Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 989

Thread: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

  1. #921
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    01-21-10 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    744

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    I just hope we can get more openly gay people out of the army, and more openly radical muslims in!

  2. #922
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    haha I'll ask them right after I ask them which traditions (aside from walking and pooping) have remained the same throughout history.
    Walking is a tradition?




  3. #923
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Walking is a tradition?



    Not everyone follows tradition, Some people are just rebels.

  4. #924
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No Jerry...you are wrong.

    Under equal protection analysis, "Fundamental" rights receive a higher degree of scrutiny. But there is nothing in the Constitution that requires a right to be fundamental to be scrutinized under equal protection. Quite the opposite.
    Your mere disagreement and say-so means exactly dick. Provide evidence that I'm wrong.

  5. #925
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Gender discrimination is a no no just like racial discrimination is. Equal protection 14th amendment.
    Age discrimination is a no-no, but you have to be of legal age to marry.

    Familial relation discrimination is a no-no, but you can't marry your first cousin.

    Disability discrimination is a no-no, but you can't marry the mentally incompetent.

    Sex discrimination is a no-no, but you can't marry the same-sex.

    Discriminating against marital status is a no-no but you can't marry someone if you and/or they are already married.

    Medical information is private, but you have to divulge any STD or other permanent illness.
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-10-09 at 08:53 PM.

  6. #926
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    a man can do something a woman can not do and vice versa solely because because of their gender.
    They can both marry someone unrelated and neither can marry someone related.

    They can both marry someone of legal age and neither can marry a minor.

    They can both marry someone of sound mind and neither can marry the mentally incompetent.

    They can both marry someone of the opposite sex and neither can marry someone of the same sex.

    They can both marry someone of who's unmarried and neither can marry someone who is married.
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-10-09 at 08:57 PM.

  7. #927
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Your mere disagreement and say-so means exactly dick. Provide evidence that I'm wrong.
    Its not "mere disagreement". I'll attach equal protection 101...but you are going to have to take the time to read it.

    There are three levels of analysis under equal protection depending upon the nature of the right involved and the class of individuals.

    Suspect classes and fundamental rights receive the highest scrutiny.
    non suspect classes and/or rights that are not fundamental receive standard scrutiny.
    There is an intermediate level that the court sometimes employs.

    Let me search around for a link and you can read a little more indepth if you choose.

    Here's a link I found with a quick search that isn't bad...it explains the process fairly well. I was looking for something a little more user friendly...but the info in this is accurate.
    http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/proj...pcscrutiny.htm
    Last edited by disneydude; 11-10-09 at 09:28 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #928
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Its not "mere disagreement". I'll attach equal protection 101...but you are going to have to take the time to read it.

    There are three levels of analysis under equal protection depending upon the nature of the right involved and the class of individuals.

    Suspect classes and fundamental rights receive the highest scrutiny.
    non suspect classes and/or rights that are not fundamental receive standard scrutiny.
    There is an intermediate level that the court sometimes employs.

    Let me search around for a link and you can read a little more indepth if you choose.

    Here's a link I found with a quick search that isn't bad...it explains the process fairly well. I was looking for something a little more user friendly...but the info in this is accurate.
    Levels of Scrutiny Under the Equal Protection Clause
    That's old news, learned all about it years ago and formed my position from there.

    Care to address my argument now?

  9. #929
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's old news, learned all about it years ago and formed my position from there.

    Care to address my argument now?
    Your argument is "same but equal".

  10. #930
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Your argument is "same but equal".
    Only if I support Domestic Partnership

    I never have. In fact I've often warned anti-gm folks on DP not to either, like Navy. I told them that granting Domestic Partnership enables gay-marriage. However, it would appear that most anti-gm are both short sighted and under the naive assumption that gays would stop at Domestic Partnership.

    Suppose some minority wanted to have multiple wives, but the majority was against it. Eventually enough anti-polygamist acquiesce to some Domestic Partnership equivalent to polygamy, identical to marriage in every way except the name. How easy would it be to challenge in court and win "marriage" for polygamists.

    They called my argument a Slippery-Slope and dismissed it out of hand.

    IMO they don't look very wise today.
    Last edited by Jerry; 11-11-09 at 01:34 AM.

Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •