Page 64 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 1236

Thread: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

  1. #631
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Name his illness. I'd say it's Jihad. How about you?
    Mentally unstable for me.

    And Jihad is not an illness, not medically recognized either


  2. #632
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Generalization.
    A few thousand complained.

    We are a religion of over a BILLION.
    That protest was nothing.
    Oh, it was nothing? What about when Muslims killed that author a few years back? I don't remember his name.

    "Nothing", you say?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #633
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    He wrapped himself in the beliefs and the actions of the islamic terrorist, to rationalize a justification for this mass murder spree...
    You don't know that yet. You don't know why he actually decided to murder those people.


    That said, still terrorism to me, as he took up a cause, whether it was for sincere or superficial reasons.
    I'm against the war in Iraq, but if I go kill ten people at the recruiting station that doesn't mean you can say I did it because I'm against the war. You have to verify that I did because of my protest against the war.

    Terroism Research...What is terrorism?
    The United States Department of Defense defines terrorism as “the calculated use of unlawful violence or threat of unlawful violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious, or ideological.” Within this definition, there are three key elements—violence, fear, and intimidation—and each element produces terror in its victims. The FBI uses this: "Terrorism is the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives." The U.S. Department of State defines "terrorism" to be "premeditated politically-motivated violence perpetrated against non-combatant targets by sub-national groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience.

    Outside the United States Government, there are greater variations in what features of terrorism are emphasized in definitions. The United Nations produced this definition in 1992; "An anxiety-inspiring method of repeated violent action, employed by (semi-) clandestine individual, group or state actors, for idiosyncratic, criminal or political reasons, whereby - in contrast to assassination - the direct targets of violence are not the main targets." The most commonly accepted academic definition starts with the U.N. definition quoted above, and adds two sentences totaling another 77 words on the end; containing such verbose concepts as "message generators" and 'violence based communication processes." Less specific and considerably less verbose, the British Government definition of 1974 is"…the use of violence for political ends, and includes any use of violence for the purpose of putting the public, or any section of the public, in fear."

    Terrorism is a criminal act that influences an audience beyond the immediate victim. The strategy of terrorists is to commit acts of violence that .draws the attention of the local populace, the government, and the world to their cause. The terrorists plan their attack to obtain the greatest publicity, choosing targets that symbolize what they oppose. The effectiveness of the terrorist act lies not in the act itself, but in the public’s or government’s reaction to the act. For example, in 1972 at the Munich Olympics, the Black September Organization killed 11 Israelis. The Israelis were the immediate victims. But the true target was the estimated 1 billion people watching the televised event.
    *insert profound statement here*

  4. #634
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I will agree that a connection would increase the position, but, i don't think its required.
    We'll just have to agree that we disagree. I don't see the things you're saying as any indication that this is a "terrorist" act. I don't see it any different than if he instead patterned himself over a movie and set about trying to depict that movie thorugh the killings. He seemingly sympathized with the terrorists, and took on some of their culture, but that alone does not make a mass murder into an act of terrorism in my eyes.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He was defending the guy, because this is the post he was responding to.
    No, even when you quote that, that is not DEFENDING the guy. It is saying that its a legitimate thing to assert that there may be other CAUSES for what lead to him doing this other than simply his religious beliefs. Again, that is not DEFENDING that is stating a CAUSE. Those are different things. If someone kills someone because they were picked on for years on end and finally snap, pointing the bullying out is not DEFENDING the act (essentially saying the act was justified or okay) but stating one of the CAUSES of the act (a reason why it occured).

    Those are two different things.

    With how you are trying to define "defend", you and everyone else saying this was purely religiously motivated are "defending" him by saying this isn't HIS, fault but the fault of his religion.

  5. #635
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Mentally unstable for me.

    And Jihad is not an illness, not medically recognized either
    I love how some people throw around terms like "Jihad" or "praise Allah" when they obviously haven't got a clue what they are talking about.

  6. #636
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Oh, it was nothing? What about when Muslims killed that author a few years back? I don't remember his name.

    "Nothing", you say?
    Who?


  7. #637
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Mentally unstable for me.

    And Jihad is not an illness, not medically recognized either
    True.
    Jihad is not an illness.
    More dangerously however, a pathological part of the religion of Islam.
    -
    Last edited by mbig; 11-06-09 at 12:39 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  8. #638
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, even when you quote that, that is not DEFENDING the guy. It is saying that its a legitimate thing to assert that there may be other CAUSES for what lead to him doing this other than simply his religious beliefs. Again, that is not DEFENDING that is stating a CAUSE. Those are different things. If someone kills someone because they were picked on for years on end and finally snap, pointing the bullying out is not DEFENDING the act (essentially saying the act was justified or okay) but stating one of the CAUSES of the act (a reason why it occured).

    Those are two different things.

    With how you are trying to define "defend", you and everyone else saying this was purely religiously motivated are "defending" him by saying this isn't HIS, fault but the fault of his religion.

    Not defending his actions, but definitely defending his motive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #639
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    You don't know that yet. You don't know why he actually decided to murder those people.

    True, but as a major in the Army who has never deployed to either Afghanistan or Iraq.

    Cowardice is a pretty safe bet. Using the enemies rhetoric to justify it to himself. Not so far fetched.


    I'm against the war in Iraq, but if I go kill ten people at the recruiting station that doesn't mean you can say I did it because I'm against the war. You have to verify that I did because of my protest against the war.

    Terroism Research...What is terrorism?
    [/quote]


    I understand I am speculating a bit. I have a strong feeling, though I won't be far off brother.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #640
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: 12 dead, as many as 31 injured in Fort Hood shootings

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I've head all the excuses, but itnever fails, when someone criticizes Islam, the Muslims are out in force. Why they can't muster up that kind of protest against Islamic extremists doesn't make Muslims look good. All we hear from the Muslims is lip service in their condemnation of Muslim terrorists.
    Okay.
    So you tell me what you expect Moderate Muslims to do. In detail if you please.

    Also include the strategies and tactics you would suggest we use to try and eradicate the Taliban and Al Qaeda. Something the West has failed to do.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •