Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 343

Thread: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

  1. #151
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Was it genocide in Iraq with the surge?
    It was neither only a surge, nor is it even remotely similar to Afghanistan. You are out of your mind if you want to even compare the risks involved.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  2. #152
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    12-04-09 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    119

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Alright Armchair General, What's your point? You're suggesting our folks in country don't know what's going on either?
    No, they don't.

    They don't speak the language, they don't know the culture, they simply follow order that come from other people who don't speak the language or know the culture.

  3. #153
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    Because Politicians in Washington know better than Commanders on the ground in Iraq. How many Liberal Senators have visited Afghanistan btw? How many talk with the Commanders? This isn't some Union worker arbitration, these are real life and death scenarios.
    Commanders on the ground have a very limited perspective and do not see the big picture. That is why they are under the Commander in Chief in the chain of command. This is clear in our failed war on terror for the last 8 years as defined in the Rand Corp research commissioned by the Pentagon.

    It has been determined by them that a smaller military footprint , or no military footprint at all would be more effective than what we have been doing for the last 8 years.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #154
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report


    Here’s a report from Stars and Stripes, which I assume all of the news media I getting their info from. It gives a bit more detail than the report your link provided.

    One thing that got my attention was the part that says one ofthe main reason for low moral/stress and other psychological problems was multiple deployments/ third or fourth deployments.


    AP Newswire | Stars and Stripes


    I did some fact checkin, this bit from the U.S. Army Medical Department, looks like it has a lot of the same data the AP Writer has compiled. If so, some of the data that she used in her column was released March 6, 2008.Hardly breaking news, as a matter of fact looks like the picture of lazy journalism to me.


    < A team of Army behavioral-health professionals found the overall risk of mental-health problems among soldiers deployed to Iraq unchanged in 2007 compared to 2006. Soldiers serving their third or fourth deployment, however, were more likely to report such problems than those on their first or second deployments.>


    Army Releases Mental Health Advisory Team V Report
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  5. #155
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Here’s a report from Stars and Stripes, which I assume all of the news media I getting their info from. It gives a bit more detail than the report your link provided.

    One thing that got my attention was the part that says one ofthe main reason for low moral/stress and other psychological problems was multiple deployments/ third or fourth deployments.


    AP Newswire | Stars and Stripes


    I did some fact checkin, this bit from the U.S. Army Medical Department, looks like it has a lot of the same data the AP Writer has compiled. If so, some of the data that she used in her column was released March 6, 2008.Hardly breaking news, as a matter of fact looks like the picture of lazy journalism to me.


    < A team of Army behavioral-health professionals found the overall risk of mental-health problems among soldiers deployed to Iraq unchanged in 2007 compared to 2006. Soldiers serving their third or fourth deployment, however, were more likely to report such problems than those on their first or second deployments.>


    Army Releases Mental Health Advisory Team V Report
    Exactly, I find it a very weak argument that the troops want to be there when they are forced to go back again and again through stop loss orders.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    It was neither only a surge, nor is it even remotely similar to Afghanistan. You are out of your mind if you want to even compare the risks involved.
    No more than the left that blindly defends Obama's failure to make a decision in 3 months.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Exactly, I find it a very weak argument that the troops want to be there when they are forced to go back again and again through stop loss orders.
    So why hasn't Obama changed that?

  8. #158
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    So why hasn't Obama changed that?
    Because Obama leans too far to the right! If my choice for president had been elected, we would be out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

    However, it is the moderates that decide elections.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #159
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    The only ones playing politics are the Obama haters on the right. They don't care about the troops, just hurting Obama.




    So when is critisizm of the one, permitted?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #160
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama "very close" to Afghan troop decision: TV report

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    #1 You will have to first show where I said everyone that disagrees with Obama is an Obama-hater.

    Epic fail on your part, please go back into the closet.



    Quote and link to you critisizing the One... The Fail, sir, is all yours.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •