Page 79 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 989

Thread: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

  1. #781
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Epic Mountain
    Last Seen
    12-28-09 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,384

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    This debate is old and asinine.

    Shall we stop now?

  2. #782
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Why don't you educate yourself and find out. (Can you read a graph?)

    Attitudes are changing rapidly throughout the country....only the old stubborn Republicans are hanging in there.

    BTW NAvy....if you read the chart....Virginia is actually middle of the road, #25 of the states most in favor of gay marriage. Alabama and Kentucky and other badwoods states are near the bottom....pretty much where I would expect them to be if the issue were interracial marriage.
    Virginia amended it's State Constitution and thus polls are irrelevant here. IN the context of what you're saying, I agree and why I think it a mistake for the gay community to push this fake issue now. Why not wait until you stand a chance, it's 0-31 in referendum.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  3. #783
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by EpicDude86 View Post
    This debate is old and asinine.

    Shall we stop now?
    Why would gay people stop?

    I'd think it is a fairly important issue to them.

  4. #784
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Exactly.

    I understand my those against gay marriage would want the issue to stop. The tide is against them and coming fast.
    Once the crack in those walls gives....look out.
    The reality is, the polls are changing rapidly and gay marriage will exist sooner than most of us even thought realistically possible.
    10 years ago I hoped that I would see it at some point in my lifetime.
    Now...its not even a question and I expect to see it while I am still relatively a young man.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #785
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Exactly.

    I understand my those against gay marriage would want the issue to stop. The tide is against them and coming fast.
    Once the crack in those walls gives....look out.
    The reality is, the polls are changing rapidly and gay marriage will exist sooner than most of us even thought realistically possible.
    10 years ago I hoped that I would see it at some point in my lifetime.
    Now...its not even a question and I expect to see it while I am still relatively a young man.
    I don't know man this says different...

    PORTLAND, Maine - Maine voters repealed a state law Tuesday that would have allowed same-sex couples to wed, dealing the gay rights movement a heartbreaking defeat in New England, the corner of the country most supportive of gay marriage.

    Gay marriage has now lost in every single state 31 in all in which it has been put to a popular vote. Gay-rights activists had hoped to buck that trend in Maine known for its moderate, independent-minded electorate and mounted an energetic, well-financed campaign.

    With 87 percent of the precincts reporting, gay-marriage foes had 53 percent of the votes.

    Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law - More politics- msnbc.com


    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #786
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I don't know man this says different...

    PORTLAND, Maine - Maine voters repealed a state law Tuesday that would have allowed same-sex couples to wed, dealing the gay rights movement a heartbreaking defeat in New England, the corner of the country most supportive of gay marriage.

    Gay marriage has now lost in every single state 31 in all in which it has been put to a popular vote. Gay-rights activists had hoped to buck that trend in Maine known for its moderate, independent-minded electorate and mounted an energetic, well-financed campaign.

    With 87 percent of the precincts reporting, gay-marriage foes had 53 percent of the votes.

    Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law - More politics- msnbc.com


    I don't think that means much. Compared to how people viewed homosexuals in the early 80's, this is pretty huge progress. I think it's only inevitable that things will continue to do so. This issue isn't going to go away and it will continue until gay marriage is allowed.

  7. #787
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I don't think that means much. Compared to how people viewed homosexuals in the early 80's, this is pretty huge progress. I think it's only inevitable that things will continue to do so. This issue isn't going to go away and it will continue until gay marriage is allowed.
    I agree. I am against gay marriage only as I don't think it is marraige. I am not against gay couples having all the same benefits as heterosexual married couples. Call it civil unions or whatever, but don't call it marraige. I know it is just

    I also think more people see it like I do than people on either side are willing to admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #788
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I don't think that means much. Compared to how people viewed homosexuals in the early 80's, this is pretty huge progress. I think it's only inevitable that things will continue to do so. This issue isn't going to go away and it will continue until gay marriage is allowed.
    I don't know, I believe same sex marriage has seen its high water mark. Even with astronomical turnout during the 2008 Presidential election and in massively blue states like California, ssm gets absolutely torched.
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  9. #789
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    I don't think that means much. Compared to how people viewed homosexuals in the early 80's, this is pretty huge progress. I think it's only inevitable that things will continue to do so. This issue isn't going to go away and it will continue until gay marriage is allowed.
    I agree. I am against gay marriage because I don't think it is marraige. I am not against gay couples having all the same benefits as heterosexual married couples. Call it civil unions or whatever, but don't call it marraige. I know it is just semantics, but oh well.

    I also think more people see it like I do than people on either side of this issue are willing to admit.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-09-09 at 06:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #790
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I don't know man this says different...

    PORTLAND, Maine - Maine voters repealed a state law Tuesday that would have allowed same-sex couples to wed, dealing the gay rights movement a heartbreaking defeat in New England, the corner of the country most supportive of gay marriage.

    Gay marriage has now lost in every single state 31 in all in which it has been put to a popular vote. Gay-rights activists had hoped to buck that trend in Maine known for its moderate, independent-minded electorate and mounted an energetic, well-financed campaign.

    With 87 percent of the precincts reporting, gay-marriage foes had 53 percent of the votes.

    Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law - More politics- msnbc.com



    How does that say different. Ten years ago, this wouldn't have even been close. 2 years from now the result will likely be even closer or gay marriage may win outright.
    The reality is....the change in attitudes and demographics is changing the face of this issue rapidly.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 79 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •