Page 33 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 989

Thread: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

  1. #321
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    jackalope, I gave you a definition of "plurality" and a definition of "majority" taken from online free dictionary, show me the difference, please.

    If you listen all your life to gobbledy-gook your politicians spin around the meaning of the words of your language, it's your problem, but don't expect everyone to follow your suit.

    Please, show me the difference in definitions of these two words.

    The difference was explained by Ikari many posts ago. Majority is one more than half. Perhaps your sticking point is in identifying what is the whole? The whole is all votes cast for a particular office or issue. Percents are whatever percent various candidates or positions get. If the winner with the most votes gets more than half, they've won a majority. If the winner with the most votes gets less than half, they've won a plurality.

    Actually, I kind of think you do know the difference, b/c you've failed to provide your definition link, even after being asked twice. I think your link will explain to you why you're wrong, as well.

  2. #322
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Since the contract specifies behaviors of the State, the State is a signatory to that contract and thus has the same right not to contract with couples whose marriages it disapproves of.
    Not really as the majority of what the contract covers deals with your estate and the handling of it and access to it by others. Thus is more about your property than it is anything the government wants done. The complications are in there purposefully as to not allow the government from being divorced from marriage. I would dare say that most of the "benefits" which come with marriage, especially in regards to taxes and such, should be done away with.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #323
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    There may be 10 000 apples on a tree you are under, but you can take into account only those apples that are in your pocket. The rest are out of your reach, they are not yours.

    If those 6% of the total of your state, town, street did not bother with the issue you can't count them. They chose not to bother with your vote. And thus yours are only the remaining 94% of the total -- those who did take part in your voting. These 94% of the total are your 100% when you are talking of the voting.

    Maybe it is difficult for a future PhD to grasp, but children usually learn %% at the age of 9. Feel free to ask questions.
    I'm not going to ask questions of someone who does not understand totals. The 6% were still PART OF THE VOTE. They still voted on the system. The whole is 100%. Not this crap you're trying to spew so you can try to backtrack as to not look like a total idiot. But damage is done on this one, now stop being stupid.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #324
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    There may be 10 000 apples on a tree you are under, but you can take into account only those apples that are in your pocket. The rest are out of your reach, they are not yours.

    If those 6% of the total of your state, town, street did not bother with the issue you can't count them. They chose not to bother with your vote. And thus yours are only the remaining 94% of the total -- those who did take part in your voting. These 94% of the total are your 100% when you are talking of the voting.

    Maybe it is difficult for a future PhD to grasp, but children usually learn %% at the age of 9. Feel free to ask questions.
    Do comments like this make you feel good about yourself? Clearly you have self esteem issues.

  5. #325
    Professor Charles Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    03-21-10 @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Murder contract, prostitution contract, drug contract, etc.
    Those are government contracts?
    It was the Austrasians, that hewed on bravely through the thick of the fight, it was they who found and cut down the Saracen King.

  6. #326
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    The difference was explained by Ikari many posts ago. Majority is one more than half. Perhaps your sticking point is in identifying what is the whole? The whole is all votes cast for a particular office or issue. Percents are whatever percent various candidates or positions get. If the winner with the most votes gets more than half, they've won a majority. If the winner with the most votes gets less than half, they've won a plurality.

    Actually, I kind of think you do know the difference, b/c you've failed to provide your definition link, even after being asked twice. I think your link will explain to you why you're wrong, as well.
    jack, if you haven't noticed, Elena is NEVER NEVER EVER EVER wrong. We all are a bunch of idiots, and she's the smartest person in this thread. Can't you see that?

  7. #327
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    11-26-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    737

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    49 is larger, but it's not greater than half since half is defined at 50.


    50 what?

    If %%, then any original number is 100%, half of that number will be your 50%.

    If 4 is 100%, then 50% of it will be 2.

    If 94% of total voters is 100% of those who voted, then 47% of 94% of total voters will be 50% of those who voted. And 49% of 94% of total voters would be bigger than 47% of 94% of total voters that formed 50% of those who voted.


  8. #328
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
    Those are government contracts?
    They could be contracts. The right to contract isn't just limited to contract with the government. All contract is at some point legally recognized and binding. Which is why when contract is violated, you can take it to court.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #329
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    a) Anal intercourse as well as w-on-w has nothing to do with logic, freedom or liberty;

    b) the opposition to shoving "gayness" into everyone's face has nothing to do with religious bigotry;

    c) And look what good politically correct promotion of "gayness" done to European societies: let's face it, Europe is going down the same road erosion of all moral principles and preoccupation with perversions took Ancient Rome;

    d) Public cowardice before political correct gestapo is not a triumph of liberty.
    Well hello Homophobe-- is this your first gay thread?

    Gestapo? A nazi reference-- very good. Beck has taught you well.

  10. #330
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

    Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    So did your country have slavery when slavery was accepted by the majority of your country? Yes or no?
    What overturned slavery in the U.S., Elena? Just a tip...it wasn't a majority vote.

Page 33 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •