Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    I love how the wife of this man who was stuck in a recliner because he was 800 lbs blames their lack of health insurance for him staying in the recliner for that long. Wah, wah, wah, boo hoo, the mean old government should've paid for his knee surgery.

    COLUMBIA, S.C. — When an ambulance brought Daniel Webb home from the hospital after he hurt his knee in March, paramedics warned the then 550-pound man he probably wouldn't be able to get up from his recliner if they put him there, his wife said.

    Webb told them to leave him there anyway. He would sit in that recliner, slowly dying, for the next eight months. Finally, paramedics were called back to his Greenwood home on Wednesday because he was in a lot of pain.

    Webb's body was physically stuck to the power recliner and firefighters had to cut him from the chair to take him to the hospital. He died a few hours later, his body covered with sores and a "very bad odor," according to a police report.

    Webb, 33, didn't ask for help for all those months, because he was ashamed and didn't have health insurance, said his wife, Ada. He slept and used the bathroom in his chair and she cleaned it every day. The former preacher would post sermons online from the chair, and it wasn't long before he decided he was ready to go home to the Lord, she said.
    Oh, morbid obesity is a medical contraindication for knee replacement? Don't fret over small details like that. Oh, his weight ballooned up to 800 lbs while he sat in a recliner for 8 months with his flesh rotting from inactivity? It's the fault of our mean ol' healthcare system!!!

    Link added
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 11-23-09 at 10:54 AM. Reason: link added

  2. #2
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    He's dead. There's no point in mocking him now. And the fact that knee replacement was medically contraindicated because of his obesity hardly matters when he couldn't have afforded it in the first place.

  3. #3
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    Ahh stupid people.

    No this has nothing to do with lack of healthcare but more with the stupidity of people.

    However if the ever lasting threat of financial ruin had not been a factor one must wonder if the woman and man might have called for help earlier and a death could have been avoided.

    But then again.. 400 kgs man.. gezz.
    PeteEU

  4. #4
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    But then again.. 400 kgs man.. gezz.
    Yeah. One can't help but think that a sane medical establishment would have prescribed him amphetamines until he was small enough that replacing his knee wouldn't have been pointless. Or at least until he was capable of using a wheelchair.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    It sounds to me as if utilization review at the hospital decided that there was nothing more that could be done for him at the hospital, therefore he was sent home. They actually do the same for people who have insurance too. Some people just want to stay in the hospital

    I've no doubt that every effort was made to offer the man resources to help him. I work in a hospital and am very well acquainted with how things work, and help is always there for the uninsured.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Yeah. One can't help but think that a sane medical establishment would have prescribed him amphetamines until he was small enough that replacing his knee wouldn't have been pointless. Or at least until he was capable of using a wheelchair.
    Totally not done.
    Amphetamines would have probably killed him off sooner.

    Excuse me, but wasn't the man totally dependent on the wife bringing him food? And she sounds like she was totally co-dependent on him...

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    What happens every day in hospitals across America is that utilization review nurses review each chart to see if patients meet criteria to be inpatients. If the man didn't meet criteria, he didn't meet it. It wouldn't have been any different if he'd had coverage. If he didn't have coverage, they wouldn't have discharged him just because of lack of coverage. That's not how it works.

  8. #8
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Excuse me, but wasn't the man totally dependent on the wife bringing him food? And she sounds like she was totally co-dependent on him...
    It always astounds me that people who allow themselves to get so fat they can't walk seem to have no problem finding people willing to keep bringing them enough food to keep gaining weight. You have to love someone quite a bit to feed them while they're slowly absorbing a recliner-- the smell alone would be nearly intolerable-- so how can these people not be concerned with the fact that they're literally feeding them to death?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    It always astounds me that people who allow themselves to get so fat they can't walk seem to have no problem finding people willing to keep bringing them enough food to keep gaining weight. You have to love someone quite a bit to feed them while they're slowly absorbing a recliner-- the smell alone would be nearly intolerable-- so how can these people not be concerned with the fact that they're literally feeding them to death?
    It is rather unbelievable. Obviously there was quite a knowledge deficit on the part of both husband and wife. The man was a food junkie and his wife kept him supplied. Food addiction is very similar to other addictions. I've seen patients like this before. The families are inevitably enablers.

  10. #10
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: 800-Pound South Carolina Man Dies After Getting Stuck in Recliner for 8 Months

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    It sounds to me as if utilization review at the hospital decided that there was nothing more that could be done for him at the hospital, therefore he was sent home. They actually do the same for people who have insurance too. Some people just want to stay in the hospital

    I've no doubt that every effort was made to offer the man resources to help him. I work in a hospital and am very well acquainted with how things work, and help is always there for the uninsured.
    What! are you saying there are death panels!

    Sarcasm aside, I agree.
    PeteEU

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •