Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

  1. #11
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Fresh candidates with Zero past puppet government experience required.

    Would be a good start.
    Easier said than done.

    OBL 11/24/02

  2. #12
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Fresh candidates with Zero past puppet government experience required.

    Would be a good start.
    The Kabul Government is, at best, a puppet government. Their rule stops three blocks away from their offices.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    Then if we really expect them to meet the goals that we set forth in order to supply them with weapons and troops then they should, which they haven't for years, show some kind of proof that they are at least trying to make things better rather than worse. Therefore the added incentives that I mention earlier just might be a good idea in order to prod things in certain ways and directons that betters our troops interests and safety.

    At this point and for several years there has been zero added incentive for them to do anything but stall and feed off our resources and military.

  4. #14
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,255

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Fresh candidates with Zero past puppet government experience required.

    Would be a good start.
    Those Afghans have shown themselves to be above wheeling and dealing, haven't they?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #15
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Then if we really expect them to meet the goals that we set forth in order to supply them with weapons and troops then they should, which they haven't for years, show some kind of proof that they are at least trying to make things better rather than worse. Therefore the added incentives that I mention earlier just might be a good idea in order to prod things in certain ways and directons that betters our troops interests and safety.

    At this point and for several years there has been zero added incentive for them to do anything but stall and feed off our resources and military.
    I see the problem as we ultimately wish Afghanistan to be a Democracy, whereas it is frivolous to have a Democracy in Afghanistan. Tribe politics is all about corruption, and the tribal leaders who do want power within the Karbul government bring their corruption with them.

    Good luck finding an uncorrupt candidate.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    It makes it much harder to be corrupt in the name of a entire nation with a precison guided hellfire missile aimed down at you...

    Just tell them that is the way it is going to be...set rules and guidelines with Zero tolerance...see how fast they become more willing to make the right decisions for their country.

  7. #17
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    Just being associated with these people diminishes the US. We should just kill AlQaeda and stay out of Afghani politics.

  8. #18
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    Just being associated with these people diminishes the US. We should just kill AlQaeda and stay out of Afghani politics.
    It takes more than military success to defeat insurgents. Insurgency grows where a corrupt and weak government does not provide security, justice, and opportunity. Unless these underlying problems are resolved, the military can kill insurgents forever, and more will emerge. Insurgency is a symptom of deeper ills. The rub is that these deeper ills are not military, but political, economic, and social--things that armed forces are not prepared to fix.
    The Civilian Surge Myth | The New Republic

    OBL 11/24/02

  9. #19
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    The fact that Karzai cheat in a election isn't important, the fact that he has weak ruler he can barely run a city is. It is vital that the government in Afghanistan be both strong enough to run the country and not be willing to allow terrorists to use their country as a haven. Democracy is worthless when you don't actually control the country you are supposed to be representing. Supporting a dictator might work in the short term, but that has a history of coming back and biting us in the ass. There really aren't going to be any easy solutions to the challenges we face.

  10. #20
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Won’t fight runoff: Abdullah Abdullah

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    The fact that Karzai cheat in a election isn't important, the fact that he has weak ruler he can barely run a city is. It is vital that the government in Afghanistan be both strong enough to run the country and not be willing to allow terrorists to use their country as a haven. Democracy is worthless when you don't actually control the country you are supposed to be representing. Supporting a dictator might work in the short term, but that has a history of coming back and biting us in the ass. There really aren't going to be any easy solutions to the challenges we face.
    His biggest flaw is that he's corrupt. It's only going to be a matter of time before some Taliban or A.Q. representative knocks on his door and with a big smiling face gives him a bag of cash.

    I think it's time to show the government what happens when you don't listen to sound advice. We should see how well they fair without us in their midst, fighting for their legitimacy.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •