Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 64

Thread: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

  1. #11
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Shrug so conditions change
    Yes they do, and in extremely predictable ways when people embrace Leftist Economic policies that attempt to trump simple Capitalism.

    On to health care! Obviously the Dems will fix this too.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Yes they do, and in extremely predictable ways when people embrace Leftist Economic policies that attempt to trump simple Capitalism.

    On to health care! Obviously the Dems will fix this too.
    So in regards to unemployment what alternitives would you propose?

  3. #13
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,164

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Much of the reason that % unemployment jumped was a statistical one. The over all worker pool in the statistical model shrank yet again while the number of unemployed raised a tad. This means that the % would rise relative more, which it did.

    Basically it means, that people dropped out of the worker pool because they gave up looking for work according to the statistical model. Does not mean they are not unemployed any more, just that they are not counted as such.
    PeteEU

  4. #14
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,204

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Shrug so conditions change
    Not that simple when you rape tax payers for $1 trillion, then threaten to rape them for another $1.3 trillion to overhaul their healthcare.

    When you obviously have no idea what you're doing, perhaps you should be less involved, not more.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,204

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Much of the reason that % unemployment jumped was a statistical one. The over all worker pool in the statistical model shrank yet again while the number of unemployed raised a tad. This means that the % would rise relative more, which it did.

    Basically it means, that people dropped out of the worker pool because they gave up looking for work according to the statistical model. Does not mean they are not unemployed any more, just that they are not counted as such.
    By your measure, which is correct, the actual unemployment rate is likely more like 13 percent if you count those workers.

    Also, the administration keeps trying to count "saved jobs" as created jobs. Not sure how they justify that exactly, or how they can even know if a job is "saved".

    In heavy blue states like Michigan, New Jersey, etc, the unemployment rates are creeping close to 20 percent.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Not that simple when you rape tax payers for $1 trillion, then threaten to rape them for another $1.3 trillion to overhaul their healthcare.

    When you obviously have no idea what you're doing, perhaps you should be less involved, not more.
    So I'll ask you what I asked oftencold. In regards to unemployment what alternatives would you propose?

  7. #17
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,164

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    By your measure, which is correct, the actual unemployment rate is likely more like 13 percent if you count those workers.

    Also, the administration keeps trying to count "saved jobs" as created jobs. Not sure how they justify that exactly, or how they can even know if a job is "saved".

    In heavy blue states like Michigan, New Jersey, etc, the unemployment rates are creeping close to 20 percent.
    Yes and if you add the "under employed" aka those in part time work who want full time work, then it is near 18% nationally.

    But my point is that the only "spike" was mostly a statistical spike and the actual number of unemployed did not rise by such a relative large portion.

    The sad thing is that the % number is the one that will be talked about and that will promote even more doom and gloom. While it aint rosy it is also not the end of the world so to say. Things have improved relatively and if people get more gloomy and do not spend and companies do not hire, then the unemployment will start to feed off it self and increase and increase and that is a nightmare scenario.
    PeteEU

  8. #18
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,164

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Not that simple when you rape tax payers for $1 trillion, then threaten to rape them for another $1.3 trillion to overhaul their healthcare.

    When you obviously have no idea what you're doing, perhaps you should be less involved, not more.
    And that has pretty much nothing to do with the unemployment issue. Blaming government for what the private sector did is just pathetic. That is like blaming a raped woman for getting raped.
    PeteEU

  9. #19
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,204

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So in regards to unemployment what alternitives would you propose?
    Simple.

    Lower taxes on businesses, which reduces their risk dramatically, and makes it more feasible for them to EXPAND their businesses, which results in lots and lots of new hires.

    When you threaten to raise their taxes, it makes them lay off more people and operate ultra-lean in order to make a profit.

    That's why so many companies are showing profits. They've reduced their workforce by 25 percent and decided to "tread water". The risks are too great with what Obama is trying to do to hire people and expand into new markets.

    That's what we did last year at my company. We "streamlined" our workforce to prepare for the extra burdens we may face from the tax increases on businesses, and the capital gains rate changes that might result in a negative volume shift in our stock (people selling their stock before it hits).

  10. #20
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,204

    Re: Jobless rate tops 10 pct. for first time since '83

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    But my point is that the only "spike" was mostly a statistical spike and the actual number of unemployed did not rise by such a relative large portion.
    You're wrong there. Companies are laying off people in droves, particularly in the real estate and ancillary healthcare industries.

    And almost nobody is hiring in any meaningful measure.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •