Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 86

Thread: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    You tell that whenever there is any sort of distrubing attack, such as the Fort Hood incident, that there is "Epic Fail" written all over the FBI and CIA's front door.
    There is some epic fail in Fort Hood's SECURITY response to this attack. But, I'm not sure exactly what the FBI or CIA could have done to prevent this attack in lieue of the suspect committing a crime. We don't pursue thought crimes in this country. There didn't appear to be anything he did that was something he could be arrested for...UNTIL THE SHOOTING.

    We don't arrest people in this country in advance of criminal acts..."Oh, he might commit a crime, let's arrest him and detain him indefinitely."

    Duh.

  2. #12
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,480

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    If this guy was a radical Islamist, as some on here are claiming he was, then the military should have taken action. According to some interviews there are officers allegedly stating they reported him numerous times for anti-American sentiment and firebrand preaching. And nobody did anything. Of course there are also the claims that they didn't report him because of PC. Balderdash.

    Again, if the CIA and FBI were investigating this guy and the claims in the media about his radicalism turn out to be true and nobody called this serving U.S. Army officer on the carpet...well then somebody's jobs should be on the line.

    The only defense is that he never appeared to actually be a threat to anyone. Which will serve to undermine many statements that are being made about him right now.

    And now the machine is fostering theories that he may have been linked to the 9/11 hijackers in some way and attempting to hook with AQ.

    Boy, I'd sure like to hear what it is the investigators actually have before I make such grandiose leaps.
    *insert profound statement here*

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    If this guy was a radical Islamist, as some on here are claiming he was, then the military should have taken action. According to some interviews there are officers allegedly stating they reported him numerous times for anti-American sentiment and firebrand preaching. And nobody did anything. Of course there are also the claims that they didn't report him because of PC. Balderdash.

    Again, if the CIA and FBI were investigating this guy and the claims in the media about his radicalism turn out to be true and nobody called this serving U.S. Army officer on the carpet...well then somebody's jobs should be on the line.
    The person whose job should be on the line is his commanding officer, frankly.

  4. #14
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,480

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    We don't arrest people in this country in advance of criminal acts..."Oh, he might commit a crime, let's arrest him and detain him indefinitely."

    Duh.
    Actually we have arrested or detained many, many people both at home and abroad for just that reason.
    *insert profound statement here*

  5. #15
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,480

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    The person whose job should be on the line is his commanding officer, frankly.
    Agreed.




    .
    *insert profound statement here*

  6. #16
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    I believe they were afraid to act out of being labeled islamaphobic. The PR problems would have been very hard to over come. You arrest him/go after him and he gets a lawyer to go to the media, the Muslim groups like CAIR take the cause and it's a nightmare. People feared for their jobs.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #17
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,480

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I believe they were afraid to act out of being labeled islamaphobic. The PR problems would have been very hard to over come.
    That's a cop out. They had a duty to act and they failed. They should be mustered out of the military if that's their excuse. Cowards.
    You arrest him/go after him and he gets a lawyer to go to the media, the Muslim groups like CAIR take the cause and it's a nightmare. People feared for their jobs.
    You are setting up a false dichotomy here. There are plenty of steps that could have been taken that didn't involve arrest. And who cares if CAIR or the media get involved? There is a code of conduct and an oath. If he violated those there was plenty of grounds to deal with him in low profile ways. If he in fact did lecture fellow officers about killing non-muslims and pouring hot oil down their throats then he should have been psychologically evaluated at the bare minimum.
    *insert profound statement here*

  8. #18
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    That's a cop out. They had a duty to act and they failed. They should be mustered out of the military if that's their excuse. Cowards.

    You are setting up a false dichotomy here. There are plenty of steps that could have been taken that didn't involve arrest. And who cares if CAIR or the media get involved? There is a code of conduct and an oath. If he violated those there was plenty of grounds to deal with him in low profile ways. If he in fact did lecture fellow officers about killing non-muslims and pouring hot oil down their throats then he should have been psychologically evaluated at the bare minimum.
    They could have, but didn't. There are two reasons for this.

    1. They were wrong, he was a danger and didn't lead them to bigger fish.

    2. They were afraid to act because of politics.

    You decide.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #19
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Yeah, okay. If that is the case then a nice big portion of our intelligence community, the FBI, and the officer corp of the U.S. Army is an absolute joke...completely incompetent.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Officials: U.S. Aware of Hasan Efforts to Contact al Qaeda

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    They could have, but didn't. There are two reasons for this.

    1. They were wrong, he was a danger and didn't lead them to bigger fish.

    2. They were afraid to act because of politics.

    You decide.
    You're confusing the actions of the CIA/FBI (item 1) with the actions of his commanding officers (Item 2). His commanding officers would not have hoped for Item 1. And, there are other possibilities besides Item 2 to explain their failure to act.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •