If those 6% of the total of your state, town, street did not bother with the issue you can't count them. They chose not to bother with your vote. And thus yours are only the remaining 94% of the total -- those who did take part in your voting. These 94% of the total are your 100% when you are talking of the voting.
Maybe it is difficult for a future PhD to grasp, but children usually learn %% at the age of 9. Feel free to ask questions.