Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 108

Thread: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in WTC

  1. #71
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok then, what was the question?


    j-mac
    Back here, you said that because of trial rules Lynne Stewart got sensitive information from the government that she then leaked to terrorists. That's not what happened. That was my only point.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    I wonder why there haven't been any attempts on KSM's life...
    Because he has been protected by our Military in Cuba

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Because he has been protected by our Military in Cuba
    You'd think though that someone, somewhere, with some sort of pull would have at least made an attempt...

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    You'd think though that someone, somewhere, with some sort of pull would have at least made an attempt...
    Not there but in New York it could be a different story. Then again if you attack him Al Quaeda will be watching you. Better to let the government do it.

  5. #75
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Back here, you said that because of trial rules Lynne Stewart got sensitive information from the government that she then leaked to terrorists. That's not what happened. That was my only point.

    I may have merged two thoughts, I wasn't aware that certain people had to have things spelled out in such a literal way, I apologize for not making myself clear. however, the underlying concern is the same. In Rachman's trial it was Stewart who passed along a message that brought violence against one of our ally countries in the WoT. In this case who is to say that some sympathetic attorney won't do the same with intel? Can you say that would never happen?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #76
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    04-12-12 @ 08:42 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    64

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    The problem I have with the decision to try KSM in civilian court is that his guilt will be determined by a jury of his peers. New York has a sizable muslim population so it is likely there will be some in the jury pool. I'm not saying that a muslim would necessarily be sympathetic,but am concerned about the pressure from outside sources. Also defense would try to move the case to a city with a large muslim population. He may not walk,but I can see numerous mis-trials. I wouldn't want to be the muslim juror who voted to hang him.

    Also, as far as giving terrorists a platform,someone posted that nobody paid any attention to saddam on trial.However he was tried in Iraq and his mike was turned off numerous times. Things will be different here. Insofar as this being a show trial about Bush and waterboarding,the fact that he is being tried at all is due to the fact that Bush brought him under US jurisdiction. He could have left him for the pakistanies to interrogate. I doubt they would have bothered with the waterboard,instead skipping straight to the electricity.

  7. #77
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    Quote Originally Posted by underdog334 View Post
    The problem I have with the decision to try KSM in civilian court is that his guilt will be determined by a jury of his peers. New York has a sizable muslim population so it is likely there will be some in the jury pool. I'm not saying that a muslim would necessarily be sympathetic,but am concerned about the pressure from outside sources. Also defense would try to move the case to a city with a large muslim population. He may not walk,but I can see numerous mis-trials. I wouldn't want to be the muslim juror who voted to hang him.

    Also, as far as giving terrorists a platform,someone posted that nobody paid any attention to saddam on trial.However he was tried in Iraq and his mike was turned off numerous times. Things will be different here. Insofar as this being a show trial about Bush and waterboarding,the fact that he is being tried at all is due to the fact that Bush brought him under US jurisdiction. He could have left him for the pakistanies to interrogate. I doubt they would have bothered with the waterboard,instead skipping straight to the electricity.
    This fantasy of KSM being judged by a jury of his "peers" is ridiculous. He has confessed to being the mastermind of 9/11. His trial will be short and decisive. I only hope he gets life instead of martyrdom.

  8. #78
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,026

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    This fantasy of KSM being judged by a jury of his "peers" is ridiculous. He has confessed to being the mastermind of 9/11. His trial will be short and decisive. I only hope he gets life instead of martyrdom.
    Confession does not mean guilty.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  9. #79
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    This fantasy of KSM being judged by a jury of his "peers" is ridiculous. He has confessed to being the mastermind of 9/11. His trial will be short and decisive. I only hope he gets life instead of martyrdom.
    That's why this trial is such a joke. The people we're trying to impress, are the very ones that are going to insist that this is a kangaroo court.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: A diatribe defense: Pros say Khalid Shaikh Mohammed will act as his own lawyer in

    Not to mention evidence that will not be able to come forward to protect intelligence techniques and National Security.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •