Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    Good news for a change. I wonder how the puritanical killjoys will try to tear down this finding?

    BBC News - Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    Drinking alcohol every day cuts the risk of heart disease in men by more than a third, a major study suggests.

    The Spanish research involving more than 15,500 men and 26,000 women found large quantities of alcohol could be even more beneficial for men.

    Female drinkers did not benefit to the same extent, the study in Heart found.

  2. #2
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 12:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    Conflicting information on nutrition, calories, alcohol, etc. annoy me to no end. I wish they'd all just make up their damn minds already!

  3. #3
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    Female drinkers did not benefit to the same extent, the study in Heart found.

    Well the ugly ones might.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  4. #4
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    40,828

    Re: Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    Good news for a change. I wonder how the puritanical killjoys will try to tear down this finding?

    BBC News - Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'
    Cool - We need a new slogan....

    Kill your liver, save your heart.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #5
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,831

    Re: Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Well the ugly ones might.
    You mean the ones with short hair, gunshot/knife wounds, rebel flag tattoos, and faint mustaches?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #6
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    You mean the ones with short hair, gunshot/knife wounds, rebel flag tattoos, and faint mustaches?



    after a heart healthy dose of alchohol, they look a lot better.... hiccup... trust me.....
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    These reports never address holistic concerns. Alcohol does liver damage, so having higher amounts of it to protect your heart makes no sense. It is bad for long term brain function, and it depletes B vitamins rapidly which can have other consequences. It stresses the kidneys. The list goes on.

    So yeah, maybe it's okay for the heart, but look at the whole body please.

    If you live a slovenly lifestyle you won't get benefits from drinking alcohol. You'd have a better chance at protecting your heart with routine exercise, cutting down on saturated fats, and cutting out things like smoking and drinking.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    These reports never address holistic concerns. Alcohol does liver damage, so having higher amounts of it to protect your heart makes no sense. It is bad for long term brain function, and it depletes B vitamins rapidly which can have other consequences. It stresses the kidneys. The list goes on.

    So yeah, maybe it's okay for the heart, but look at the whole body please.

    If you live a slovenly lifestyle you won't get benefits from drinking alcohol. You'd have a better chance at protecting your heart with routine exercise, cutting down on saturated fats, and cutting out things like smoking and drinking.
    Er, imbibing alcohol is 'drinking', colloquially at least...

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 09:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: Alcohol 'protects men's hearts'

    Incidentally, Tylenol is probably harder on the liver than Alcohol. Tylenol overdose=liver transplant (or death)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •