Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 44 of 44

Thread: Polish president signs chemical castration law

  1. #41
    Banned Coolguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    01-26-10 @ 03:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    846

    Re: Polish president signs chemical castration law

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    It SHOULDN'T but yes, yes it does.
    No, no it doesn't, nor should it.
    One needs to divorce themselves from any emotional attachments when discussing such.


    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    If you haven't been raped then how do you even know what is equivalent or just?
    Equivalent?
    Just?
    You are speaking along the terms of 'Retributive Justice'. Something that has been shown to have little if any affect on actual crime.
    Secondly, whether or not I have been raped doesn't matter one bit unless I am letting it bias my position. Which I am not.



    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    You need to speak with rape victims, rapists, look at recidivism rates, and understand fully the rape issue before you claim that a short stint in prison (with or without the buttrape) is enough punishment for a rapist.
    I think I understand the 'Rape' issue better that you think I do.
    A persons personal suffering (after the fact) is part of the reason it is against the law in the first place and that personal suffering varies just as their opinions vary on what should be done with the rapist. For some death isn't good enough.
    And because those opinions are mostly fueled by emotion, it is a great example of why punishment should be devoid of such.
    In addition, five years is not a "short stint".

    As for statistics. lol
    Since you mentioned statistics like you know what you are talking about and I don't; Let me inform you as to the following.

    These are the current published Government Stats so don't complain about the dates.


    Bureau of Justice Statistics
    Recidivism of Prisoners Released in 1994
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/rpr94.pdf

    Those who have committed sexual assaults have the 2nd lowest recidivism rate. Homicide being the lowest. Rape coming in at 3rd lowest.

    Within 3 years of release, 2.5% of released rapists were rearrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for a new homicide.
    (First page, Highlights.)
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/rpr94.pdf
    Please note that these are only rearrests, not new convictions.
    And 2.5% isn't high at all.

  2. #42
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Polish president signs chemical castration law

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Wow, really? If they're still so much of a danger then keep them in jail. That's cruel and unusual punishment.
    As an aside does anyone know the reason why the wording "cruel and unusual" is used? It always seamed strange to me that its implied that the fact the punishment is unusual somehow makes it worse.

  3. #43
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Polish president signs chemical castration law

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Now, when a rapist gets a prison sentence and gets raped in the showers, I feel like a little Justice has been done there.
    I've been raped, as a child and as a young adult. It does nothing to undermine my position that our casual attitude toward prison rape is a blight upon our honor as a society and that we owe ourselves and our prisoners-- even rapists-- better than that.

    There is no justice in it. There is only more pain, and if I've learned anything about pain in my life, it's that there are two types of pain: pain that makes us more careful in the future, and pain that makes us want to hurt anyone and everyone else until we feel better.

    Neither kind of pain gives us the results we want from criminals-- and if you're hurting someone else to make yourself feel better, you have to inflict a Hell of a lot more pain on a Hell of a lot more people before you're satisfied. Balancing the scales is never enough.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Polish president signs chemical castration law

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    I've been raped, as a child and as a young adult. It does nothing to undermine my position that our casual attitude toward prison rape is a blight upon our honor as a society and that we owe ourselves and our prisoners-- even rapists-- better than that.

    There is no justice in it. There is only more pain, and if I've learned anything about pain in my life, it's that there are two types of pain: pain that makes us more careful in the future, and pain that makes us want to hurt anyone and everyone else until we feel better.

    Neither kind of pain gives us the results we want from criminals-- and if you're hurting someone else to make yourself feel better, you have to inflict a Hell of a lot more pain on a Hell of a lot more people before you're satisfied. Balancing the scales is never enough.
    Prison rape isn't all that common really. :\ I was sad to find out that it was just another thing blown out of proportion by Hollywood.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •