Page 44 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 989

Thread: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

  1. #431
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    But the debate in the US (like it was in Europe) has been hijacked by especially the radical religious right and together with the radical gay movement, it has turned into something that it, it is in reality not.
    Is it? The religious right is at fault? Really?

    Fact of the matter is that Proposition 8 in California failed for one reason and one reason only: the bigots that voted for their Messiah in California also voted FOR Prop 8. They didn't want any of that tolerance in their neighborhoods, not. Roughly twenty percent of all Messiah voters in California had to have voted for Proposition 8, assuming 100% of McCain voters supported it, which didn't happen.

    The LEFT wrecked gay marriage in California, not the Right.

  2. #432
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    You mentioned government contracts, not me. You stated marriage is nothing but a government approved contract. I'm asking why I cannot enter into this contract with my sister.
    Because your sister hates you?

    In reality because incestuous relationships are bad, medically speaking, for the offspring, or, more precisely, the children of those offspring.

    Because incestuous relationships tend to involve some element of child abuse, so it's questionable whether true unfettered consent is possible in that case. Brainwashing becomes a possibility.

    But hey, if there's no Messiah Care to make me or my children pay for your genetically defective grandchildren of an incestuous marriage, go ahead, marry as many of your sisters as you can.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 11-04-09 at 07:11 PM.

  3. #433
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    What would you call 3 out of 5?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post

    Majority

    ?
    And two of my opponents said that it's both...

  4. #434
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Plurality win for candidate A.

    Good! So, can I say "A was voted by a majority of people?" or "A was voted by a plurality of people?"

  5. #435
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    Good! So, can I say "A was voted by a majority of people?" or "A was voted by a plurality of people?"
    It was clearly stated several times that by definition that is a plurality win without majority.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    And two of my opponents said that it's both...
    You don't have "opponents" just bad math skills.
    Last edited by Ikari; 11-04-09 at 07:13 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #436
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    How long have you lived in the United States?....just curious
    Why are you not curious how long ago I learned to read?

  7. #437
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Yes they are getting older do you live in Maine???
    Irrelevant. Getting older does not mean they're changing their social positions. Unless of course you can prove they are. I got a tip. They aren't.

    Over the past 10 Years the Population of Maine has been getting smaller. In 2000 we had around 1.6 Million Living in the State we are now down to around 1.2 Million and of these over 45% of them are over the age of 45. The highest # of folks leaving and not returning are the age groups between 18-25. Maine Ranks in the top 10% of folks entering the US Military per popultaion, also for per population Maine is one of the highest in folks under the age of 30 moving and never returning to the State.
    AGAIN - For the 4th time. What does this have to do with political positions? What does you living in Maine have to do with a population that is solidly left leaning as far as voting goes and has been for nearly 20+ years? For your argument to work you have to find a connection with age and changing voting patterns. You have not.

    Maine is a republican State if you take out Portland and Lewiston-Auburn Population between then they make up 1/3 of the States Population and are the two biggest Blue area in the State.
    Maine in the elections :

    Maine once again displayed it status as a blue state, with Democrat Barack Obama taking the state with 57.71% of the vote and a difference of 126,650 votes. Maine has voted Democratic since 1992 and is the only state other than Nebraska to split its electoral votes, though it has not yet done so.

    It is also the only state in New England where a county voted for Republican John McCain, with Piscataquis County giving McCain roughly 50.7% of the vote.
    In the 1960s, Maine began to lean toward the Democrats, especially in Presidential elections. In 1968, Hubert Humphrey became just the second Democrat in half a century to carry Maine thanks to the presence of his running mate, Maine Senator Edmund Muskie, although the state voted Republican in every Presidential election in the 1970s and 1980s. Maine has since become a left-leaning swing state and has voted Democratic in five successive Presidential elections, casting its votes for Bill Clinton twice, Al Gore in 2000, John Kerry (with 53.6% of the vote) in 2004, and Barack Obama in 2008. Republican strength is greatest in Washington and Piscataquis counties. Though Democrats have carried the state in presidential elections in recent years, Republicans have largely maintained their control of the state's U.S. Senate seats, with Ed Muskie, William Hathaway and George Mitchell being the only Maine Democrats serving in the U.S. Senate in the past fifty years.
    Any talk of Maine being Republican is blown out of the water. Seriously. I mean you've got a SINGLE county going for McCain and with a difference of a few thousand votes. My comment that this is a sign of a dying right wing majority is undisturbed. Maine is leaning to the left.

    Hmm a Blue State since the 80s really let see 1980 went for Mr. Reagan 1984 went again for Mr. Reagan in 1988 went for Mr. Bush Sr. in 1992 went for Mr. Perot in 1996 went for Mr. Clinton in 2000 split down the middle for both Mr. Bush and Mr. Gore in 2004 it went for Mr. Bush Jr. barely and in 2008 for Mr. Obama.
    What does this have to do with being a blue lean state? But lright Mr "I live in Maine". I'm getting sick of your inability to put an argument that doesn't rely on a position of authority together. It's not so much that you can't provide any kind of coherent explanation for your beliefs. But that you can't even debate those which are presented to you. But I'll just leave you and your great knowledge of sociology principles be for now with this little fact :

    Ross Perot achieved a great deal of success in Maine in the presidential elections of 1992 and 1996. In 1992 as an independent candidate, Perot came in second to Bill Clinton, despite the longtime presence of the Bush family summer home in Kennebunkport. In 1996, as the nominee of the Reform Party, Maine was again Perot's best state.
    As I said. Regardless of whether you live in Maine, **** a chick from Maine or sleep with a donkey in Maine. Maine is proof that the right wing position is losing ground. This is proven in the elections and voting patterns of the individuals. Not the knowledge of some guy who says he knows better because he lives there. I seriously do not know where you get your great information from. But a quick check on the internet will show you how erroneous you are not only as far as voter patterns in Maine are concerned but on who won the elections of the state you claim to live in.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 11-04-09 at 07:16 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #438
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    Good! So, can I say "A was voted by a majority of people?" or "A was voted by a plurality of people?"
    No, you cannot say that candidate A was voted by a majority of people. Half is not a majority. Half plus one, is a majority. As stated, candidate A in your scenario is a plurality win.

  9. #439
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You don't have "opponents" just bad math skills.


    Really bad math skills .....

  10. #440
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    So Elena,

    You really want to talk about the US Civil War and it's History then fine let do it. What shall we discuss .
    Just this:

    What declaration of the Southern states preceded the war?

    When was slavery abolished?

    When did the war begin, and when did it end?

Page 44 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •