Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    I thought people who didnt want jerbs were useless fodder that needed to be euthanized cause they didn't work hard for what they got like the rest of us werkin folks. Why would we count them?
    You can't just cull the herd, it's not PC.

  2. #12
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    lol, once again the definition of a word is not really the definition of a word.


    wtf does unemployed even mean?!


    Well, one might think it means without employment, but no that's too large a number. We've got trim the fat on this thing, guys!
    Aren't part-timers also taxed for social security? But yet they are considered unemployed (i.e., not working)? Something just doesn't seem right about that.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Link


    Looky here, it worse then the MSM and govt have been reporting.
    Not to burst your bubble but isn't CNBC part of the MSM?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #14
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    In this case, it's a technical term with a technical definition. The unemployment rate that is normally used is figured from people out of work who are seeking work. The number American gives is those people plus underemployed and unemployed no longer seeking a job.

    There are pushes to change the "official" figure to be the one that American uses, but from what I have seen, when it's hard times and democrats in office, it republicans who want to change it, and when republicans are in office for the rough times, it's democrats who want to change it. it probably will never change because both parties know that it would end up hurting them.
    Would you know the different advantages of using either definition in statistical analysis? I assume there are certain situations where one definition should be used over the other when doing specific calculations.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  5. #15
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Would you know the different advantages of using either definition in statistical analysis? I assume there are certain situations where one definition should be used over the other when doing specific calculations.
    You look at underemployment when you want to know how hard government programs to create jobs are failing.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #16
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Would you know the different advantages of using either definition in statistical analysis? I assume there are certain situations where one definition should be used over the other when doing specific calculations.
    No clue. That would be way over my head. Supposedly, including underemployed and those not looking for work is a more accurate figure, but no one really wants to change it since people would see, for example now, unemployment jump from 10 % to 17 %. The two figures are very closely related, so when one rises, the other does, and vice versa, so either works for comparisons as long as you are consistent, and the number American gave is available and I assume economists do work with it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #17
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Not to burst your bubble but isn't CNBC part of the MSM?
    I said "have been".
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I said "have been".
    And you are wrong, since I have seen both figures on MSNBC. It's not like the figure you quoted is some hush hush figure, it's well known.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    I guess holding a part time job means your unemployed. I have a part time job, but I tend have it, because I go to college. I like my part time job because I am it goes with the flow of my college classes. I can work some hours during the week, and then go to classes as well.
    Last edited by RyrineaHaruno; 11-23-09 at 08:38 PM.

  10. #20
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The 'Real' Jobless Rate: 17.5% Of Workers Are Unemployed

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    I guess holding a part time job means your unemployed. I have a part time job, but I tend have it, because I go to college.
    As I understand it, underemployed refers to people working part time who want to work full time. For example, since I am laid off again(though not for terribly long this time, just till first of the year), and I took a part time job to supplement my unemployment benefits(not that there are part time jobs open around here), I would still be counted as unemployed using the figure American posted, but not the figure that is more generally referred to as "the unemployment rate".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •