Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 222

Thread: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

  1. #11
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Anyone still want to argue that this wasn't religiously motivated and that he wasn't a jihadist?
    K, and what do we do about it? This is one guy doing insane things maybe...maybe based on religion, we don't really know at this time. What is proper recourse for one of our soldiers going crazy and shooting up an army base? Do we invade a country? Which one? Do we outlaw Islam? What's the proper course of action should this event be as you think it to be?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    K, and what do we do about it? This is one guy doing insane things maybe...maybe based on religion, we don't really know at this time. What is proper recourse for one of our soldiers going crazy and shooting up an army base? Do we invade a country? Which one? Do we outlaw Islam? What's the proper course of action should this event be as you think it to be?
    You're asking way too many rational questions. Haven't you clued in to the theme of the thread?

  3. #13
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Who cares what his motivation was? Does it change the fact that he's a nutjob and killed several innocent people? Obviously, his behavior doesn't bespeak of the majority of peaceful Muslims across the world.
    Just out of curiosity... what % of Muslims do you think are 'peaceful'?

  4. #14
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Just out of curiosity... what % of Muslims do you think are 'peaceful'?
    In the US? Probably 85%+
    Overseas? Less, but I think that's more due to the fact that 3rd world countries with unstable governments are rarely peaceful, regardless of religion.

    What about you?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #15
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Just out of curiosity... what % of Muslims do you think are 'peaceful'?
    What is your point? There's no way to give an exact percentage. However, logic would dictate that if a majority of Muslims were extremist that we would be in far worse shape. As I said earlier in another thread, we would all probably be Muslims right now if that were the case.

  6. #16
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    In the US? Probably 85%+
    What about you?
    Sorry that I wasn't clear; I was speaking world-wide.
    I was going to say 99%.

    At 99%, that still leaves >10,000,000 non-peaceful Muslims.
    Perpspective: That's larger than population of New Jersey

    If 85% of the muslims in the US are peaceful, that leaves >420,000 that are not.
    Perspective: That's about equal to the population of Miami, and 80% the size of the US Army

  7. #17
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    What is your point? There's no way to give an exact percentage.
    I asked for -your- estimate. I'm not even going to ask you to substantiate that estimate, though I will ask for your reasoning.

  8. #18
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Sorry that I wasn't clear; I was speaking world-wide.
    I was going to say 99%.

    At 99%, that still leaves >10,000,000 non-peaceful Muslims.
    Perpspective: That's larger than population of New Jersey

    If 85% of the muslims in the US are peaceful, that leaves >420,000 that are not.
    Perspective: That's about equal to the population of Miami, and 80% the size of the US Army
    I think it depends on how we're defining peaceful. From my perspective, I was looking at what percentage of people would be strongly opposed to things like killing civilians in order to achieve some larger purpose. The fact that 85% would be strongly opposed doesn't mean that the other 15% are all for it or are going to do anything about it, but rather than they could be sympathetic to that perspective in some situations.

    For what it's worth, I'd assign a relatively similar percentage to Christians, Jews, Italians, the left-handed, and Americans in general.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  9. #19
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    How exactly does this look bad for them? Was he a board member? Did he scream "Allahu CAIRbar" as he went on his rampage? Or do you mean to say that because you've concluded that this was Islamic terror, all muslims are somehow responsible? Furthermore, would you say that the shooting in Orlando "looks bad for the [insert Hispanic organization] crew?

    Please advise.
    It looks bad for the CAIR crew as they have these pesky issues and uncomfortable questions to deal with.

    For, no matter how deftly they are dealt with, there are any number of millions of Americans who are not going to listen to reason.

    OBL 11/24/02

  10. #20
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Fort Hood shooting: Nidal Malik Hasan 'said Muslims should rise up'

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I think it depends on how we're defining peaceful. From my perspective, I was looking at what percentage of people would be strongly opposed to things like killing civilians in order to achieve some larger purpose. The fact that 85% would be strongly opposed doesn't mean that the other 15% are all for it or are going to do anything about it, but rather than they could be sympathetic to that perspective in some situations.
    That's fine, and that's probably why I have a higher %, as I was thinking about the % that think things like killing civilians is a legitmate means to their ends (which would obviously be much much smaller than those simply not opposed to it).

    Of that 1%, if 1% are of a mind to attack the US, and a mere 1% of that 1% succeed, that's 1000 attacks.

    And so, while the huge majority of the Muslims in the world might not ever even cosnider it, the threat is still very real.

    And if you think that 1% of the total seems to large.... Nader pulled ~3% in the 2000 election
    Last edited by Goobieman; 11-06-09 at 05:11 PM.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •