Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 271

Thread: Economy limping back to strength

  1. #81
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Tell me, did 1990s Somalia turn out well?

    I find it hysterical how everyone who praises Anarchy runs away when I cited a place that actually had anarchy.

    You people are so beholden to your ideology that you can't even see the forest for the trees.
    Somalia is just a strawman. Phoenix is not an anarchist.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #82
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    For rational convenience there are some who have the tendency to reclassify Somalia into whatever is....... convenient. They will either back away or list pointless opinions.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #83
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    For rational convenience there are some who have the tendency to reclassify Somalia into whatever is....... convenient. They will either back away or list pointless opinions.
    1990s Somalia is a perfect example of what happens when there is no legal structure provided by a stable government. Essentially 1990s Somalia with the exception of Somaliland is an anarchist "country" for lack of better word. The underlying notions that Phoenix pushes were actually in play in Somalia. It was little more than rule by force. 1990s Somalia is a good example to bring up whenever anyone pushes the notion that violence is a good way of defining legal structure in the absence of an actual government as to why they are full of crap. Was there solid, non-questionable land valuations there? No because the basis was violence.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #84
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Somalia is just a strawman. Phoenix is not an anarchist.
    He may not be, but the argument he presented very much is. And his argument on the basis of actual practice is total and complete garbage.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #85
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    He may not be, but the argument he presented very much is. And his argument on the basis of actual practice is total and complete garbage.
    He was arguing against the rule of law?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #86
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Hello? McFlyy?
    Sure you weren't. You just argued that violence was effective in producing the legal structure required for land to be a form of wealth rather then how it is done in civilized countries. You disagreed with my original argument by presenting another argument without a devil's advocate disclaimer. What else am I to think?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-26-10 @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    350

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    yap, somalia has too much freedom and democracy.

  8. #88
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    He was arguing against the rule of law?
    Indeed. Especially since he argued that the rich could do what the not so rich could not do and get away with it.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-26-10 @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    350

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    the pirates are pure capitalists.

  10. #90
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Economy limping back to strength

    Quote Originally Posted by scottsoperson View Post
    the pirates are pure capitalists.
    Capitalism is based on VOLUNTARY AGREEMENTS. I can't believe that obvious child thanked you for that.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •