Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 379

Thread: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

  1. #41
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    I am really not sure how any of this addresses what I said.

    You're trying to equate decisiveness with rashness.
    There is no necessary relationship between the two.
    The relationship doesn't have to be one of casual necessity, it can be conditional so long as it is the case in fact. Given that immediate action 'may' (that is, there is a fairly good chance) cause more trouble than it solves, immediately deploying more troops could fairly be considered rash. The only way decisiveness certainly isn't rash is if it is probably not going to result in more trouble than it solves. Because deploying more troops to Afghanistan could entangle us deeper in a war we aren't sure if it is in our interest to be further immersed in, sending more troops immediately on request is rash. On the other hand, immediately leaving is also not a good idea when you may not want to be that suddenly untangled from a conflict that deeply concerns your interests.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    She wants her son to receive the support that he and his comrades need to win the fight. How is that wrong?
    You realize its all just how you spin it right?

    She wants her son to receive the support that he and his comrades need to win the fight.

    Or go back in time 4 years

    She wants her son and his comrades to be brought out of harms way and removed from a war we shouldn't be in and has no defintive way to achieve victory.

    Do you HONESTLY believe that parents calling for the end of the Iraq War was doing so becasue they wanted to undercut the troops effort and not because they simply wanted their children safe? Do you think the majority were going "mwhahaha, here's how we can screw Bush and stop this war effort, by taking advantage of our sons situation" and not going "I just want my baby back safe and sound".?

    The REASON these parents are likely saying what they're saying, when it comes down to it, is that they want THEIR CHILD safe. This is a fully reasonable, understandable, natural mentality for parents. I'd rather that almost no parent is pleaing for something to be done in regards to this war and relating to their child that is for a reason other than they think it will best help their child.....people just disagree on what will best help them.

    But its for those reasons that a President should, in no way, decide on military strategy based on what PARENTS want. This is because a Presidents care first and foremost should be for the well being of the country while a Parents care first and foremost is likely to be for their child...and soemtimes those things may not be one in the same.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What is not supposed to happen? People using a military situation to try and score political points?
    You mean Obama?

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Cindy Sheehan of the right. Oh no wait....this one is legitimate because she's trying to make Obama look bad....
    Call me when this lady starts visiting Hugo Chavez and Hamas, and starts calling Obama a war criminal.

    Sorry, telling the Messiah to get up off his ****ing ass and make a decision doesn't even remotely equate to what Cindy "my son doesn't need a grave stone" Sheehan did.

  5. #45
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The relationship doesn't have to be one of casual necessity, it can be conditional so long as it is the case in fact. Given that immediate action 'may' (that is, there is a fairly good chance) cause more trouble than it solves, immediately deploying more troops could fairly be considered rash. The only way decisiveness certainly isn't rash is if it is probably not going to result in more trouble than it solves. Because deploying more troops to Afghanistan could entangle us deeper in a war we aren't sure if it is in our interest to be further immersed in, sending more troops immediately on request is rash. On the other hand, immediately leaving is also not a good idea when you may not want to be that suddenly untangled from a conflict that deeply concerns your interests.
    Your position is supported by probabilities that are based on your assumptions. Unless you can show that your assumptions are accurate, your position is unsound.

  6. #46
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,481
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you assume some one with less information about a situation is making the right decision, while some one with more information than her, you or I is wrong.
    He is like a dog's dick... all over the place.
    He is failing to follow his own pre election rhetotric and March 27 speech.
    He is failing to lead.
    He is failing.
    Epically.
    Our troops have to hate it.
    Our enemies savor it.

    WORDS... JUST WORDS.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNmJ70l1zA"]YouTube- March 27, 2009: The Day in 100 Seconds[/ame]
    Last edited by zimmer; 11-12-09 at 05:51 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  7. #47
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Mostly because it is easier said than done. Anyway, saying it isn't wrong; politicizing and moralizing it is.
    SO, since it's going to hard, we shouldn't do it? You say that as if the reinforcements aren't even available; non existant.

    It's hillarious how the Libbos have changed the nature of political debate since their boy got into office. Ya'll weren't saying that a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the land of steers and queers
    Last Seen
    06-03-10 @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    We need to raise taxes on rich guys like me to pay for the wars Bush mismanaged.

  9. #49
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You realize its all just how you spin it right?

    She wants her son to receive the support that he and his comrades need to win the fight.

    Or go back in time 4 years

    She wants her son and his comrades to be brought out of harms way and removed from a war we shouldn't be in and has no defintive way to achieve victory.

    Do you HONESTLY believe that parents calling for the end of the Iraq War was doing so becasue they wanted to undercut the troops effort and not because they simply wanted their children safe? Do you think the majority were going "mwhahaha, here's how we can screw Bush and stop this war effort, by taking advantage of our sons situation" and not going "I just want my baby back safe and sound".?

    The REASON these parents are likely saying what they're saying, when it comes down to it, is that they want THEIR CHILD safe. This is a fully reasonable, understandable, natural mentality for parents. I'd rather that almost no parent is pleaing for something to be done in regards to this war and relating to their child that is for a reason other than they think it will best help their child.....people just disagree on what will best help them.

    But its for those reasons that a President should, in no way, decide on military strategy based on what PARENTS want. This is because a Presidents care first and foremost should be for the well being of the country while a Parents care first and foremost is likely to be for their child...and soemtimes those things may not be one in the same.
    It's not spin. The fore, is wanting our troops have the resources they need to win the fight, therefore ending the war and boosting troop morale.

    The latter is defeatism, regardless of the motivation, it's still defeatism. History has proven that anti-war dissent only prolongs the war, it doesn't shorten it. We could have wrapped Vietnam up by '68, if not for the war protestors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Indeed.
    Tell us what you thought of Sheehan's actions and criticisms.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/archiv...tml#post588599

    Pelosi and Sheehan have nothing in common. Sheehan is a man.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/archiv...tml#post505741

    Holding hands with Hugo Chavez doesn't need demonizing. She's holding hands with a self professed enemy of the U.S.A.. Doesn't get much worse then that IMO. She's a lady who wont get over the fact that her son signed up for the military. He accepted to take all the risks involved in that particular line of work. He died. I feel sorry for her and her son. However dying is a risk people who join the military take. She can't blame the president for a choice her son made. She might as well blame Congress for providing the funding for this war or the 3/4 Americans who supported Bush when this war started.
    Now go bother your parents I'm tired of you following me around. Trust me on this one. Unlike you - consistency and words like logic aren't things I have trouble with.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-12-09 at 07:12 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •