Page 48 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 989

Thread: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

  1. #471
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Thankyou. Those definitions for plurality prove you wrong. Where is your definition for majority, and why did you not provide the link for the definitions you first used:



    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    Majority --
    1. The greater number or part; a number more than half of the total.
    2. The amount by which the greater number of votes cast, as in an election, exceeds the total number of remaining votes.

    Plurality --
    A large number or amount; a multitude
    The number by which the vote of the winning choice in such a contest exceeds that of the closest opponent.

    Note that it does not specify by how many % or points, etc. it should be bigger; it simply says "greater", "more than half", "exceeds"...

    Please provide a link for this copy/paste, as not sourcing copy/pastes is plagiarism.

  2. #472
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    I understand that civil wars are never simple; I also understand that skimershes were common well before the war actually begun...

    "The North did abolish slavery, but not really, because in fact it was abolished years after the war, all because a Federal Govn. and Federal Laws, etc., etc.," THE NORTH MADE DESCISION TO GO TO WAR for the sake of abolition of slavery, but it could not make a descision to change few laws (on its own territories!!!) that at that time were very new as was the country itself??!! Please, don't.

    But when I hear that your civil war was about noble agenda of freeing the slaves, I feel compelled to ask why didn't the North abolish slavery until after the war, if that was the reason it started the war in the first place?
    First off just stop now you don't know anything about the subject alright can you at least admit that. Because if you knew anything about the US Civil War you would know that the NORTH DIDN'T START THE WAR , the first shot's were fired by General Pierre G.T. Beauregard commander of the South Carolina Brigade.

    As for the rest of your post I have already answer your Question on why the North couldn't just free the slaves. Also the Civil War wasn't just fought over Slavery there were many reason behind I suggest you go and try to learn some of the History behind the US Civil War before trying to discuss it any futher.

  3. #473
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Thankyou. Those definitions for plurality prove you wrong. .
    They sure do!

    Let me repeat them for you:

    plurality - Definition of plurality at YourDictionary.com[/url]

    plu·ral·ity (plo̵o ral′ə tē)

    noun pl. pluralities -·ties

    1. the condition of being plural or numerous
    2. a great number; multitude

    3. the holding of two or more church benefices at the same time
    any of the benefices so held
    4. ☆ the number of votes in an election that the leading candidate obtains over the next highest candidate if candidate A gets 65 votes, B gets 40, and C gets 35, then A has a plurality of 25

    5. majority (sense )


    plurality - definition of plurality by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

    plu·ral·i·ty (pl-rl-t)
    n. pl. plu·ral·i·ties
    1. The state or fact of being plural.
    2. A large number or amount; a multitude.

    3. Ecclesiastical
    a. Pluralism.
    b. The offices or benefices held by a pluralist.
    4.
    a. In a contest of more than two choices, the number of votes cast for the winning choice if this number is not more than one half of the total votes cast.
    b. The number by which the vote of the winning choice in such a contest exceeds that of the closest opponent.

    5. The larger or greater part.
    [/QUOTE]

    Number "4" gives the definition as a term; while number "5" gives a definition of "plurality" as majority.

    If you can't see it, I am not your oculist.

  4. #474
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    They sure do!

    Let me repeat them for you:

    I didn't ask for a repeat, I asked for your source for the definition of majority you provided. Further, you have not provided any definition for majority in your repeat .

    Last, do the math in your definition example. In the case of voting, which is the context in which you used the word, a minority candidate who wins a plurality can be the winner.


    I'm just wondering what, actually, it will take, for you to concede error. I'm thinking nothing Pretty much a perfect example of a hack.

  5. #475
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    First off just stop now you don't know anything about the subject alright can you at least admit that. Because if you knew anything about the US Civil War you would know that the NORTH DIDN'T START THE WAR , the first shot's were fired by General Pierre G.T. Beauregard commander of the South Carolina Brigade.

    As for the rest of your post I have already answer your Question on why the North couldn't just free the slaves. Also the Civil War wasn't just fought over Slavery there were many reason behind I suggest you go and try to learn some of the History behind the US Civil War before trying to discuss it any futher.

    I'm thinking neither history, nor definitions, nor math, are the forte of the poster in question

  6. #476
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    First off just stop now you don't know anything about the subject alright can you at least admit that. Because if you knew anything about the US Civil War you would know that the NORTH DIDN'T START THE WAR , the first shot's were fired by General Pierre G.T. Beauregard commander of the South Carolina Brigade.

    As for the rest of your post I have already answer your Question on why the North couldn't just free the slaves. Also the Civil War wasn't just fought over Slavery there were many reason behind I suggest you go and try to learn some of the History behind the US Civil War before trying to discuss it any futher.
    O, looky!

    "On March 4, 1861, Abraham Lincoln was sworn in as President. In his inaugural address, he argued that the Constitution was a more perfect union than the earlier Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, that it was a binding contract, and called any secession "legally void".[75] He stated he had no intent to invade Southern states, nor did he intend to end slavery where it existed, but that he would use force to maintain possession of federal property." (Wiki)

    He DID NOT INTEND TO END SLAVERY! Brilliant!

    "The South sent delegations to Washington and offered to pay for the federal properties and enter into a peace treaty with the United States. Lincoln rejected any negotiations with Confederate agents because the Confederacy was not a legitimate government, and that making any treaty with it would be tantamount to recognition of it as a sovereign government..."

    And so the South decided to take what was on THEIR TERRITORY!

    Yeah...

  7. #477
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    I didn't ask for a repeat, I asked for your source for the definition of majority you provided. .
    It's in the same links I already gave you, all you need is to type in "majority" instead of "plurality", but since one dictionary stated plurality as "The larger or greater part", while the other explicitly stated definition of "plurality" as "majority", you have to be really slow not to recognise it.

    And you have to be really out of touch with any sense of personal dignity to continue with your charade.

    Bye!

  8. #478
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    It's in the same links I already gave you, all you need is to type in "majority" instead of "plurality", but since one dictionary stated plurality as "The larger or greater part", while the other explicitly stated definition of "plurality" as "majority", you have to be really slow not to recognise it.

    And you have to be really out of touch with any sense of personal dignity to continue with your charade.

    Bye!
    heh .... funny. Since you're talking about VOTING .... definitions that apply to VOTING are operative.

    Also, you never did link up that majority definition. I think it's because it was even worse for your position than the plurality ones you did link. (Also, why no link to the original plurality def? )

  9. #479
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    O, looky!

    "On March 4, 1861, Abraham Lincoln was sworn in as President. In his inaugural address, he argued that the Constitution was a more perfect union than the earlier Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union, that it was a binding contract, and called any secession "legally void".[75] He stated he had no intent to invade Southern states, nor did he intend to end slavery where it existed, but that he would use force to maintain possession of federal property." (Wiki)

    He DID NOT INTEND TO END SLAVERY! Brilliant!

    "The South sent delegations to Washington and offered to pay for the federal properties and enter into a peace treaty with the United States. Lincoln rejected any negotiations with Confederate agents because the Confederacy was not a legitimate government, and that making any treaty with it would be tantamount to recognition of it as a sovereign government..."

    And so the South decided to take what was on THEIR TERRITORY!

    Yeah...
    Oh so you really want to go here then alright then go back to my very first post on the subject and lets talk about the Kansas-Nebraska act along with the Wilmot Proviso don't start on something you have no concept about and no Wikki will not help you. As I also stated Slavery was just one part of the reason the Civil War started what do you know of the 10th Adm.

    Oh and the NORTH DIDN'T STARTED THE WAR have you read all of Mr. Lincoln address nothing like taking one line out of the whole address. See he nor Congress could end slavery what part of the of how the US Govn works that you don't understand so we and other can help you to understand why the North nor Mr Lincoln couldn't abolish Slavery.

  10. #480
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by elena View Post
    it's in the same links i already gave you, all you need is to type in "majority" instead of "plurality", but since one dictionary stated plurality as "the larger or greater part", while the other explicitly stated definition of "plurality" as "majority", you have to be really slow not to recognise it.

    And you have to be really out of touch with any sense of personal dignity to continue with your charade. :d

    bye!
    who give a flying **** the bottom line is the citz of maine voted as a majority to abolish this law end of the discussion.

Page 48 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •