Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

  1. #41
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Not all religions, just this one. I don't understand this part either. Baptists would just go to the cops. A generation ago they would simply have gone after the pepetrator. They would not have allowed this type of behavior to continue. Having said all that I think it's too simplistic to brand all religions, or even christians by the crimes of some who obviously aren't practicing christians.
    Like I said, it's one of only many reasons. And more generally, the issue stems from the fact that in many organized religions, at some point, the organization becomes more important to those in charge than the people who make it up, and that's why this sort of thing happens. And THAT is certainly not limited to Catholics or even Christians in general.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  2. #42
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Truthfully, it would only take a couple of prosecutions for aiding/abetting (fully valid, btw) to force their hand in cleaning up their act.
    I don't think so. There is a history of this type of behavior going back centuries in the catholic church. Add to this the chronic priest shortage....and you have a recipe for disaster. Still, like you, I'm all for prosecuting those who break the law and the catholic church needs to expunge these individuals from their ranks, no matter what country they inhabit.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    There is a history of this type of behavior going back centuries in the catholic church. Add to this the chronic priest shortage....and you have a recipe for disaster.
    However, prosecutions would reinforce the fact that there is a price to be paid for covering up or abetting this sort of felony act. Clearly, at this point in time, the Catholic Church hierarchy assumes, quite accurately, that they can act with impunity. They need to be disabused of that notion.

  4. #44
    Professor
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Arkansas
    Last Seen
    08-23-17 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    However, prosecutions would reinforce the fact that there is a price to be paid for covering up or abetting this sort of felony act. Clearly, at this point in time, the Catholic Church hierarchy assumes, quite accurately, that they can act with impunity. They need to be disabused of that notion.
    I believe we're doing just that here in the us. I don't pretend to know whether or not if this is happening in ireland.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. ~ Winston Churchill

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I believe we're doing just that here in the us. I don't pretend to know whether or not if this is happening in ireland.
    I think there is an unholy mingling of church and state in Ireland.

  6. #46
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The Catholic Church has been abusing children and people since its conception.... as has most organised religions out there.
    So have people in general: what's your point? Ok, these claims are just too wide sweeping and frankly arrogant. For many, religion is a place of healing, community and wholeness. Don't peg everyone based on some who have screwed up and need to go to jail. That line of argument is just as bad as the teabaggers saying "all liberals" such and such and liberals saying "all conservatives" such and such. Give me a break.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  7. #47
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords View Post
    Lawsuits going on? I hope so.

    Celibacy ought to be optional, a special vow taken by someone who is in a closed retreat for the rest of his life. Or even temporary, a vow taken for a specific period of time.
    Agreed. Priests in my church can marry. It's been that way since the beginning.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  8. #48
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I don't hate the religion because some of the priests molested children. I hate the religion because instead of assisting the authorities in putting them in prison, they tried to cover it up (and had enough pull that they were successful for decades).
    "SOME" in authority tried covering it up. Let's get it straight now.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  9. #49
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I believe we're doing just that here in the us. I don't pretend to know whether or not if this is happening in ireland.
    Well, I have a feeling this goes into the Protestant/RC divide in Ireland. I mean, there is a recent history here that has happened like no other in terms of relations between the two. I would bet the cops were RC and didn't want to expose their church to ridicule by Protestants. I'M NOT MAKING EXCUSES FOR THEM! They all need to be fired and left on a deserted island to fend for themselves. I'm just saying, there is more involved with this on the cops' side than simply a cover up for cover ups sake. The priests need to be defrocked and sent for penance in a monastery for the rest of their lives. You know, one of those monastery's where you can only get to it by rope and a pulley......
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: A new Catholic child sex abuse scandal in Ireland

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    "SOME" in authority tried covering it up. Let's get it straight now.
    If the archbishops knew, then it's fairly likely that the Pope knew.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •