was according to the report an act of proving knowledge of child sexual abuse as a potential major cost to the Archdiocese.

    The report running to hundreds of pages details particular priests and the litany of abuse perpetrated by them.

    The HSE National Counselling Service has collaborated with the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, the Church-funded Faoiseamh service, One-in-Four, Connect and the Samaritans to ensure that every caller affected by today's publication will be offered the service they feel is right for them.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    RTÉ News: 'Litany of abuse' in Dublin Archdiocese

    The report of the Commission of Investigation into the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin has said it has no doubt that clerical child abuse was covered up by the Archdiocese and other church authorities.

    he report accuses gardaí of connivance with the Church in effectively stifling one complaint, and allowing the perpetrator to leave the country.

    The three-volume report, covering a period of abuse from the period 1975 to 2004, was published this afternoon by Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern.

    Read remarks made by Mr Ahern.

    The report details a litany of abuse perpetrated by priests against more than 300 victims. It says that Archbishop Desmond Connell's strategies in refusing to admit liability often added to the hurt and grief of many victims of abuse.

    The Commission of Investigation cost a total of €3.6m up to April of this year.

    The report rubbishes the view put forward by the church that the abuse was hidden from view and somehow took church authorities by surprise.

    It states that the vast majority of priests turned a blind eye to abuse although some did bring complaints to their superiors.

    In June and July of 2009, just as it was finalising its work, the Commission became aware of additional information which it states may require further investigation and if necessary the preparation of a final report.

    Last year, Cardinal Desmond Connell got an injunction against the commission preventing it from examining files.

    He withdrew the High Court attemt 11 days later, amid speculation that he may have been persuaded by fellow clergy in retirement to hand over his problems to his successor.

    Clerical abuse was covered up

    The report states that the Commission has no doubt that clerical child abuse was covered up by the Archdiocese of Dublin and other church authorities.

    It states that the structures and rules of the church facilitated that cover-up. It also says that State authorities facilitated the cover up by allowing the church to be beyond the reach of the law.

    It claims that the welfare of children, which should have been the first priority, was not even a factor considered in the early days by State and church authorities.

    The preservation of the good name, status and assets of church institutions was the first priority, according to the report, which states that priests were seen as the most important members of the institution.

    The Commission says that it has identified 320 people who complained of child sexual abuse during the period 1975-2004.

    It also states that since May 2004 130 complaints against priests operating in the Dublin Arch Diocese have been made.

    The report details the cases of 46 priests guilty of abuse, as a representative sample of 102 priests within its remit.

    The report strongly criticises gardaí. It states that senior members of the force regarded priests as being outside their remit and it claims there are examples of gardaí reporting abuse complaints to the Diocese rather than investigating them.

    It states that in the 1960s, then Garda Commissioner Costigan's decision to hand one case to Archbishop McQuaid was inappropriate. It also states that the relationship between some senior gardaí and some priests and Bishops was inappropriate.

    No direct evidence of paedophile ring

    The report says it can find no direct evidence of a paedophile ring existing among priests in the Dublin Archdiocese although it says there were some worrying connections.

    The report highlights the case of a Fr Carney and Fr McCarthy whom it claims in one case both abused the same child.

    The abuse by Fr Carney often occurred at swimming pools sometimes when accompanied by another priest.

    The report states that it was not until 1995 that the Archdiocese began to notify the civil authorities of complaints of clerical abuse.

    The Commission concludes that in light of this and other facts every bishop's primary loyalty was to the church itself.

    All the Archbishops of the Diocese in the period covered by the Commission were aware of some complaints, according to the report.

    The move by the Archdiocese to take out insurance against potential compensation claims arising out of clerical abuse was according to the report an act of proving knowledge of child sexual abuse as a potential major cost to the Archdiocese.

    The report running to hundreds of pages details particular priests and the litany of abuse perpetrated by them.

    The HSE National Counselling Service has collaborated with the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre, the Church-funded Faoiseamh service, One-in-Four, Connect and the Samaritans to ensure that every caller affected by today's publication will be offered the service they feel is right for them.
    I don't care.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I don't care.
    I don't care that you don't care.

  4. #4
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    01-21-11 @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    471

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Just remember, this never, ever, ever has anything to do with the celibacy policy.
    Pan-Humanist Movement
    “The only real nation is humanity” ~ Paul Farmer

  5. #5
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    This is one of the reasons I hate organized religion. I hope every single one of those priests and every single person involved in the cover-up gets their ass thrown in jail.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #6
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    The Catholic Church has been abusing children and people since its conception.... as has most organised religions out there.
    PeteEU

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    I don't care that you don't care.
    I don't care that you don't care that he doesn't care.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Sov View Post
    Just remember, this never, ever, ever has anything to do with the celibacy policy.
    No. Expecting grown men to never have an orgasm for the rest of their lives by any and all outlets does not attract anyone with inner conflicts about their own sexuality. Nope.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Jefferson State
    Last Seen
    11-25-12 @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,545

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Lawsuits going on? I hope so.

    Celibacy ought to be optional, a special vow taken by someone who is in a closed retreat for the rest of his life. Or even temporary, a vow taken for a specific period of time.
    Last edited by windovervocalcords; 11-29-09 at 10:38 AM.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The Catholic Church has been abusing children and people since its conception.... as has most organised religions out there.
    That's hate speech.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •