Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 989

Thread: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

  1. #931
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Only if I support Domestic Partnership

    I never have. In fact I've often warned anti-gm folks on DP not to either, like Navy. I told them that granting Domestic Partnership enables gay-marriage. However, it would appear that most anti-gm are both short sighted and under the naive assumption that gays would stop at Domestic Partnership.

    Suppose some minority wanted to have multiple wives, but the majority was against it. Eventually enough anti-polygamist acquiesce to some Domestic Partnership equivalent to polygamy, identical to marriage in every way except the name. How easy would it be to challenge in court and win "marriage" for polygamists.

    They called my argument a Slippery-Slope and dismissed it out of hand.

    IMO they don't look very wise today.
    What would the polygamist argument be in front of the SCOTUS?

  2. #932
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    What would the polygamist argument be in front of the SCOTUS?
    Freedom of religious practice.

    (Think Muslim)

  3. #933
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,865
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Only if I support Domestic Partnership

    I never have. In fact I've often warned anti-gm folks on DP not to either, like Navy. I told them that granting Domestic Partnership enables gay-marriage. However, it would appear that most anti-gm are both short sighted and under the naive assumption that gays would stop at Domestic Partnership.

    Suppose some minority wanted to have multiple wives, but the majority was against it. Eventually enough anti-polygamist acquiesce to some Domestic Partnership equivalent to polygamy, identical to marriage in every way except the name. How easy would it be to challenge in court and win "marriage" for polygamists.

    They called my argument a Slippery-Slope and dismissed it out of hand.

    IMO they don't look very wise today.
    What exactly is wrong with polygamy?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #934
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    What exactly is wrong with polygamy?
    This thread isn't about polygamy.

    This one, however, is:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...y-why-not.html
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-11-09 at 12:11 PM.

  5. #935
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    What would the polygamist argument be in front of the SCOTUS?
    I really, really, really like women.

  6. #936
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's old news, learned all about it years ago and formed my position from there.

    Care to address my argument now?
    Your argument that it has to be a fundamental right in order to be discrimination?

    If that's what you are referring to....again...you are wrong. Governmental limitations placed on ANY right or privilege can be deemed discrimination if it does not meet the required interest showing depending on the tier of scrutiny it receives under equal protection analysis.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #937
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Kal, I suggest you get in on that Polygamy thread, it's getting fun!

  8. #938
    Advisor LiveUninhibited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-11-10 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    549

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I do not support immoral people getting married either. So your argument is useless.
    You would be in the minority of those against gay marriage in that case, as there is no widespread movement to prevent hedonists or the like from getting married, so why focus upon gay people?

    We are not denying anyone anything. They can marry anyone of the opposite sex they want just like everyone else.
    Yes and with anti-miscegenation laws, everybody could marry within their own race. Somehow you fail to see that parallel. You can apply arbitrary restrictions that apply to everybody, but they'll only meaningfully apply to some, i.e. those with different sexual preferences for another race or the same gender.

    I will not support the lifestyle. It is wrong just like polygamy etc.
    In what way is allowing others to form a marriage contract supporting their lifestyle? I don't support people marrying for money, but if they want to that's their business.

    If that were the case we would not even be having this argument.
    It is absolutely possible for intelligent people to disagree on what is logical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    More red herrings.



    Dude if you are not going to stick to the subject and continue with the "race" thing that has nothing at all to do with it, we are done here. You know my position, do you want to continue to beat a dead horse?

    I receive my marching orders from God, and I really don't care one bit what you think about that.

    They can marry anyone of the opposite sex they like, and that is correct and equal, period.
    Dude, it's called an analogy. When you took the SAT did you write red herring everytime you were supposed to find the analogous relationship?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    It is discrimination based on gender. The genders are treated the same but not equally when one can do what the other gender can not.
    If you think about it, anti-miscegenation and anti-SSM are both completely about sexual orientation. It was considered sexually deviant and unnatural for the races to mix romantically in the past. It is still considered sexually deviant and unnatural to have homosexual relations today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Wow it's like you didn't even Google the quote and read the ruling in full and learn about the Lemon Test.
    I pretty much don't care about what the law says when arguing about how things should be, nor should anybody, as it is not dependent upon truth or logic. If they had compelling arguments, you didn't present them. What you did present was fallacious.

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    They obviously don't see the divorce rates. A relationship can take a VERY bad turn once you wake up and realize you're legally bound to that bastard/bitch until death or nullification of said contract. Either way, it's an expensive set of chains to try and take off. Let em have it. >: D and if their divorce rate skyrockets up past the straights, we can rub their noses in it. OR we just all live happily ever after humping whatever gets our rocks off.
    It's almost a certainty that lesbians would have lower divorce rates and male homosexuals would have higher.

  9. #939
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Freedom of religious practice.

    (Think Muslim)
    But the discrimination applies equally to all religions where as the the discrimination regarding gay marriage does not apply equally to the sexes.

  10. #940
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    01-21-10 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    744

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    I just think this argument revolves around the fear of americans that this will lead to gay sex becoming mainstream. Mothers and fathers all over the country are afraid they will come home and find their sons or daughters in the sack with a friend of the same sex. This is a real worry, but guess what, it happens everyday, somewhere in this country, some young person is engaged in this behavior, and it is o.k, it really is. I just do not happen to think that if this becomes mainstream(and it has already), that this will stop young people from following their instinct, and you are either born with an attraction for the same sex, or you are not.

    You simply cannot legislate this away, let people be free, freedom is always the best option!

Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •