Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 45 of 45

Thread: Justice Dept. Says Acorn Can Be Paid

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Justice Dept. Says Acorn Can Be Paid

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    James Madison said that 'general welfare' not prescription for unlimited government
    So did Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist 83.

    which pretty much nails the lid down on the coffin of the "General Welfare Clause = Unlimited Government" argument. None of the principals that forged the Constitution viewed it as anything more than explanatory phrase serving only as the justification for the enumerated powers assigned the federal government. That phrase was simply not a blank check, period.

  2. #42
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: Justice Dept. Says Acorn Can Be Paid

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    So did Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist 83.

    which pretty much nails the lid down on the coffin of the "General Welfare Clause = Unlimited Government" argument. None of the principals that forged the Constitution viewed it as anything more than explanatory phrase serving only as the justification for the enumerated powers assigned the federal government. That phrase was simply not a blank check, period.
    and yet neither of them convinced the cohort of the Constitutional Convention to revise it to express the specificity they later attributed to that provision


  3. #43
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,427

    Re: Justice Dept. Says Acorn Can Be Paid

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The Contract With America was the Republicans pledge "to bring to the floor [of the House] the ten bills, each to be given a full and open debate, each to be given a clear and fair vote, and each to be immediately available for public inspection".

    The ten items were brought to a vote. Most of them passed the House.

    What's your problem, just basic ignorance and a heartfelt desire to repeat Democrat talking points because regurgitation is easier than thinking for yourself?

    I don’t have a problem with talking points, maybe you were looking in a mirror when you said that and like magic it just popped up on your screen.

    My gig is pointing out facts, so I will just point at the fact that I posted for the prof, again, for your enjoyment but with more detail. Like this fact that evidently you call a talking point.

    The Citizen Legislature Act, which calls for “term limits to replace career politicians,”.


    In the House of Representatives, 23 candidates are running for re-election in 2006, Gasp, violating their term-limits pledge.

    Here’s the list of them. J.D. Hayworth, Steve Chabot
    George Radanovich, Dave Weldon, Charlie Norwood, Jerry Weller, Mark Souder, John Hostettler, Todd Tiahrt, Ed Whitfield, Gil Gutknecht, Roger Wicker, Charles Bass, Rodney Frelinghuysen, Sue Kelly, Mac Thornberry, Phil English, Steve LaTourette
    Bob Ney Walter Jones, Sue Myrick, Tom Davis, Zach Wamp
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  4. #44
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Justice Dept. Says Acorn Can Be Paid

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The Contract With America was the Republicans pledge "to bring to the floor [of the House] the ten bills, each to be given a full and open debate, each to be given a clear and fair vote, and each to be immediately available for public inspection".

    The ten items were brought to a vote. Most of them passed the House.

    What's your problem, just basic ignorance and a heartfelt desire to repeat Democrat talking points because regurgitation is easier than thinking for yourself?
    Wow, they didn't filibuster themselves? Seems that's all they know how to do now.
    It's time for a revolution in our country. Not a revolution forged with guns and bombs but a revolution forged of compassion and altruism. A revolution that extends a hand to those who don't have and who cannot. A revolution that makes Health Care available to all those in the US.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Justice Dept. Says Acorn Can Be Paid

    Quote Originally Posted by formerroadie View Post
    Wow, they didn't filibuster themselves? Seems that's all they know how to do now.
    You mean they learned from the democrats during the Bush administration?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •