Page 41 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 989

Thread: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

  1. #401
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Please indicate where in the constitution or its interpretation that granting expediency of PRIVATE CIVIL contracts is a government obligation or a right of citizens..
    People have the right to contract, especially over their estate. Many of these things, especially property and money issues, are intricately entangled with the government itself.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #402
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    It seems to me that the demographic that generally represents themselves as “liberal” claim that government controlled health care should happen because polls show a majority of the people want it, but when a majority of voters vote down gay marriage, it’s about individual rights?
    I thought both issues were primarily seen as human rights.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  3. #403
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    People have the right to contract, especially over their estate. Many of these things, especially property and money issues, are intricately entangled with the government itself.
    As I said before, gay, single, and non-married people have all the capabilties to contract the same things covered by state marriage contracts. You couldn't list one thing that wasn't.

    Anyone can contract with anyone their will, property rights, guardianship, etc. ANYONE!

    The only difference is that hetero couples are given an expediant process via the government which was enacted through LEGISLATION. Hetero couples do not have to use this.

    If non-hetero people wish to have the same expediant process then they need to contact their local representative or start a propisition to have it LEGISLATED.

    Its not a RIGHT to have the process expediant.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  4. #404
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    OK, geniuses

    There were 6 people taking part in a vote.

    candidate A got 3 votes;
    candidate B got 1 vote;
    candidate C got 1 vote;
    candidate D got 1 vote.

    Who won?
    Did he win by majority or plurality?

  5. #405
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Marriage is simply a government issued contract. Nothing more, nothing less.
    No it's not when I was married in the STATE OF MAINE my Ex and I never had any Contract from the City or State. We went to the Town Hall filled out some paperwork so we could file Taxs as a Couple they nevr ask us or gave us any Contract or Marige Lisc. once again folks no one has been able to produce a single part of the US Const./Bill of Rights or and YS Code that states who and how you can be married.

    Hence this is the whole crux of the discussion if the US Govn. doesn't have any law on the Books nor does the US Const. or the Bill of Rights state anywhere on who and how we are to be married then why are we even having these items brought to vote.

  6. #406
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    As I said before, gay, single, and non-married people have all the capabilties to contract the same things covered by state marriage contracts. You couldn't list one thing that wasn't.

    Anyone can contract with anyone their will, property rights, guardianship, etc. ANYONE!

    The only difference is that hetero couples are given an expediant process via the government which was enacted through LEGISLATION. Hetero couples do not have to use this.

    If non-hetero people wish to have the same expediant process then they need to contact their local representative or start a propisition to have it LEGISLATED.

    Its not a RIGHT to have the process expediant.
    It is in the execution of your will towards your estate and the handling of it. Not to mention the varying insurance, tax, ect. conditions which come along with the marriage license. If there was no "right" to process contract; government could refuse a vast majority of contract by not processing them till situations occur which are favorable to the State. Since contract is a right, the government has to be able to accept and process those contracts on a reasonable time scale. Not to mention the monetary difference in processing one contract as opposed to several different ones, some necessitating the use of a lawyer.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #407
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    What overturned slavery in the U.S., Elena? Just a tip...it wasn't a majority vote.
    Did majority accept it?

  8. #408
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    And did the majority object?
    What do you think the civil war was about?

    You really don't know your US History well...do you.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #409
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Hence this is the whole crux of the discussion if the US Govn. doesn't have any law on the Books nor does the US Const. or the Bill of Rights state anywhere on who and how we are to be married then why are we even having these items brought to vote.
    Because marriage used to not be ward of the state. It was originally a religious practice. It was usurped by the State and thus the complications began.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #410
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What do you think the civil war was about?

    You really don't know your US History well...do you.
    DD she/he is from the Ukrainian hence I'm guessing she/he really doesn't know the dynamics of the US Civil War

Page 41 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •