Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 379

Thread: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

  1. #331
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The people have the power to elect whoever they wish, yet we rarely have over half the people voting. If everyone did their duty by voting, the bad actors would be voted out of office. The slap in the face is only half the people voting.

    As I said, we get the government we deserve.
    I disagree.

    If so many people are *that* unconcerned with politics - then them just going and voting won't mean anything "real" is coming from them through the ballot box. They might be the ones most likely to vote without thought, knowledge or concern and the least bit considerate of their actions.

    I at least respect those who vote in opposition of me - as long as they know what they're doing and feel that they're voting justly.

    I have no heart for people who do vote and don't know what or who they're voting for.

    The biggest thing is that the people who *do* vote do so out of care, consideration and understanding of the issues. So I would rather have only the informed voters votes - and everyone else stay home on election day. . . even if it means that the people voting are only 10% of the population.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The people have the power to elect whoever they wish, yet we rarely have over half the people voting. If everyone did their duty by voting, the bad actors would be voted out of office. The slap in the face is only half the people voting.

    As I said, we get the government we deserve.
    If I voted and you did not, then I got the government you deserve.

  3. #333
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I disagree.

    If so many people are *that* unconcerned with politics - then them just going and voting won't mean anything "real" is coming from them through the ballot box. They might be the ones most likely to vote without thought, knowledge or concern and the least bit considerate of their actions.

    I at least respect those who vote in opposition of me - as long as they know what they're doing and feel that they're voting justly.

    I have no heart for people who do vote and don't know what or who they're voting for.

    The biggest thing is that the people who *do* vote do so out of care, consideration and understanding of the issues. So I would rather have only the informed voters votes - and everyone else stay home on election day. . . even if it means that the people voting are only 10% of the population.
    I respectfully disagree. Unless everyone votes, we do not have a truly representative government. I consider voting a duty and if it were up to me, I would make it mandatory.

    I consider people who do not vote to be shirking their responsibility and give their complaints no credibility.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #334
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If I voted and you did not, then I got the government you deserve.
    I have always voted. Never missed an election.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #335
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Unless everyone votes, we do not have a truly representative government. I consider voting a duty and if it were up to me, I would make it mandatory.

    I consider people who do not vote to be shirking their responsibility and give their complaints no credibility.
    I disagree - I side with our electoral college in this area. A lot of people are idiots and will vote blindly. Maybe they know people, but there's always more than just people to consider when voting - referendums and other such things.
    You can't make people care.
    You can't make people learn.

    I don't like the idea of the ignorant fools leading our country. We should have a voters-competency test given before anyone can vote, honestly.

    Part of the reason why many are unconcerned is because there are no standards to meet - just showing up seems to be enough. I feel it's a priveledge you have to earn or at least prove you're capable of handling it, just like driving. It's just that important in my opinion.

    Would they give out passing grades to my fellow college students just because they showed up? No, they have to prove their worth before they can pass and be given priveledges because of it.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 11-20-09 at 10:44 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #336
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I disagree - I side with our electoral college in this area. A lot of people are idiots and will vote blindly. Maybe they know people, but there's always more than just people to consider when voting - referendums and other such things.
    You can't make people care.
    You can't make people learn.

    I don't like the idea of the ignorant fools leading our country. We should have a voters-competency test given before anyone can vote, honestly.

    Part of the reason why many are unconcerned is because there are no standards to meet - just showing up seems to be enough. I feel it's a priveledge you have to earn or at least prove you're capable of handling it, just like driving. It's just that important in my opinion.

    Would they give out passing grades to my fellow college students just because they showed up? No, they have to prove their worth before they can pass and be given priveledges because of it.
    The ruling elite, I have heard of this concept. Because they know what's best for us right?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The ruling elite, I have heard of this concept. Because they know what's best for us right?
    You're confusing what she said with Oligarchy.


    America's problem is that we give citizenship and rights to everyone without them having to do jack **** to earn them. While it seems like a good idea, it's really kind of backwards.

  8. #338
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The ruling elite, I have heard of this concept. Because they know what's best for us right?
    I want the general public who votes to be informed on the issues that they're voting on - not the 'elite' few - but the knowledgable many.

    I don't want any "I don't know what that means so I'll vote ___" without any regard for WHAT they just decided on.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I want the general public who votes to be informed on the issues that they're voting on - not the 'elite' few - but the knowledgable many.

    I don't want any "I don't know what that means so I'll vote ___" without any regard for WHAT they just decided on.
    inb4 Jim Crow Laws


    that's far too much to ask of the average American citizen!

  10. #340
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Paratrooper's Mom Begs Obama: 'End It'

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    inb4 Jim Crow Laws


    that's far too much to ask of the average American citizen!


    Your inb4 is what brought it up - Jim Crow laws were unconstitutional and should never have been put into play to begin with, voter-supported or not.

    If someone's going to tell me what to do they better damn know what they're telling me to do and have good reason for it.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •